Meta Power Essential Fox 2019

Timbow

Jan 5, 2019
Eastbourne
Hi all,

I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Meta Power Essential Fox but just before I do I wondered if anyone with experience of the Meta Power could give my their thoughts on sizing? I’m 5’9 (175cm) so Commencal recommend a M bike. On the specs it seems a little smaller than a M Canyon Spectral:eek:n so wondered if I should consider sizing up to a L?

The bike also comes with a Fox coil shock with a 450 coil on the M and at 88kg kitted up this looks right on the spring calculators i found online. Anyone a similar weight who could share their experience?

Crust E. Skidmark

Nov 1, 2018
'Merica
At 5'9" you are definitely a M. If you like stretched out then a L might suit you more. I'm same height and am really comfy on my M bike, very balanced.
I'm about same weight 195 loaded up and a 500# spring on the RS coil is right on the money for sag. 2 turns past no rattle and 25% sag. Set the coil unloaded. The coil is amazing.

Timbow

Jan 5, 2019
Eastbourne
Thanks Crust E for the reply, really helpful. Going Medium and I’ve ordered a 500 coil so just got to wait patiently for it to arrive!

Timbow

Jan 5, 2019
Eastbourne
Absolutely loving riding it! How are you getting on?

2A8A0D0A-B7F9-44F1-9951-22994432176F.jpeg

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Loving it as well. Made a few changes to contact points and a 38mm rise bar. The Maxxis DD tyres are great over rough stuff but I also got a second set of wheels with Ardent Race's for longer tarmac/gravel rides which turns out make a huge difference to the range in eco over flatter rides.

Timbow

Jan 5, 2019
Eastbourne
Sounds great, what sort of increase in range are you getting with the ardent? I’m about to go the other way and have just bought a maxxis dhf and moving the hr to the rear. Hopefully to help with the muddy riding conditions on the forest single track I’m on most of the time. Just worried what it’s going to do to my range!

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
I wouldnt worry about the range of the HR2 v Agressor on the rear if most of your riding is off road. The good thing with a DHF on the front is that it works equally well with the HR2 on the back in winter as it does with an Aggressor on the rear for summer duties. The Ardent Race's only really make a difference on flatter tarmac and hardpack cycle paths where I'm using way less motor assistance to maintain 15mph. They have pretty much doubled my range when I use the bike on the flat Cheshire plain as I'm using next to no support in ECO compared to the extra effort required to keep the draggy DD tyres rolling but I'll only be using the bike with them fitted in the same way I'd use a gravel bike. I'd get nowhere near that much extra range on proper off road trails. Anything with proper off road I use the wheelset and tyres that came from Commencal. I was thinking of doing something similar to yourself with the tyres but decided to stay off the muddier trails this winter to keep everything one winter newer so to speak.

Timbow

Jan 5, 2019
Eastbourne
Hi damo, thanks I’m really pleased with the white!
I have had a spin on the canyon but my friend is significantly taller than me - the canyon is XL and my Commencal is M - so as it was way too big for me it’s difficult to give a fair comparison!
It was between the canyon and commencal for me too, after test riding a few different motors I decided I wanted a bike with the shimano steps motor and the spec level and prices are very similar on the two bikes. Tbh I struggled for weeks going back and forth trying to make a decision between the two!!
If it helps I’ve been mega happy with the metapower and I know my friend loves his canyon, so I think whichever one you go for you will have great fun riding! ?

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
It was a close run thing for me also. The deciding factor came down to the faster rolling rear end on the Meta Power 29, the coil shock and not wanting to have to carry 2 different sized spare tubes.

That and I prefer the less industrial look of the Commencal.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles