Meta Power 29er vs 27 - Opinions Please!

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Hi Everyone

Ebike newbie here, but have seriously ridden mechanical bikes for 20 years or so. It's now time to step up the fun and get an Ebike.

I really like the look of the Meta Power, but can't decide between the 29 and 27. I've ridden 29 and 27.5 bikes over the years, and like the benefits of both, which makes the decision harder.

My main intended use for the new ebike will be to ride rocky technical ups and downs over longer distances that I am currently riding (around 30km over 2-3 hrs). I am based in the northern beaches of Sydney, Australia, where trails are not groomed, the rock drops and step ups are very challenging, and warrant the use of a long travel bike (160mm+). I'm thinking the assisted torque of the ebike will help me get up more tech climbs so I can enjoy even more technical downhills over a 3 hr ride.

So any comments or opinions of the 29 vs 27 would be appreciated to help me make the decision!

DrChris

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I'd say a 29er, in general, is better overall if you are 5'11"+. Shorter, it's a wash. At 6'1", I'd go 29er next time. Looking at 29er DH bikes now.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I'm 5'9 and have a 29er hardtail and a 27.5 Focus Jam2 ebike. I find the 29 inch wheels on my hardtail to be quite "large" after getting plenty of k's on the ebike. really hard to tell what makes the difference as they are two totally different bikes. I reckon you probably have to try the same bike (ebike if that's what your are after) with both sizes to really know. So many variables that there is no solid formula on paper.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hey mate , I have both and the 29er rolls over the ruff stuff better and you have a much greater tire choice and have found the 29 easier to pick ride lines.
You have 2 metas a 29 and 27.5 ?
Tyre width seems to make a huge difference , it’s well documented now that fatter tyres roll faster as do larger wheels . I would love to see a comparison of say a 2.4 29 er and a 2.6 27.5 .
The ideal situation would be ride both bikes back to back wich is unlikely unless you visit the shop in Andorra . I wonder what tyre sizes the 29 meta would take , it has 2.4 rear and 2.5 front ,will iether end take larger ?
My 29er trail bike has 2.4 tyres and my ebike 2.6 on 27.5. On the ebike I hit stuff much harder , rocks etc and the fatter tyre is definatly more forgiving and probably less likely to damage a rim with larger air volume . Love to try both though , I would have the same dilemma if I was buying a new one now .

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
Hey DrChris,

I rented a 27.5 meta power for a couple days but ended up getting the 29er as I love riding my Santa Cruz Hightower LT and I thought replicating the feel and tires would be the way to go for me. The 29er is rated to run the fork at 160mm if you want more front travel. I am definitely wanting to go this direction.

The 27.5 can me moved around (tailwhips and bunny hops) a bit easier but I liked that stable 29er feel that compensates for my inaccuracies when I pop over things. I’m 50 and confidence makes me ride younger. I am running 2.5” Assegai MaxxGrip DH Maxxis tires front and rear and love the grip.

I do think the 27.5 will give you more tire choices though, especially if you want to try running 2.8” tires or maybe even 3.0” tires. You could theoretically boost the fork to 180mm travel. Also the 150mm rear travel may be an advantage over the 29ers 140mm rear travel.

If I was to do it over, I might have gone with 27.5 now my friends are just catching on. One of them has purchased a giant etrance 2019. Also a sweet machine. It sports 27.5 wheels. 160/140mm travel. Our bikes seemed well matched together when we ride.

For reference, I live Near Vancouver Canada.

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Thanks for all your replies.

My current thinking is the 27.5 Meta Power Ride Build for agility and will most likely swap the stock 160mm Yari fork out fork out for a 170 mm MRP Ribbon Coil fork I have new sitting in the box. I'm also thinking of changing the air shock out down the track for a coil shock. I've had a couple of Cane Creek IL coil shocks on other bikes over the last couple of years and love the planted feel the coil provides.

Does anyone know the shock hardware sizing for the Meta Power?

I'll let you all know when I pull the trigger on a purchase and post some pics.

Chris

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

My current thinking is the 27.5 Meta Power Ride Build for agility and will most likely swap the stock 160mm Yari fork out fork out for a 170 mm MRP Ribbon Coil fork I have new sitting in the box. I'm also thinking of changing the air shock out down the track for a coil shock. I've had a couple of Cane Creek IL coil shocks on other bikes over the last couple of years and love the planted feel the coil provides.

Chris
They sell the shock separately on the website , all the details and different springs etc are there I think .
Not looked at the cost differences but would it be cheaper to buy the model with the coil shock ?
Agree with what you say about the coil , I wouldn’t go back to air if it was a gift now

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Depending on your height - if you are at least 5'11 - based on the riding you described I would go with the Meta 29 but honestly, the 27,5 is pretty much just as good.
I have bikes in all wheel sizes and while I like my 29" trail bike for long rides I like my 27,5 Meta Power as it's more agile than the 29". I'm 5'11" and I'd like to try the 29" Meta but I'm 99% sure I wouldn't swap my 27,5 for it, only if I was taller.

The shock size in both 27,5 and 29" Meta Power is 210 x 55 mm. Oh, and I love the coil shock in my Meta.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I've gone to 170 up front, it works. I'd also have to pair a hazzard if there was a ribbon up front.

Hazzard

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA

Chris

Sounds pretty similar to my current plan. I'm eyeing a 2018 Meta Power Essential simply because the price is so good compared to everything else. I might consider one of the other specbikes if I had a Ribbon Coil sitting around. The combo of a coil shock and the Lyrik that I can simply drop in an ACS3 for half the cost of a new fork seals the deal for me. I've run the number several different ways and it just doesn't add up to by a lower spec bike and swap out parts comes to the same price or more as buying a 2018 Essential as long as you like mango.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Sounds pretty similar to my current plan. I'm eyeing a 2018 Meta Power Essential simply because the price is so good compared to everything else. I might consider one of the other specbikes if I had a Ribbon Coil sitting around. The combo of a coil shock and the Lyrik that I can simply drop in an ACS3 for half the cost of a new fork seals the deal for me. I've run the number several different ways and it just doesn't add up to by a lower spec bike and swap out parts comes to the same price or more as buying a 2018 Essential as long as you like mango.
There is a slight problem, no more 2018 Essential...

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Unfortunately there isn't a model on offer in my region with coil rear shock option. The Essential Build is AUD1,000 more with a Lyrik Air fork and Super Deluxe RCT Air rear shock.

I can get a Cane Creek Coil IL rear shock for AUD450 and have the MRP Ribbon coil fork already, so makes more sense to go for that combo.

The MRP Hazzard rear shock would be nice but I'd be looking >AUD1,200 for it including shock mount hardware.

They sell the shock separately on the website , all the details and different springs etc are there I think .
Not looked at the cost differences but would it be cheaper to buy the model with the coil shock ?
Agree with what you say about the coil , I wouldn’t go back to air if it was a gift now

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I recently emailed Commencal to check the suitability of the Cane Creek IL Coil shock for use on the Meta Power. I got a vague response recommending that the shock be sent to an aftermarket shock servicing center as.... "...they build them with the right size parts to handle the load for the bikes".

Anyone know what this might mean apart from maybe a stiffer spring to handle the increased weight?

Thanks
DrChris

Unfortunately there isn't a model on offer in my region with coil rear shock option. The Essential Build is AUD1,000 more with a Lyrik Air fork and Super Deluxe RCT Air rear shock.

I can get a Cane Creek Coil IL rear shock for AUD450 and have the MRP Ribbon coil fork already, so makes more sense to go for that combo.

The MRP Hazzard rear shock would be nice but I'd be looking >AUD1,200 for it including shock mount hardware.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
I recently emailed Commencal to check the suitability of the Cane Creek IL Coil shock for use on the Meta Power. I got a vague response recommending that the shock be sent to an aftermarket shock servicing center as.... "...they build them with the right size parts to handle the load for the bikes".

Anyone know what this might mean apart from maybe a stiffer spring to handle the increased weight?

Thanks
DrChris
Basically, 'if you change it please leave us alone if you have problems setting it up properly...' :)

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

Thanks
DrChris
You occasionally get poor English from them , I would presume they mean you have to find the recommended spring to suit your wieght .
The meta power us the rock shock coil shock , it’s cheaper than the cane creek And may be easier to get set up as it’s already in use on the meta . Although I have never had a which so easy to set up . Bought the right spring from the wieght chart ,sag was perfect on zero pre load which can’t get better on a spring , compression and rebound is so easy to feel I had it right on day one and hardly ever touch it maybe a click iether way depending on the type of riding

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I was able to get clarification on this - any bike with a yoke style shock mounting requires a thicker shaft in the Cane Creek shock. So this would apply to the Specialized Levo and the Commencal Meta Power.

Thanks
DrChris

mxkauai

Jan 12, 2019
Hawaii
Hey everyone. I am planning on getting an EMTB and these Commencals are at the top of my list. Right now I am leaning towards the 29, but the one geometry measurement that concerns me is the BB drop at -17. This is higher than I would prefer for 29 inch wheels. Anyone with this bike can you let me know if it feels like a high bike? or measure the BB height, maybe its just an error.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
one geometry measurement that concerns me is the BB drop at -17. This is higher than I would prefer for 29 inch wheels.
Most Emtbs do er on the side of caution concerning BB height.
If a properly low BB is essential to you there's only really one choice I'm aware of out there just now, and it's not a 29er. Check out the Vitus E-Sommet. Slightly better overall geometry to the Meta if descending is your preference too. BB height on mine measures 328mm IIRC with 2.3/2.5 tyres which for a 160/170mm travel bike is lower than most regular Enduro bikes.

mxkauai

Jan 12, 2019
Hawaii
Most Emtbs do er on the side of caution concerning BB height.
If a properly low BB is essential to you there's only really one choice I'm aware of out there just now, and it's not a 29er. Check out the Vitus E-Sommet. Slightly better overall geometry to the Meta if descending is your preference too. BB height on mine measures 328mm IIRC with 2.3/2.5 tyres which for a 160/170mm travel bike is lower than most regular Enduro bikes.

The vitus was the first ebike I wanted but no way to get it to Hawaii.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I think the spec sheet is correct. I lowered my front end with a 20mm rise bar (stock is 30mm) and took out the stem spacers and it feels good. Commencal seemed to make the battery as low as possible so the weight of the bike sits very low and I think compensates a lot for a higher BB. On the other hand, the shimano motor is not rotated up and away and I would prefer to have more bash clearance for logs and rocks etc.

I put on some Maxxis downhill Assegai MaxxGrip tires and the extra grip you get over single ply tires is considerable negates a lot of that sit in the bike feel advantage.

Moving to an eMTB is a big change. You will be loving it too much to worry about a bb that is 15mm higher than you are used to on a pedal bike I suspect. No one that has used my meta power 29er ever complains of high BB nor bar height: just big smiles and say where do I get one!

Hey everyone. I am planning on getting an EMTB and these Commencals are at the top of my list. Right now I am leaning towards the 29, but the one geometry measurement that concerns me is the BB drop at -17. This is higher than I would prefer for 29 inch wheels. Anyone with this bike can you let me know if it feels like a high bike? or measure the BB height, maybe its just an error.

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
The vitus was the first ebike I wanted but no way to get it to Hawaii.
Did you check out Fezzari Wire Peak? It has BB drop of 30mm with 29" wheels and should be available for shipment to Hawaii. They seem to be willing to customize the specs.
Avyoung is probably correct that BB drop is related to the motor orientation/rotation in the frame. If you want lower BB and enough clearance, motor needs to be rotated a little, which may move CG up a little an negate some of the benefits of extra drop.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It gives the same figure for 27.5 as 29 , I certainly wouldn’t want mine any lower ,it’s already too easy to strike pedals , I noticed i had to revise my pedaling to avoid pedal strikes when I fitted a smaller rear tyre .
I never feel too high on the bike , and it feels more confident on drop offs than lots of other bikes ive ridden with similar goemetry

mxkauai

Jan 12, 2019
Hawaii
Thanks everyone for the input.

Kernow: are you referring to the 27.5 or 29? they both have the same measurement, this would be fine for me on the 27.5 but seems high for the 29.

Avyoung: I am probably just worrying to much, these guys know how to make a mtb.

Borist: thanks for the thought on Fezzari, I like the look of that bike and they do ship to Hawaii. so that would actually be easier for me to get than the commencal.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks everyone for the input.

Kernow: are you referring to the 27.5 or 29? they both have the same measurement, this would be fine for me on the 27.5 but seems high for the 29.

Avyoung: I am probably just worrying to much, these guys know how to make a mtb.

Borist: thanks for the thought on Fezzari, I like the look of that bike and they do ship to Hawaii. so that would actually be easier for me to get than the commencal.

I just compared the 27.5 to the 29 , they have the same figure , which I expected if they have made a dedicated 29er , with slightly less travel on the 29er it’s not going be a problem .
As you say these guys know how to make an mtb , lots of experience and Iam sure you’ll find the 29er e bike compares very similar to the winning 29er . I’ve never heard any disappointment in how they ride

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Hi Everyone

Finally I've got my MetaPower 27 set up and have had a couple of rides. Unfortunately the bike arrived without any motor bash guard, downtube protector and chainstay protector (or any of the bolts to attach them). Had to wait a week or so for the motor bash guard and downtube protector. Still waiting for a chainstay protector, but I'm not holding much hope of ever getting one. Had to find some bolts in my workshop to attach everything. I'm using Frameskin chainstay wrap to hold the shift housing to the chainstay and had to use an old neoprene chainstay protector (branded Santa Cruz!) I had lying around.

Anyway, a few bad pics attached. Swapped out the Commencal grips, saddle, bars and stem for Chromag ones (I'm a Chromag dealer). I'm planning on installing a 170mm MRP Ribbon fork next.

Absolutely loving it!! Everyone I meet on the trail wants to have a try, and they immediately get a huge grin on their faces!! Converting everyone one by one!!

DrChris

IMG_4185.JPG
IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Nice ride isn’t it , Iam sure commencal will get the missing bits to you , the chainstay protector is available to order as a spare I see so it must be a stock problem maybe ? Have to say I like the original grips but I guess there’s always better out there .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles