Meta Power 29er vs 27 - Opinions Please!

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
I have just ordered a 2019 Meta Power 29 Race, does anyone know what the timescale is for UK delivery? I had a nightmare with Canyon and have just returned my Spectral:ON, shame as it was a fantastic bike and had everything I wanted including Shimano drivetrain and brakes. Also, again a UK question but does the charger come with a suitable adapter or will I have to purchase one?
Cheers in advance!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
You will need an adapter for the charger it comes with a 2 pin plug ,
commencal are quite good at shipping info then there is usually a slight lack of info from French shipping then suddenly it’s in British hands and arrives pretty quick . I would expect 2 weeks max if the bikes in stock
Why did you return the canyon ?

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
The usual joys of Canyon customer service, 5 weeks delay on the bike where it didn't move from the DHL depot and no-one knew why plus poor communication, then it arrived with a slight bit of paint damage, no big deal as it was a mtb, rode really well, however during the delay my payment through PayPal got messed up, long story short but all of a sudden Canyon were bombarding me with emails and phone calls threatining debt recovery agencies etc and it all went a bit sour, every issue lay at Canyon but they were really dreadful so I arranged to return the bike as I couldn't imagine dealing with them with a warranty issue. The bike had done 160 miles and had developed a few motor faults too. I have bought direct many times from YT and only had positive experiences tbh. So as Commencal Meta Powers use the same battery and motor and I had an extra battery for the Canyon I thought I would go for the Commie.

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
Can't speak for 29er, but my 27.5 is bombproof and 100% reliable, and handles like a dream. I damaged the rear wheel hub (l/h thread) when I stripped it down for a re-grease (1,500km). Got in touch with Commencal, they had a new part sent to me free. Also, I have seriously abused this bike for 16 months with deep mud, downhilling at Danny Hart's place (13 runs in 4 hours), almost daily hammering always on full boost, and apart from 3 cassets and 3 chains, plus a few tyres, it has been awesomely resilient, to the extent that I would not consider a different motor. There is no point. This one just runs and runs. I barely clean it, it's only going to get dirty again. Love it!

DSCF3018 2.jpg

LUCKYMULLEN

Dec 5, 2018
Falkirk
Can't speak for 29er, but my 27.5 is bombproof and 100% reliable, and handles like a dream. I damaged the rear wheel hub (l/h thread) when I stripped it down for a re-grease (1,500km). Got in touch with Commencal, they had a new part sent to me free. Also, I have seriously abused this bike for 16 months with deep mud, downhilling at Danny Hart's place (13 runs in 4 hours), almost daily hammering always on full boost, and apart from 3 cassets and 3 chains, plus a few tyres, it has been awesomely resilient, to the extent that I would not consider a different motor. There is no point. This one just runs and runs. I barely clean it, it's only going to get dirty again. Love it!

View attachment 10218

Good to hear, I am looking forward to getting mine.

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Hey everyone. I am planning on getting an EMTB and these Commencals are at the top of my list. Right now I am leaning towards the 29, but the one geometry measurement that concerns me is the BB drop at -17. This is higher than I would prefer for 29 inch wheels. Anyone with this bike can you let me know if it feels like a high bike? or measure the BB height, maybe its just an error.
I should be getting my 9er with the new rocker pretty soon and suspect the BB is a little lower than last year. As soon as it arrives I'll get the actual measurement posted. Even if it's too late for you it might help others in future.

mxkauai

Jan 12, 2019
Hawaii
I should be getting my 9er with the new rocker pretty soon and suspect the BB is a little lower than last year. As soon as it arrives I'll get the actual measurement posted. Even if it's too late for you it might help others in future.
I have a feeling it has changed for 2019, so looking forward to your measurement. I am still interested in this bike. If possible could you also post a picture of the rear tire clearance around the motor. Looks tight from the pictures available online

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
I have a feeling it has changed for 2019, so looking forward to your measurement. I am still interested in this bike. If possible could you also post a picture of the rear tire clearance around the motor. Looks tight from the pictures available online
Will do. Just had the notification from Commencal that it's been dispatched today.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I’m looking forward to your report!

What tire clearance are you concerned about? I run a 2.5” HR DD in the rear with lots of clearance. Commencal says there is enough room for a 2.8” 29er tire if they ever make one!

mxkauai

Jan 12, 2019
Hawaii

What tire clearance are you concerned about? I run a 2.5” HR DD in the rear with lots of clearance. Commencal says there is enough room for a 2.8” 29er tire if they ever make one!
Looking at the clearance in pictures from the side, the front of the rear tire looks close to the back of the motor. I worry about clearance because the dirt where I ride packs onto the tires when wet and builds until it rubs and stops spinning.

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
I ride 29 on a non e Stumpjumper and i like the wheel size here for the roll-over capability. However....

I ride a Meta Power 27.5 Race and it rocks. The only thing I have changed is the rear spring and a tubeless set up. I contemplated changing the brakes to a set of Saints that i have lying around and in hy head thought i would do so as soon as the Sram Codes mis-behaved but they have been rock solid. I am on my second chain, changed at 650km only because I bought a park tool and it was at the limit of its wear (I am careful to clean and lube). This bike is so much fun, twisty single track is a new adventure because you can slide the back out at every opportunity, accelerate and do it again next corner, even when slightly uphill. Jumps are super stable, grip is awesome, smile is massive every time I ride it. Not had any issues with mud clearance apart from in my head hating the mud getting on my lovely bike...

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham

Measured it as 18mm so they havnt changed, There's about 10mm clearance to the motor housing with a 2.5" Agressor which is going to be the thing that limits tyre size on the 29" bike. You could easily fit a larger tyre width wise but you'll run out of mud clearance to the motor pretty quickly.

Commencal Rear Tyre Clearance.jpg

Last edited:

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Hi Everyone

Just an update on my build - I've switched out the Yari fork and Deluxe RT rear shock for an MRP Ribbon Coil fork (170mm) and an MRP Hazzard Coil Shock with MRP superlight progressive spring. Definitely loving the planted feel of the coil rear shock! A couple of pics attached.

Dr Chris

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_9131.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
I’m on the meta race 27,5 and I love it. Still...i would like to give a 29 fork upfront a try. Does anyone know which one would fit and not mess up the geo to much.
Ideally something with 160mm travel and head angle around 65,5
All tips are welcome or how to measure it myself...

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Swapped out my 29er fork of my normal enduro bike. Could anyone say how I could measure HA and reach. What would I feel if it’s totally wrong (geo)

It looks okay, I think

For HA, look up the A-C (axle to crown) height and compare it with what was originally spec'd. Typically a 0.5 degree change for every 10mm in A/C added or taken away.

If it feels good, roll with it! (y)

Last edited:

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Stems have nothing to do with reach. It's measured to the center top of the headtube. If you fit a longer fork stack increases about 60% of the extra length and reach shortens by about 45% of extra axle to crown length at the ~65deg angles found on todays 6" bikes.

The actual measurements are 90% vertical height increase for the head tube but the BB also comes up by about 30% depending on where it sits between the axles. With the negative drop found on most bikes these days it also move forward ever so slightly whilst the top of the head tube moves back horizontally just over 40%

Last edited:

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Simple version is the bars will come up and back a bit. It will only feel higher but I was trying to clarify what the Reach measurement for @dirt huffer and how it will change.

Last edited:

ebike_junkie

Mar 30, 2019
San Clemente, California
Hi Everyone

Just an update on my build - I've switched out the Yari fork and Deluxe RT rear shock for an MRP Ribbon Coil fork (170mm) and an MRP Hazzard Coil Shock with MRP superlight progressive spring. Definitely loving the planted feel of the coil rear shock! A couple of pics attached.

Dr Chris

View attachment 12231

View attachment 12232

View attachment 12233

That looks awesome! Glad you went with the 27.5, I did the same and absolutely love it. How much riding did you do with the rear air shock before converting it to coil? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the coil as this is something I'd like to do to mine.

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
@spacemonkey Most modern phones come with an angle measuring app. Put the bike on a plank or something smooth and straight and measure the difference between the plank/straight thing and the headtube.

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
29/27,5 mix , well it certainly works. Headangle is about 65°.
It makes the bike more stable , still it doesn't lose its handling in the tight stuff.
Climbing was also good, maybe on the steeper parts I needed to move forward on the saddle, but not much.
Next I'm going to try narrower tyres in the original setup and move up to 170mm upfront. The sidewalls on that 2.6 Hans dampf are way to soft, gonna go to 2.5WT minion

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
It is awesome.

The MRP coil fork and MRP coil shock really brings out the best in this bike. I've also switched out the rear wheel and built up a 30mm rim with a 2.6" Maxxis DHF tire with Cushcore foam insert. The wheel provides much better direct feedback/grip and less squirm than the previous flimsy 2.6" Hans Dampf on the Spank 35mm rim.

Hi @DrChris

how do the 170mm travel feel? i'm thinking about upgrading too, but don't know wheather to go to 160mm or directly to 170mm. some lower head angle would be appreciated

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles