Meta power 29... Tyres and inserts

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
Hi all.

Did my first few days of 'real' riding in the forest of dean and then a day at rogate downhill. Bike was great (jumped nicely, largely planted, responsive) but I didn't feel like I could fully trust the front tyre (stock schwalbe magic mary 2.35) when I really pushed it through rock gardens, up berms etc... I used to really trust my old minions. Any one finding the same?

I'm considering going to a minion front and back, maybe a 2.6. Might even get cushcores front and back. Any experiences or thoughts much appreciated, before I fork out!

Jtb

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
2.6 size should be fine, but dont go any bigger. I know of a couple of people who have still destroyed wheels with cushcores, but maybe they ride differently to you.
In my experience of trying a few options, for inserts, the Vittoria air liners are the only ones strong enough for an e bike.

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
2.6 size should be fine, but dont go any bigger. I know of a couple of people who have still destroyed wheels with cushcores, but maybe they ride differently to you.
In my experience of trying a few options, for inserts, the Vittoria air liners are the only ones strong enough for an e bike.

Thanks for this. Will look into those inserts.
What makes you say no bigger than 2.6... Frame clearance or handling?

Jtb

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
I put cushcore in my rear wheel when I replaced the tyre for a Maxxis DHF 2.6 - it seems much more stable on cornering than the stock Hans Dampf 2.6 on it previously. I've got a 27.5 Metapower.

Thanks for this. Will look into those inserts.
What makes you say no bigger than 2.6... Frame clearance or handling?

Jtb

Andrés Grau

Apr 12, 2019
Chile
A combination more than reliable is Magic Mary 2.6 in front and Eddy Current 2.6 + Cush Core on the backward ....... safe from any harm

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Try to get DD casing, I got a flat on the first ride on a DRH2 2.6 EXO+. DD on the stock HR2 2.6 was great, can't buy anywhere. DD on DHR2 2.5 also fine, but I would like a 2.6. I'm on 27.5, but it should be the same for a 29er.

Last edited:

Gee

Jun 20, 2019
South Wales
Swapped the stock 2.5 HR2 DD that came on the front of my Meta 29 as it scared the shit out of me. Swapped it for a DHF 2.5 DD and confidence restored.

Will use the HR2 on the rear in the winter instead of the Aggressor but will eventually run DHF's or DHR's front and rear.

Don't feel the need to run inserts and width seems ok at 2.5.....maybe I ride like a Jessie tho lol

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
Try to get DD casing, I got a flat on the first ride on a DRH2 2.6 EXO+. DD on the stock HR2 2.6 was great, can't buy anywhere. DD on DHR2 2.5 also fine, but I would like a 2.6. I'm on 27.5, but it should be the same for a 29er.

Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles