Meta Power 29 kit level?

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Looks like I'll be going with the meta power 29. Now the question is Race vs Signature. Price not a deciding factor (Signature +$700)

Race: lyrik RC2, RockShox super deluxe RCT coil, Code R brakes, wheelset DT swiss

Signature: Fox 36 Factory fit 4, fox float X2 factory, shimano XT brakes, wheelset Spank Spike Vibrocore

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Had to make similar choice when I bought my race last year , and it’s still similar really in spec . Due to short supply we were offered the more expensive model at little extra cost ,

personally I would prefer the rock shock forks , I find them easier to set up and less fussy to service than fox , the latest lyric is said to be equally as plush as a fox , and I believe it is as we have both in the shed , and I’ve spent a good year maintaining both . The fox I think is more sensitive for a lighter rider with more fine adjustment available , it goes off quicker needing more servicing .
Code r brakes i really like for many reasons , best brake ive ever used and lived with , not most power but best feel . Probably currently easier to find a choice of brake pads too Also because they are the same right or left so when the bike arrives you can just swap sides to make them proper and safe as commencal come back to front
however I haven’t tried the new 4 pot Xt so they could be even better , but they are new and unproven
Coil shock is my favourite part of the bike , I would never go back to air not even a high end air shock , but Iam a fat bastard , everyone I know loves that coil shock when they ride it .

Wheels , Iam very impressed with my spanks they are easy to service the hubs and freewheel , the freewheel is also very strong with nice chunky pawls , good strong rims and j pull spokes make for a very solid wheel , asking spank themselthes are very helpful if you want spares
I also realky like dt Swiss wheels , and I presume they are specced just as well for an ebike knowing commencal , they should be a higher quality wheel again really .
Colour I preferred on my model , but on the new one I prefer the colour of the signature , but that’s just personal as both look fantastic .
So for me it would be race model again , and spend the saving on a second battery so you can ride the wheels of it all day ?

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Don't forget you can convert the Lyrik to a super plush coil but the 36-ebike cannot be converted via an acs3 kit. This was the biggest deciding factor for me between the Meta and the Trance. Air shocks and the maintence that comes with them blow (pun intended).

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Don't forget you can convert the Lyrik to a super plush coil but the 36-ebike cannot be converted via an acs3 kit. This was the biggest deciding factor for me between the Meta and the Trance. Air shocks and the maintence that comes with them blow (pun intended).
Guess I've been out of the loop too long, have never heard of converting fork to coil. Maybe this is big for downhillers and not all mountain?

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Guess I've been out of the loop too long, have never heard of converting fork to coil. Maybe this is big for downhillers and not all mountain?

Could be. For me it's because I am a true clydesdale rider at 116kg. When you get an air spring pumped up enough to support that weight there are massive amounts of stiction which result in a loss of suspension over small bumps. I'm going to give the lyrik a try for a couple months but then plan on dropping in a Push Industries ACS-3 kit to convert it to a coil fork. Much cheaper than a new fork.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles