Merida Espresso City 800EQ

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its a good bit of kit, essentially fit and forget with almost no maintenance. My father in law has the di2 variant on his EBIKE, 2 years and nor problems, he has probably put 1000 miles on it, and I can't see him having maintained it in any way.

Only thing I would say is that if you are in a hilly area you may want to look at something with a bigger range of gears.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
I have an Alfine 8 speed hub on a Cannondale Bad Boy .... very easy to use and reliable, gear range could be an issue but with e-assist shouldn’t be any problem.
Only down side a bit of a faf getting the wheel in and out.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
They are great for urban bike, even better if paired with a gates carbon drive, then you rally are looking at almost no regular maintenance.

I was looking at one of these for my wife, but no idea on price, suspect expensive!

Sven Cycles | Latest News | Sven Cycles Launches First Electric Bike

800.jpg

rocky.28965

Sep 29, 2018
Central Otago, NZ

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
Also have an Alfine hub on a Cannondale Bad Boy and have found it to be very reliable so far (untouched in nearly two years 4x / week use). That said, I treat it a little more gently that I might treat a normal setup, mostly due to mechanical sympathy but also because there are occasional graunching noises when it doesn't quite mesh perfectly (sloppy shifting on my part). I would be really interested to know how it deals with the added loads from an ebike system.

As has already been noted, the wheel is also a pain the backside to get out, so avoid punctures.

Final point, mine uses a gates belt drive, which seems virtually unstretchable, but I get the impression that the gearing would require adjustment more frequently if using a chain, doubly so on an ebike where the chain stretches that much more quickly. May be a point worth considering.

Overall, I would probably consider one on an ebike in relatively flat territory, but not where loads would be consistently high.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles