Merida eone sixty 900 rims - tubeless ready?

Pedro78

Nov 27, 2018
Ile de la réunion
Hiya everyone!

Maybe a stupid question but are the Merida Expert TP rims on the eone sixty 900 tubeless ready, I remember reading somewhere that they were but it doesn't mention it on the rim.

I have been setting my tyres up tubeless and in the rear I didn't put any tape in , thinking they were tubeless ready, but it seems to be holding fine. In the front air is leaking by the valve and valve hole so at the moment I am running a tube. I will need to tape it so which tape do I use for a 38mm rim, also if they aren't tubeless ready should I redo the rear with tape?

Cheers :)

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Hiya everyone!

Maybe a stupid question but are the Merida Expert TP rims on the eone sixty 900 tubeless ready, I remember reading somewhere that they were but it doesn't mention it on the rim.

I have been setting my tyres up tubeless and in the rear I didn't put any tape in , thinking they were tubeless ready, but it seems to be holding fine. In the front air is leaking by the valve and valve hole so at the moment I am running a tube. I will need to tape it so which tape do I use for a 38mm rim, also if they aren't tubeless ready should I redo the rear with tape?

Cheers :)
Hi Pedro,
Both my wife’s 800 and my 900e came tubeless ready including tape, so a very easy conversion. No problems.

Last edited:

Pedro78

Nov 27, 2018
Ile de la réunion
Hi Pedro,
Both my wife’s 800 and my 900e came tubeless ready including tape, so a very easy conversation. No problems.

Cheers for that!

Yeah there is tape, green, in both wheels but for the front one there is a small gap between where the tape ends and the valve hole hence the air leak. No matter how hard I try to set the valve down it still leaks air. I can bead the tyre but don't want to put sealant in until the gap is sorted.

There were no probs with the rear tyre ☺

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I always think worth re taping the rims anyway even if a bike comes with tubeless prepped wheels, as its likely the tape has been applied fairly quickly during mass production.

Pedro78

Nov 27, 2018
Ile de la réunion
I always think worth re taping the rims anyway even if a bike comes with tubeless prepped wheels, as its likely the tape has been applied fairly quickly during mass production.

Cheers!

Do you think I should redo the rear or just leave it because it seems fine and holding air? Went for a massive ride yesterday on it and no problems.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Cheers for that!

Yeah there is tape, green, in both wheels but for the front one there is a small gap between where the tape ends and the valve hole hence the air leak. No matter how hard I try to set the valve down it still leaks air. I can bead the tyre but don't want to put sealant in until the gap is sorted.

There were no probs with the rear tyre ☺

Slightly unusual approach but I had a similar issue, so I just siliconed around the problem area and that solved the issue! You could try this around the valve - clearly just need to be careful not to silicone over the air hole.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Cheers!

Do you think I should redo the rear or just leave it because it seems fine and holding air? Went for a massive ride yesterday on it and no problems.

If its working then I wouldn't bother, but would do it when next replacing the sealant

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
I have an e160 900 and it definitely wasn't set up for tubeless. You may have gotten lucky with the standard tape in there, but if you have the same setup as mine, you will have to tape them properly. Some people say you only need a thinner strip that covers the rim channel, others that you have to use 2 layers (or a 40m single layer) going all the way to the sides (and even overlapping the edges). I just put some 30mm Stans tape that I had on them and it worked fine even with the gaps at the edges.

Pedro78

Nov 27, 2018
Ile de la réunion
I have an e160 900 and it definitely wasn't set up for tubeless. You may have gotten lucky with the standard tape in there, but if you have the same setup as mine, you will have to tape them properly. Some people say you only need a thinner strip that covers the rim channel, others that you have to use 2 layers (or a 40m single layer) going all the way to the sides (and even overlapping the edges). I just put some 30mm Stans tape that I had on them and it worked fine even with the gaps at the edges.

Cheers for that. Yep definitely got luck with the rear tyre ? Cheers for advice on tape width, I will try to find some wide tape in the bike shops here where I live, if not order online!

Have a good day ?

Pedro78

Nov 27, 2018
Ile de la réunion

Cheers for that. I will tape the front up and redo the rear with tape when needed!

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
The green tape is not meant to be used in a tubeless setup, you were lucky with one wheel ;)

I used 40mm yellowtape, that fits perfect and I had no problems with setting up tubeless. First I tried it with narrower tape overlapping, but that didn't work on one wheel so after that I decided to buy the 40mm tape and do it properly.

Laker123

Nov 15, 2018
New Zealand
The green tape is not meant to be used in a tubeless setup, you were lucky with one wheel ;)

I used 40mm yellowtape, that fits perfect and I had no problems with setting up tubeless. First I tried it with narrower tape overlapping, but that didn't work on one wheel so after that I decided to buy the 40mm tape and do it properly.

This! The green tape is just a rim band, not a tubeless tape. I had it in a Big trail and managed to make it tubeless but on my Eone Twenty 800 I had to retape with a proper tubeless tape.

The 900e is tubless ready out the box but sounds like the 900 isn't.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles