Merida E160-E900 Rohloff Conversion

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Gold Coast, Qld Australia
Thought this may be of interest (see Facebook post link below). I have a 2019 Specialized Turbo Levo myself (also with a Rohloff fitted), but I must say I really enjoyed the "test ride" on the Merida E160 900 this afternoon on my local trails. The Merida feels well balanced, very planted and the 27.5 x 2.8 tyres are like glue around the corners. Impressed with the handling and bike feel!

Interesting riding some familiar local track segments recorded with Strava... on the rougher downhill tracks the Merida was quicker and on the flatter more flowy single tracks the Levo was a little quicker. Enjoyed the Merida, nice bike!

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I really like the idea of the Rohloff hub :)

Do you have to back off pedalling effort to shift gears? Just wondering what would happen if you're hammering up a climb and want to drop a gear or two quickly.

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Gold Coast, Qld Australia
I really like the idea of the Rohloff hub :)

Do you have to back off pedalling effort to shift gears? Just wondering what would happen if you're hammering up a climb and want to drop a gear or two quickly.

Yes... you do have to back off pedalling, you cannot change under load/whilst pedalling (light pedalling possible). But you can do that in a fraction of a second and change 1 or 10 gears all at once... so it doesn't slow you down. It takes a little getting used to, but it soon becomes second nature and something you don't think about. Have you seen the video I posted... plenty of footage of actual gear changes as a I'm riding (YouTube or Vimeo... Rohloff Levo Conversion). Best way, give me a call or sms and have a test ride on some local trails (0452-339289). Cheers Paul.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles