Merida E160 9000 mods

High-voltage

Mar 26, 2020
Scotland
Hi all, noob here from Scotland.
I have just purchased a merida e160 9000 as my first e-bike, had it a couple of weeks now and loving it. Been mtbing for years though.
I'm after advice on tuning the Shimano steps e8000 motor to raise the speed limit, it doesnt have to be limitless power, if I could raise the assist to perhaps 22mph that would be fine. I find myself "cruising" at the 15mph limit so the motor constantly cuts in and out.
I've had a Google on options and found everything from plug in boxes to a planetary gear disc thing that fits behind the brakerotor. Can anyone point me in the direction of a device that's safe for the electrics and possibly a link to a retailer ?
I've seen a hack that moves the magnet and pick up to read the crank arm revolutions instead of the wheel, but would prefer something a bit neater than a hack. The speed reading on the head unit doesn't need to be accurate as I use a wahoo elemnt bolt.
My bike uses a magnet in the rear disc (centrelock) with the pick up on the inside of the chainstay.
Thanks in advance for your advice, Col.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles