Merida 160

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Hi,

I’m new EMTB and looking for some advice. The bike I’m looking at is the 2019 Merida 160, not the latest 2020. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Jimb

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Shopped around a bit and visited my local bike shop, I know them in there and have brought bikes form them before, thought it would be worth a visit just to see what they had in. Not much it seems, 1 high end eMTB £6500, and a Cube, £4500. Bit out of my price range for a first eMTB, but on the same display stood a Diamond Back Ranger 3.0, nice looking bike with no price tag, bet thats expensive I thought. As it turns out it was a trade in, the guy had brought it the previous month from the same shop but decided to trade in for an upgraded full carbon cube. So how much I ask? From the back of the shop the, owner shouts, "you can have it for the price I gave for the trade in £2000". How many miles on the motor I replied, and after checking the control unit, not many as it turns out, 68. So after checking the spec and asking around turns out the be a pretty good bike but let down by the poor performing Shimano M315 brakes. So I said "Can you upgrade the brakes for me" and the replay came back "yes you buy 1 SLX adjustable lever and calliper set and I'll give you 1 for free". As it happens the previous owner had already upgraded the discs form 180's to 204's so with the upgraded leavers an all round brake upgrade. So a deal was done, a practically new Diamond back Ranger 3.0 with full Shimano running gear including Di2 electric assisted dear changes and upgraded brakes and 2 year motor and battery warranty included. for less than half the retail RRP £4495.

That will do me for a first eMTN, looking forward to getting out on the trails.

Its always worth shopping around.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi,

I’m new EMTB and looking for some advice. The bike I’m looking at is the 2019 Merida 160, not the latest 2020. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Jimb
I tested merida one ok was but not sure about the igears , went for expert Levo in the end immpresed so far only had 8 rides . You'll enjoy what ever you get but want reliable bike don't we all. You can sort most things but batteries water and electric motors could be night mare on elm street

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles