MBR - Trek Rail is the Bike of the Year from Bike Shops

joao083

Nov 24, 2020
Portugal
I'm waiting for my new Rail 9.8 as well. Mine was due to be delivered in November, then was delayed to December, then January, February and this week I was informed that the new expected date is March ?
So, despite being a bit frustrating and being really mad with Trek production, I can't wait to ride my new bike.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
my 9.9 is being built for delivery in the coming days (so I have been told).... fingers crossed !

Last edited:

John B

Nov 25, 2020
Folkestone
Picked mine up about a month ago and I love it. It’s my first ebike as I have always ridden enduro bikes. It rides so much better than my slash!

C40E6FEE-492C-41A4-8B9F-57083287313B.jpeg

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Nice, very nice. My first ebike too, same colour as yours. ??. You had to tweek/change anything ?. I have ordered some lighter tires (I have been racing XC for years so like faster rolling lighter tires ?). Also have some Slimer bars to go on, not used to bars that wide ! ?. Have you changed those on yours ?. I ordered a side access bottle cage is assume a normal cage won't fit, looks like you are using a normal one ?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Cheaper ?, Was the same price as the other colours when I was buying
On the Trek website it shows that colour at £6700 and other colours at £7150.
So not £600, but £450.
Unless its a misprint?
Where did you get yours by the way?
I've got the 2020 version which I love but will trade next year for the new spec with the Zebs etc ?

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
I have to wait until may to get my hands on the Rail 9 ?

S,M & XL in stock

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire

S,M & XL in stock
Mines a large that i have ordered.

John B

Nov 25, 2020
Folkestone
Nice, very nice. My first ebike too, same colour as yours. ??. You had to tweek/change anything ?. I have ordered some lighter tires (I have been racing XC for years so like faster rolling lighter tires ?). Also have some Slimer bars to go on, not used to bars that wide ! ?. Have you changed those on yours ?. I ordered a side access bottle cage is assume a normal cage won't fit, looks like you are using a normal one ?
I have changed a lot of it. Put bontrager line pro 40 carbon wheels with Michelin enduro tyres on. Best tyres I have used as the harder u ride the gripper they become. Changed the brakes to Magura MT7 pros with 220mm rotors as there epic brakes, nice and grabby, the way I like it. Also put sram XO1 groupset (not the cranks). I kept the carb bars as there the same as my enduro bike.

It is a normal cage in this pic as this was my first ride out. Soon changed it for a side access one ?

John B

Nov 25, 2020
Folkestone
Look on the website, its not.

Can’t find exact prices but it does say £6,600/£7,150 so I’m guessing your corec? How odd. I wonder why if it’s only paint? Still think the red carbon/lithium one is the best looking!

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Can’t find exact prices but it does say £6,600/£7,150 so I’m guessing your corec? How odd. I wonder why if it’s only paint? Still think the red carbon/lithium one is the best looking!
Exactly, I think your colour and the purple are the two best colours they do ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Nah, this is the best colour...

1606338024443.png

The pic just doesn't do it justice.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
The Gen 3 Bosch bikes have longer chain stays .
Gen 4 with smaller motor case is more compact - allows for shorter chain stays.

Longer chain stays make for better climbing . But less tight turning ability . Short chain stays mean you have to weight the front tyre more as the bike isn`t doing it for you .

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Forever Wild, I disagree I am afraid. Saying the powerfly and rail are similar is not correct.

Size Large Low

Chainstay
Powerfly - 47.5cm
Rail - 44.8cm
Rail is 2.7cm less

Reach
Powerfly - 44.8cm
Rail - 46.5cm
Rail is 1.7cm more

These 2 measurements make for the rail being a very different bike. Small changes to geomoetry make for a big difference in feel, and these are reasonble size changes. ( If this were not the case all bikes would feel the same, and they do not ) The rail has the weight further back in the bike due to the shorter chainstay and the longer reach. Result is a better feel on turns and descents for the rail as more space to move your body around. The descending is helped further by the head tube angles.

Head Tube Angles
Powerfly - 65.5
Rail - 64.5

The powerfly is a better climber as the weight is further forward keeping the nose down.

If you do not agree with me, try moving your saddle 2 to 3cm forward or backwards from its current position and see if it feels the same when cycling up a hill. I guarantee you notice the difference, and that is what the changes do, they make the bikes feel different. The goemetry changes will make more of a difference that this, but you will get the idea. Along the flat differences to geometry make less difference. This change will make no difference to the descending as you will not be sitting down.

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Longer reach , slacker head tube angle , shorter chain stays .
Need to lean forward a lot more to keep traction on the front tyre . Means a lot more aggressive stance on the bike to make it corner . Without losing traction on the front tyre .

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
just been told me bike will arrive on monday !, happy days, already started to stockpile a few choice parts i want to fit based on my preferences from XC bikes. The priblem with working from home all the time is i keep thinking of items to add ! :), i really didn't need the...., but.... :)

pragrick

Oct 14, 2020
Prague
I'm waiting for my new Rail 9.8 as well. Mine was due to be delivered in November, then was delayed to December, then January, February and this week I was informed that the new expected date is March ?
So, despite being a bit frustrating and being really mad with Trek production, I can't wait to ride my new bike.
I don't know if it helps, my LBS in Prague has a few 2020 in stock and they are discounted! I bought mine 3 weeks ago. Stores are closed for walk ins due to covid-19, but online and appointments are still allowed, maybe they ship outside of Czech?

IMG_0679.jpg

joao083

Nov 24, 2020
Portugal
I don't know if it helps, my LBS in Prague has a few 2020 in stock and they are discounted! I bought mine 3 weeks ago. Stores are closed for walk ins due to covid-19, but online and appointments are still allowed, maybe they ship outside of Czech?

View attachment 45806
Thanks for your reply. I 'm going to my LBS and ask again for the expected delivery date, and if it still that long I'll definitely consider other options, but it's important to know that there are some available. I'll start searching for the models in stock.
Thanks again for your message.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Came back from my first ride, looked very second hand, so much dirt you could hardly see it was orange. After a bit of time, I said..... nah, Im going to clean you and make you look brand new again.
Found I prefer it bling bling instead of rough and ready! lol
Tell us about the bike? did you like it? how does it compare to others that you have ridden? any snags? I am expecting my 9 in early March and I can;t wait!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles