Maxxis tyre casings... Exo+ vs DD

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
Hi all. Riding a commencal meta power 29er with stock tyres (schwalbe magic mary front / hans dampf rear, both 2.35 super gravity). Want to switch to maxxis assegai 2.5 DD casing upfront and maxxis dhr 2 2.6 DD casing on the rear... Problem is I cannot find that rear tyre in stock anywhere!

I'm considering trying the EXO+ casing as the rear is available in that version, but I wondered whether people know whether it'll be a big step down from the existing super gravity / proposed DD casing? My reason for upgrading is that my existing tyres squirm ALOT no matter what I try, and just don't give me the confidence I've grown to expect whilst riding maxxis in the past, especially up front. For this reason I don't want to go to a tyre that is fundamentally incapable of fixing this issue! I'm planning to run Vittoria Air Liners, so perhaps that would make the exo+ run more like a DD?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
There is a big difference in weight and wall thickness. Why not stick Assegai’s on both ends if you can get it in the construction you want?

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
There is a big difference in weight and wall thickness. Why not stick Assegai’s on both ends if you can get it in the construction you want?

Thanks for the reply. That had occurred to me but I'm concious that the assegai is even heavier than dhr and the assegai doesn't break loose as easily if you want to play around with he back end. An anchored front and a bit of play at the back is what I usually try to go for...

Might have to default to f&r assegai... Probably better than a weaker rear tyre...

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
DHR are grippy tyres, lots of folk use them on the front as well as the rear for improved braking and a more progressive transition from centre tread to the cornering blocks. Perhaps not the loose tyre you are expecting.

You could maybe see if you can get the Assegai in a harder compound to go on the rear to achieve the feel you are after.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
29 x 2.5 Assegai front and 27.5 x 2.4 disector in the back.

Cushcore in the rear only.

This is my current setup and I love it. I can get away with just exo casing with cushcore, knock on wood haven’t slashed one in 18 months.

The dissector is really impressive. Very good rolling speed but grips great, but if you want to throw a cutty or shcralp a corner on purpose it will slide good. Worth a try if you are due.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I’ve tried 3 EXO+ casing DHRII 27.5x2.8, for the rear, love this tire. Only one I got to wear out, the other two suffered side wall tears. I’ve had two Assegi 27.5x2.5DD casing for the rear and I got to wear out both. In my opinion, for me the 27.5x2.8 worked better for the rear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles