Matte owners, how durable is your paint?

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Obvious it's a mtb so it's going to get used and shown signs but I do like to maintain a good looking bike. So far the matte paint is giving me slight worries in its longevity. Its been about a week with my 2020 levo comp and I've already added some battle scars to the paint. Few rock chips here and there (to be expected), dropped a screwdriver from 4 inches and it took a chip down to the bare metal next to the power button, but what blew my mind today is my bike lightly fell over in my garage against a cardboard box of baby diapers and this happened. I can actually feel grooves in the paint with my fingernail... From a cardboard box... How's everyone else's matte holding up?

SmartSelect_20191016-002950_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

kungdog

Feb 27, 2019
uk
Mines covered in marks like that, especially on the rear triangle. I've stopped worrying about it, so long as it's mechanically sound, not too bothered.

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
I love Matte finishes when the bikes are new, but unfortunately Matte overcoat always shows wear and tear worse. It's one of the reasons all cars are glossy.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
My 2018 part matte Kenevo has light scratches all over it, a quick polish with some black car polish and buff it up and most have disappeared

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil
I love a matte finish but mine gets scratches just by looking at it. Can’t do nothing, polishing will ruin the matte finish and worsen the situation. Just ride and enjoy.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Got mine fitted with invisiframe matte finish from new. Still looks like new ?

Just looked into this, looks like a decent idea. I had my entire car wrapped in xpel and its flawless after 20k miles.

Dos the invisiframe xpel keep the matte finish appearance and is it holding up well in the edges (not peeling up etc?)

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
Just looked into this, looks like a decent idea. I had my entire car wrapped in xpel and its flawless after 20k miles.

Dos the invisiframe xpel keep the matte finish appearance and is it holding up well in the edges (not peeling up etc?)
Had it on my levo 2 years and on my Santa Cruz nomad 4 years. Still going strong and bikes look brand new still ?not even a sign of peeling up. I got my lbs to do it. So it was done properly

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
Scratches as easy as my matte Trek bike. I guess they are all like that. The more paint issues the lesser risk of it getting stolen.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Scratches will occur over time. If you don't like them you should wrap the bike in invisiframe and handle it with care (no dropping screwdrivers on it, no falling over in the garage ^^).

I don't care about such tiny scratches on my matte black MTBs, the battlescars on my shin look much worse. But if i ever should feel that i need to polish my bikes, i would use the S100 matte black wax i use for my (always matte black) motorcycles for years, which keeps the matte look and is adding a thin layer of wax protecting the finish and makes it very easy to clean. Now that i think about it... i guess i should wax my MTB's, too :)

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Had it on my levo 2 years and on my Santa Cruz nomad 4 years. Still going strong and bikes look brand new still ?not even a sign of peeling up. I got my lbs to do it. So it was done properly

Did your lbs put it over the factory film protection or did they remove all of it before putting on the invisiframe?

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
I decided to go invisiframe, the matte just shows too much for my likinng. My Lbs said it's a major pita to do it and would charge $60/hr (roughly 5 hour job) so I figured I'd do it myself, plus I'm slightly ocd perfectionist so I think I could do a better job. My buddies who own an xpel car wrapping business gave me some great tips and a set of higher quality soft rubber squeegees of different sizes, immensely helpful.

So far it hasn't been too bad. Been taking my time and actually been enjoying it. It's methodical and relaxing, jamming music in my office where it's nice and warm.

Fairly standard procedure:

Remove OEM protection film

Wipe really well with 70% IPA.

Blow off any lint with compressed dust off can

Wet bike part with 5ml to 900ml baby shampoo to
water in spray bottle.

Wet hands, remove film, wet film both sides and slide it into place while working the air and water out from the center to the edges with squeegee but mostly just my fingers.

The most tedious part is getting the very fine edges to stick down fully. I found using a hairdryer while pressing down and holding for about 30 secs works well but that part is very time consuming.

So far only 2 flecks of lint made its way under but the film pulls up well within the first few mins so easy to wash it out with more spray.

Like others have mentioned, it does turn your matte into more of a satin. I don't mind it but the parts that aren't going to be covered (like the welds etc) will stand out a bit. Here's a few shots of the difference in finish from sections ive completed to spots I havent yet. (The difference is more evident in the pics cause I running some high contrast studio photography lighting over my bike for the application process). There are spots the kit isnt going cover like the upper seat and chain stays and a few other very small sections, by friends gave me a few feet of uncut matte xpel from the shop so I think ill custom cut some of these sections to really fill in the gaps

SmartSelect_20191024-234240_Gallery.jpg

20191024_233311.jpg

20191024_233710.jpg

Last edited:

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
I decided to go invisiframe, the matte just shows too much for my likinng. My Lbs said it's a major pita to do it and would charge $60/hr (roughly 5 hour job) so I figured I'd do it myself, plus I'm slightly ocd perfectionist so I think I could do a better job. My buddies who own an xpel car wrapping business gave me some great tips and a set of higher quality soft rubber squeegees of different sizes, immensely helpful.

So far it hasn't been too bad. Been taking my time and actually been enjoying it. It's methodical and relaxing, jamming music in my office where it's nice and warm.

water in spray bottle.

Wet hands, remove film, wet film both sides and slide it into place while working the air and water out from the center to the edges with squeegee but mostly just my fingers.

The most tedious part is getting the very fine edges to stick down fully. I found using a hairdryer while pressing down and holding for about 30 secs works well but that part is very time consuming.

So far only 2 flecks of lint made its way under but the film pulls up well within the first few mins so easy to wash it out with more spray.

Like others have mentioned, it does turn your matte into more of a satin. I don't mind it but the parts that aren't going to be covered (like the welds etc) will stand out a bit. Here's a few shots of the difference in finish from sections ive completed to spots I havent yet. (The difference is more evident in the pics cause I running some high contrast studio photography lighting over my bike for the application process). There are spots the kit isnt going cover like the upper seat and chain stays and a few other very small sections, by friends gave me a few feet of uncut matte xpel from the shop so I think ill custom cut some of these sections to really fill in the gaps

View attachment 20594

View attachment 20595
View attachment 20596
Jeeez that's expensive. I took my levo to mr invisiframe himself and he done it for 90 quid. That was supplied and fitted.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

water in spray bottle.

View attachment 20594

View attachment 20595
View attachment 20596
Well done, looks dope (y)

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Obvious it's a mtb so it's going to get used and shown signs but I do like to maintain a good looking bike. So far the matte paint is giving me slight worries in its longevity. Its been about a week with my 2020 levo comp and I've already added some battle scars to the paint. Few rock chips here and there (to be expected), dropped a screwdriver from 4 inches and it took a chip down to the bare metal next to the power button, but what blew my mind today is my bike lightly fell over in my garage against a cardboard box of baby diapers and this happened. I can actually feel grooves in the paint with my fingernail... From a cardboard box... How's everyone else's matte holding up?

View attachment 20153
Sorry about that but at least the scratches are barely noticeable. They run with the frame lines.

my first few marks on my bike were from some guys removing a concrete curb in my garage. I guess the bike was in the way and they moved it or dropped something on and I’m not really sure what happened. They are minor marks but piss me off nonetheless. It’s one thing to fall and do it yourself it’s another thing to have someone else do it…at least to me!

Now, i’m trying to think about it differently and think more like battle scars and the history of my bike. Every scratch tells a story! Just want to ride it and enjoy it in the more chips and marks I get the better I am utilising this fairly expensive ebike. ?

53AEC696-D43B-45EE-9742-F52821C6ED47.jpeg

eMTB XL

Jan 14, 2021
USA

View attachment 20153
I have a 2020 and yes the matte paint is week. Basically I purchased matte clear paint protection film and applied it myself to the large areas that are more susceptible. I still have lots of chips around the lower pivot area were their is no protection. If you ride your bike there is no way to keep it perfect, but I try to anyway!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles