Massachusetts DCR set to ban "pedal assist ebikes" from ALL state park/forest "natural surface" trails

Sofa Kingfast

Feb 12, 2021
Boston
This is from the new EC in regards to the Advocate forum:
"
I want to provide some clarification of NEMBA's role in this.

NEMBA is helping to serve as a catalyst. In our updated statement we called on eMTB enthusiasts to come forward and organize. This forum is providing a springboard for those interested in advocating for eMTBs to connect. I know some have concerns about the optics of NEMBA hosting an eMTB Advocate Forum, but this is in line with the statements made in our updated eMTB position statement.

NEMBA is not directly advocating for eMTBs. Similarly, we are not directly advocating against eMTBs. We are joining the conversation, and in some ways providing the table for the conversation to start from. Many of the prominent voices have been NEMBA members, past & present.

An important reminder, which is also noted in our updated statement: NEMBA does not set policy. Nor do we spend a great deal of time on direct advocacy efforts to change policy. (This can change if desired, but it is not currently a primary focus.) We value our relationships with land managers and feel they have the final say regarding access. Overall eMTB policies should be based on facts and input from a wide variety of stakeholders, including NEMBA.

We have received a primarily positive response to our updated statement (over 30+ emails of support vs 2 negative) and strong interest from members, non-members, and the broader community in participating in the upcoming forum.

eMTBs are a divisive topic. I am hopeful as time progresses we can shift our focus to broader rider education, greater trail access for all users, and responsible trail stewardship.

My underlying goal is to broaden NEMBA's umbrella to capture a larger community. "
Barry

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
NEMBA recently updated its "position" on eMTBs. While not fully embracing true pedelec MTBs, it's a far cry from NEMBA's previous - often ridiculous - statements on them since 2013.

Note the reference at the end to a new Facebook Group that advocates for eMTB trail access in New England. I heartily urge all New England riders to join, if you haven't already.

NEMBA's new Executive Director, Travis Counsell, also invited eMTBers to join a Zoom Forum on Sat Feb 20 at 5pm eastern. I believe NEMBA hired him in part because of his willingness to work with e-mountainbikers - the prior ED outright rejected such overtures, and lost at least a few members (like me) as a result.

For anyone not on Facebook, you can sign up to join the Zoom meeting by emailing [email protected]

I think that they must have figured out that the eBike apocalypse isn’t happening. I ride my eBike at South Mountain park where the trails are legal and eBikes are probably only one out of fifty. Half of the eBikers I see are mixed in with normal mountain bikes and the rest are mostly older guys like me riding solo.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles