MAINTENANCE CHECK FOR YOU FAVOURITED TOY

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Just a word of warning
Fell off my bike 9 weeks ago and fractured 3 bones in my hand, not the bikes fault, it was the daft twat that was riding it.
Just got back on the bike about a week ago, went out for a road ride just to check how my hand felt, after about 6 miles it felt as though I might have bent a peddle, which seemed a bit strange as I had just ridden 6 miles and not felt it until then, 200 yards further up the road my crank arm fell off, much to the amusement of my so called best friend.
When my so called best friend had stopped laughing his bollock's off, we found said crank arm and Allen bolt.
Because we had only gone out for a road ride we hadn't taken any tools at all.
Luckily 2 roadies were passing, so I called them over and luckily they had a multi tool.
So thanks to them managed to tighten the arm back on.
A quick ride to the pub, a couple of pints of Guinness and a discussion about our friendship, which seemed to be wearing a bit thin, and a ride home, I then retightened both Allen bolts in the garage.
So I just wanted to warn everybody, just check and see if your best friend..... really is your best friend........
No I mean, just check your crank bolts are tight.
I've since been out twice on my bike and it seems everything is ok with said bike....and SO CALLED BEST FRIEND
IMG_0385.JPG

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had paid for my grandson (8 at the time) to receive some 1:1 mtb tuition. I went along as chaperone/confidence builder etc. The little sod did everything for the instructor that I had been trying to teach him to do but wouldn't previously do for me! (Sorry, I digress).

My front gear shifting started to go off, so I stopped to sort it out. I was 2x10 at the time and I quickly readjusted the front mech. I should have known better, because front mechs NEVER go wrong. But I was in a hurry to get it sorted and not hold them up. I stopped twice more with the same problem, each time opting for a quick adjustment instead of my normal thorough sort out.

Then the non-drive crank arm fell off!

The clamp bolts had slackened, and the drive side crank had slowly moved away from the frame which was causing the front mech shifting problems. I was lucky indeed that the splines on the crank axle and the crank were undamaged. But the threads on the plastic pre-set adjuster were totally stripped!

Once properly diagnosed it was easily and quickly fixed, but boy was I embarrassed! All this had been played out in front of the instructor who had insisted on putting my grandson's bike through a complete safety check before he began the lessons. "You would not believe how many unsafe bikes I find this way!" I felt a complete idiot. :eek:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If my mates didn’t take the piss when something like this happens I’d find new mates!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles