Main dealer bike building

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
I bought my Stance from a main dealer in the UK in August and have had a few niggles with it that I don't think I would have had the bike been assembled properly. First off the shifting was all over the place as there wasn't enough tension on the cable then I found front brake hose was twisted so that it rubbed against the frame and removed the paint the first time I had it out. The rear wheel bearings had excessive play so I had to get my cone spanners out for some adjustment and today I was lubing the chain and noticed that the chain ring wobbled about a bit because all 4 of the chain ring bolts were loose. I came to wonder exactly what assembly work a dealer has to do when a bike arrives from the factory ? Is it more a case of checking it works or do they have to bolt a lot of it together ?

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
It varies slightly but they usually they come in a box with the transmission, rear wheel,forks and all the major componets already assembled to the frame. The front wheel, pedals (if supplied) and the handlebars (which already have brakes, shifters, grips, etc. already attached) are assembled in the shop. The parts you described would have been assembled at the factory but part of buying a bike from a dealer rather than online is that they would go over the whole thing before you collect it.
My local dealer made an appointment for me to collect my bike and set up my controls and seat height and also set my suspension pressures. I was also invited to bring the bike back after 6 weeks to have a free inspection to check that everything was still OK.
This is the reason people go to their LBS rather than just order online. This vid will give you a good idea to what a bike shop does
?‍♂️ :rolleyes:

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
I'd have loved to have gone to my LBS but it took me weeks and weeks to actually track down the Stance and I had to go down the online buying route. From what I can gather it sounds like mine wasn't assembled correctly at the factory.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Hello Claxon, do you realise that anybody who puts the cursor over your name on the left of your posts can see your post code?
This shows your house if they use it on Google Maps and is an open invitation for bike thieves to visit you.
You can remove it in your account settings on the tool bar at the top of the page.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles