Magura MT7 MDR-P on center lock?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ve upgraded the front stock to MDR-C which is center lock and the difference is pretty clear to me already enough to want the MDR-P but it’s not Center lock...

my question is has anyone managed to fit one of the P discs to a centerlock and if so how?

The advice is not to use Center lock adapters so I’m curious as to why the discs don’t have a direct Center lock version of it’s not possible

My bikes an Orbea wild.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I was wondering if maybe the MDR-P restriction against CL adapters has something to do with the centerlock specification not being rated for 220mm rotors, but it looks like Shimano now has an official 220 CL rotor themselves: SM-RT64 (shimano.com)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I was wondering if maybe the MDR-P restriction against CL adapters has something to do with the centerlock specification not being rated for 220mm rotors, but it looks like Shimano now has an official 220 CL rotor themselves: SM-RT64 (shimano.com)
Rotor MDR-P, Ø 203 mm here’s the 203mm magura one, I’m not sure about using another brand as my stock (I think Shimano) doesn’t work well at all, it gets hot fast and braking traction isn’t as good plus it makes a weird gurgling sound because the pads go over the discs which don’t seem sized quite right

I might give the ones you found a try though cheers

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Yeah, the warning against CL adapters exists on all the MDR-P rotors, not just the 220. Another possibility is that the thickness of the carrier reduces the security of CL adapters. Anyway, all we can do is speculate unless a Q&A session with the right Magura tech pops up, so for now it's difficult to know whether they're being overcautious.

For what it's worth, Formula also makes a 220mm CL rotor. It's just they were difficult to get even before the current situation: FORMULA Bremsscheibe Monolitic einteilig Center Lock | 220 mm, 62,50 € (r2-bike.com)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Yeah, the warning against CL adapters exists on all the MDR-P rotors, not just the 220. Another possibility is that the thickness of the carrier reduces the security of CL adapters. Anyway, all we can do is speculate unless a Q&A session with the right Magura tech pops up, so for now it's difficult to know whether they're being overcautious.

For what it's worth, Formula also makes a 220mm CL rotor. It's just they were difficult to get even before the current situation: FORMULA Bremsscheibe Monolitic einteilig Center Lock | 220 mm, 62,50 € (r2-bike.com)

Have you any experience with 220mm rotars? I was thinking that they would add more modulation as there’s more heat dissipating and more disc to work with but others have said it just makes their bikes unworkable at times, that is an interesting option :)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Have you any experience with 220mm rotars? I was thinking that they would add more modulation as there’s more heat dissipating and more disc to work with but others have said it just makes their bikes unworkable at times, that is an interesting option :)
Bigger discs never improve modulation.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Yes, I started using 220's and 223's last year. I'd happily try a 246 if I could without paying an arm and leg for it, though it may turn out to be overkill. I certainly haven't experienced "too much power" yet.

The experience you get depends on your gross system weight (geared rider + bike), wheel size, brake characteristics (modulation/1 finger vs 2 finger), and terrain you ride. I'm 100+kg geared up and ride enduro 29ers on advanced and expert runs using 1-finger braking on MT7s or DH-R Evos. With 203's my index fingers would be aching really badly in the afternoon on bike park days. With 223s front and rear on my Wreckoning, it hasn't been an issue so far. I used to have to deal with glazed pads pretty frequently on park days or big mountain descents but it happens much less frequently now.

On the flip side, I wouldn't be surprised if a 60kg beginner on a 27.5" trail bike and Shimano brakes might find 220+ rotors difficult to manage.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Bigger discs never improve modulation.
Objectively speaking, they're just raw power and leverage, sure. That said, (IME) matching that power to your conditions/wheels/rider weight makes it easier to stay in the sweet spot to balance traction and braking torque.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Yes, I started using 220's and 223's last year. I'd happily try a 246 if I could without paying an arm and leg for it, though it may turn out to be overkill. I certainly haven't experienced "too much power" yet.

The experience you get depends on your gross system weight (geared rider + bike), wheel size, brake characteristics (modulation/1 finger vs 2 finger), and terrain you ride. I'm 100+kg geared up and ride enduro 29ers on advanced and expert runs using 1-finger braking on MT7s or DH-R Evos. With 203's my index fingers would be aching really badly in the afternoon on bike park days. With 223s front and rear on my Wreckoning, it hasn't been an issue so far. I used to have to deal with glazed pads pretty frequently on park days or big mountain descents but it happens much less frequently now.

On the flip side, I wouldn't be surprised if a 60kg beginner on a 27.5" trail bike and Shimano brakes might find 220+ rotors difficult to manage.

very interesting, I too have the MT7 running on my Orbea wild, originally I had the 223 discs but the CL problem happened sadly.

I have been looking at ways to upgrade to 223 but didn’t know how until now, can I ask what your setup is atm with 223, I might give this a go as I’m 85kg and probably over 100kg with the bag and all the gear I wear!

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I have been looking at ways to upgrade to 223 but didn’t know how until now, can I ask what your setup is atm with 223, I might give this a go as I’m 85kg and probably over 100kg with the bag and all the gear I wear!

I'm currently running TRP DH-R Evo brakes with MDR-P rotors (220/203 on the Orbea Wild and 220/220 on the Wreckoning). MT7s with Galfer 223s or MDR-P 220 rotors are a good lighter alternative if you can live with the fact that they're more prone to brake rub.

I never bought a 220/223 CL rotor of any kind though. The only reason I was looking into it was I hoping to keep my OEM wheels as a spare set to run different tires on, but it doesn't look to be worth the hassle with the rotor choices so limited.

Aviel_Tofekian

Sep 6, 2021
Eilat Israel
I did it with upgrade to magura Mt 7 pro with center lock adapter, everything ok!

Altitude poweplay a50 2021

IMG-20210906-WA0000.jpeg

laustin956

Oct 3, 2019
uk

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I did it with upgrade to magura Mt 7 pro with center lock adapter, everything ok!

Altitude poweplay a50 2021

View attachment 70917
Just to revive this question, you can install these 6 bolt rotors using centre lock rings
I've just put them on a new set of DT Swiss wheels using the DT Swiss centre lock rings that came with the wheels
They have the wording on the Rotors about not being able to use these with a lock ring but this rotor fitted just like any other make of 6 hole rotor
I can only assume they say this because they produce a rotor that fits the spline version for fixing it to the wheel

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles