Magura MT7 front brake noise

WWJ

Jun 4, 2020
Rhondda
Hi
can anyone throw any light on the problem with a graunching noise from the front brake on my 2021 Cube Sterio TM160.
The noise is not always there & can be cured by flicking the front brake lever a few times, the noise is there from start of ride right through to the end of ride.
I have checked for bent brake rotor & sticking brake pads, both seem to be fine, there is no heat in I brake or hub.
I have also checked the four pistons are free, they seem fine.
Also there is no noise under heavy braking, any suggestions please.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
how do you know it is the brake? Flicking the brake lever may also have an effect on the fork.

WWJ

Jun 4, 2020
Rhondda
how do you know it is the brake? Flicking the brake lever may also have an effect on the fork.
I believe it is a brake issue as it makes a noise just rolling on a flat smooth surface with front forks open or locked.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you have thoroughly checked the caliper it is more likely the noise is being generated by either the fork or the thru axle/bearings in the front hub. As far as the fork is concerned even if the travel is locked out ( most lockouts do not completely lock out the travel) there is still the steerer tube to crown connection.
that said a "graunching" noise would suggest a moving part that is rubbing or unstable so I would be investigating the front hub next.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Mine have always been noisy. Thought it was motor noise early on. Gets better briefly if I wash them.
I did have an issue detailed in other threads where the rotor only covered %95 of the pads. I had a step in the pad where the side of the step rubbed slightly on the outside edge of the disc. Was gunna file down the adaptor to fit better but went to a bigger disc and different adaptor. Pads fine now but still noisey at times.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I’ve had similar although more just squealing.
I found the cure was to loosen/remove the front wheel and replace it making sure it’s fully seated in the drop outs before closing the quick release lever.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Not that my MT7'S brakes were very noisy less the minor metal-to-metal sound and noticed when I went from SRAM adapters to Magura Q45 adapter, calipers were easier to align, did get that slight rubbing sound you gets sometimes when pads/rotirs are new and definitely less squealing when they got wet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles