Article Magura MT7’s are perfect for EMTB’s

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Magura MT7 brakes installed on the 2020 Kenevo by the team at Berkshire Cycles. They are a super powerful 4 piston brake. Single piece forged aluminium callipers with new MDR-P discs paired with Loic Bruni levers for the complete package!

Brakes cost about £150 each (can hunt around for deals!) and the Loic Bruni levers andMDR-P rotors are added extras. Check the brakes here at Magura’s site.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Just mounted the MT7 with Magura Shiftmix for SRAM.
Works perfect - and looks sleek too
Link
Shiftmix.jpg

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California
Great brake choice! I’ve been running the MT7s for a few months now on my 19 Levo. Absolutely love them! to be fair they replaced the base Level brakes with a 2 pot rear so I’m sure any upgrade would be night and day. I’m using the 1 finger levers which is part of the reason I picked Magura. They also look pretty cool too. They are a bit of a PITA to align the caliper without rubbing but not a huge deal.

I’ve been looking for those 2 piece rotors but no one has them in stock here in the states. If anyone knows of a place that sells them here or has reasonable shipping to the US let me know.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I just ordered the MT7 but originally looked at the MT5's but the levers would immediately be replaced to single-fingers and the pads they came with weren't near as good as the MT7 ones.

Adding up all cost of the bits I'd need to have a comfortable set of MT5's, the MT7s weren't that much more expensive.

Barto

Aug 28, 2019
Qld
I replaced the stock Sram level t set with a Magura Mt5 estop front and rear, with 203mm rotors and they are amazing. I'm heavier than most riders (140kgs), combined with the extra weight of the bike, I needed some stopping help. Couldn't ask for more!

Paul Chance

Jul 14, 2019
Solihull
My standard brakes on my Levo came alive once i swapped the standard pads out for CL Brakes VRX compound, but nothing wrong with a bit of bling!

fitzmotor

Jan 23, 2020
California
I am a fan of Magura, MT5's on one bike and MT7's on another, great stopping power, the only downside is with my big pig of a bike (125 lbs) I run a 224 mm front, 203 mm rear rotors and I boil the fluid if I hammer the brakes too hard, I turn the rotors blue almost to the mounting bolts, the Kool Stop Organic Pads really help, so I bleed them when necessary, I do highly recommend Magura.

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Zillertal, Tirol, Austria
Interesting, waiting for my 2020 TL FSR Comp to arrive. Living in the Alps you need big stopping power, my analogue Giant Anthem was changed to Zee's at the earliest opportunity. The supplier of the TL are fitting MT5 Austria edition brakes to mine. Upgraded Levers and rotors. They felt that the std SRAM RE are not really up to the job in these conditions. A fitted upgrade from new delivery costs 200€, but would be nearly 500€ if I had decided to risk the SRAM's first.....

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I've been thrashing the MT7's for a few weeks now and so far so good (mostly)

The good:
The Maguras are far more powerful than my old SRAM Codes but at the expense of a little modulation which is a trade-off that I'm happy with. The 2 pad configuration is interesting and I'm looking forward to trying different pad variations. On the trail, they're consistently strong and I've not experienced any fade. Weren't too difficult to setup/bleed but I did need to rebleed after the first ride to get all the bubbles out. The bleed kit is a must and comes with everything you'll need to set up and service for the life the brakes.

Not so good:
I toyed with the contact adjustment didn't really notice a difference. The overall lever quality doesn't impress me either, the 'plastic' is light but I'm dreading the day when they a serious hit. The match-maker system is not as good as the SRAM/SRAM, you can't adjust the position of the clicker in relation to the brake lever. I found the 'shiftup' clicker too far away with my lever in its natural place, and I had to move my hand between shifting and braking.

Verdict: If the only difference between in the MT5's and Mt7's is the lever, I'd go for the MT5's or even run a 'Shigura' configuration. The cheap feel of the lever is the only let down on an otherwise perfect brake.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I've been thrashing the MT7's for a few weeks now and so far so good (mostly)

The good:
The Maguras are far more powerful than my old SRAM Codes but at the expense of a little modulation which is a trade-off that I'm happy with. The 2 pad configuration is interesting and I'm looking forward to trying different pad variations. On the trail, they're consistently strong and I've not experienced any fade. Weren't too difficult to setup/bleed but I did need to rebleed after the first ride to get all the bubbles out. The bleed kit is a must and comes with everything you'll need to set up and service for the life the brakes.

Not so good:
I toyed with the contact adjustment didn't really notice a difference. The overall lever quality doesn't impress me either, the 'plastic' is light but I'm dreading the day when they a serious hit. The match-maker system is not as good as the SRAM/SRAM, you can't adjust the position of the clicker in relation to the brake lever. I found the 'shiftup' clicker too far away with my lever in its natural place, and I had to move my hand between shifting and braking.

Verdict: If the only difference between in the MT5's and Mt7's is the lever, I'd go for the MT5's or even run a 'Shigura' configuration. The cheap feel of the lever is the only let down on an otherwise perfect brake.

What’s a shigura setup mate?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Shimano lever of your choice, I used xt.
Magura hose. Shimano compression nut. I've used olives and barbs from both Shimano and magura with success. Shimano brake fluid.
Been running this on one of my bikes for over a year with no issues. Gets away from the horrible plasticy leaky magura levers.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
So guys what bloody calliper adapter do you get if you upgrade to 220mm rotors on the turbo levo?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles