Magura Estop

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont see what is particularly ebike specific about them, but I assume they are optimised to work with the bigger MDR-P rotors which run at up to 220mm

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
- brake light compatible
- rotor 220mm
- rotor is thicker
- brake pads are different (this “advantage” is over when you change out for new sintered pads)

If you only change the rotors on your regular MT5/MT7’s you pretty much have the same except for the ebike logo’s and brake light support.

Gren_Patterson

Nov 5, 2018
Belgium
- brake light compatible
- rotor 220mm
- rotor is thicker
- brake pads are different (this “advantage” is over when you change out for new sintered pads)

If you only change the rotors on your regular MT5/MT7’s you pretty much have the same except for the ebike logo’s and brake light support.

I’ve ordered the discs and pads for my MT5.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
for manufacturers, "ebike specific"is actually "€bike $p€cific"

Same brake, just more expensive (aside from the brake light functionality, which is a bit pointless on an MTB)

Kylowrench

Mar 1, 2021
Melbourne Australia
The switch would be for eBike motor cut out, its neater than the stick on switches needed when using most other hydraulic brake systems. I'm surprised its not offered by more manufacturers. Its easy to find in cable type levers

Have tested those (if it's the same model) on a Riese & Muller Superdelite. From what I understood then, they worked together with Bosch systems and cut the motor when braking and also turned on the rear brake light. Maybe they work with other motor systems too now.

I think they are mainly aimed at commuter bikes and not MTBs.

I don't get the motor cut-out feature for pedelecs. If I'm pedaling, I'm not braking and vice versa.
Same here, I don't get the point.

What is more interesting is that Bosch / Magura have developed a ABS system for eBikes, but that is a different brake than what is posted above. The ABS system was an option for that Superdelite I tested, but it was unfortunately not fitted to "my" particular bike.

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
The switch would be for eBike motor cut out, its neater than the stick on switches needed when using most other hydraulic brake systems. I'm surprised its not offered by more manufacturers. Its easy to find in cable type levers
That would be a good reason not to get them. I often pedal and feather my brake at the same time when doing technical bits to keep the power on the motor and controll the speed or slip of the wheel at the same time.

Kylowrench

Mar 1, 2021
Melbourne Australia
Have tested those (if it's the same model) on a Riese & Muller Superdelite. From what I understood then, they worked together with Bosch systems and cut the motor when braking and also turned on the rear brake light. Maybe they work with other motor systems too now.

I think they are mainly aimed at commuter bikes and not MTBs.
Definitely more for commuting or bike paths. If I'm coming up to a road or traffic lights I sometimes want the motor to cut out *now*. Most pedal assist systems have a delay between stopping pedalling and the motor cutting out which keeps things smooth. However there are times when you need to stop ASAP and not be fighting the motor.

It can also be handy if I want to start really slowly or creep forwards: a slight squeeze of the eLever means the motor won't propel me faster than I want into traffic

They're not aimed at technical off road rides

I tend to run one eLever so I can kill the motor if needed, but also have the option of slowing just a little if needed with the standard lever.

Cutout levers are also a legal requirement for eBikes here in Australia

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles