Magura Brakes

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
just thought I'd let others know about a confusing situation with the new Cube bikes.
I have purchased the new Cube SL625 CUBE Reaction Hybrid SL 625 29 grey´n´orange 2020
Looking at the brakes it states Magura MT Thirty, Front 4-Piston/ Rear 4-Piston. However the Magura MT Thirty do not exist so I had no idea which brake pads to buy as there's no mention of them on the Magura website. I contacted Magura and this is there reply

thank you for your request.

The MAGURA MT Thirty is a version that has been specially specified by the bicycle manufacturer. As rear brake the MT SPORT two-piston brake system will be used and at the front wheel our MT5 four-piston brake system was combined with the MT SPORT brake handle.

At the front brake (4 piston caliper) the 8.P (Performance), 8.R (Race) and 9.P (Performance), 9.C (Comfort) pads are useable.
At the rear brake (2 piston caliper) are the 7.P, 7.R and 7.C pads compatible.

After reading this i'm still confused as the rear brake on my bike is 4 Piston as stated in the Cube description and not the 2 piston stated by Magura. I'm kinda assuming I will need the 8.P,R, or 9.P,C on the rear and not the 7'ns stated by Magura

MAGURA | Bike & Motorcycle Brakes

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If it looks the same as the front then you just need either the MT5 pads or if each caliper has 4 separate pads held in with 2 screws then look for MT7 pads. I use a combination of EBC green and gold pads in mine but there are no shortage of after market pads available.
You can upgrade from the 2 pads per caliper pad version to the 4 pads per caliper version (assuming your calipers have the 2 screw holes above the pads) by just buying the screws which available from a number of eBay sellers.
This also means you don't have to remove the caliper or wheel when you change the pads.

Last edited:

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
here's the second reply from Magura
thank you for your response.

I´m a little confused too and I´ve found some different specifications where the brake system named MT Fifty or MT Thirty…
Long story short at the MT 4-Piston brake caliper you have the communicated options of the MAGURA 8. and 9. brake pads.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
It's not too complicated, MT2,4,6 & 8 are 2 piston calipers and use the same pads. MT5 and 7 are both 4 piston calipers and use the pads as I described in the post above.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I know it's not complicated. The point of the thread is that the MT Thirty on the Cube web site, do not exist

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
It's not too complicated, MT2,4,6 & 8 are 2 piston calipers and use the same pads. MT5 and 7 are both 4 piston calipers and use the pads as I described in the post above.
well it looks complicated to me! cube say they are 4 piston f & r, but magura seem to think they are 2 piston rears?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
They are 4 Piston Front and Rear

MT5 Pads are what you need

thanks. I wasn't so much interested in what type of pads they need, I don't even own any of these but I just wanted to know what the differences were between the MT 30 and MT 7

so the MT7 is the top spec they do
and the MT30 is MT7 front caliper & MT5 rear caliper, with some poorer quality levers???

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
thanks. I wasn't so much interested in what type of pads they need, I don't even own any of these but I just wanted to know what the differences were between the MT 30 and MT 7

so the MT7 is the top spec they do
and the MT30 is MT7 front caliper & MT5 rear caliper, with some poorer quality levers???

You're almost there...

The MT30 is 4 pot caliper like the MT5, though Bike Radar, describe this bike as having a mix.

#edited to correct previous assumption#

Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Last edited:

Coopes1710

May 18, 2020
Pontefract
I just come across this post while trying to work out what pads I need.
To clear the above up my MT thirty are 4 pot front and rear and the pads look the same as the MT 5 so that’s what I am going to order.
It’s a 2020 bike

scjgreen

Aug 5, 2020
Exeter
You want to order either

2 Sets of MT5 Pads (2 Pads Per Caliper)

Or

2 Sets of MT7 Pads (4 Pads and 2 Screws Per Caliper)

Either will work just fine

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I just come across this post while trying to work out what pads I need.
To clear the above up my MT thirty are 4 pot front and rear and the pads look the same as the MT 5 so that’s what I am going to order.
It’s a 2020 bike
These are the ones I've just purchased and put in mine

PINNACLE

Oct 21, 2020
Guildford
Thanks to this thread I got the right pads.

My original pads on my Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 wore out very quickly, 4 months and just 450 miles which was a bit of a shock as they were also down to metal. I had never checked them as my XC bike does years and 1000s of miles per set.

I ordered some genuine Magura MT5 pads on line as my local shop and repair guy didn't have any in stock but when the order confirmation came through it had a 10 day shipping date, so not wanting to wait I did some calling round and found Nirvana in Westcott had some "XLC" MT5 pads for just £8.99. I have now done 4 rides and 116 miles with them and I have to say they work sweeter than the original ones with much greater feel and not just on or off but sill able to pull up quick. Also the wear seems fine especially as it's been very gloopy and Surrey Hills sand must have killed my originals.

My Magura pads have eventually arrived but a set of performance and a set of comfort not the 2 pairs of performance I ordered, I got a refund for the difference but I am now not sure I will order Magura originals to match them up. I am thinking I might just fit them to the front for a few rides and review what all are like but at less than half the price the XLC seem to have a big head start over the Magura performance pads, also buying from a shop and what turned out to be a good one at that helps there score further.

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
Thanks to this thread I got the right pads.

My original pads on my Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 wore out very quickly, 4 months and just 450 miles which was a bit of a shock as they were also down to metal. I had never checked them as my XC bike does years and 1000s of miles per set.

I ordered some genuine Magura MT5 pads on line as my local shop and repair guy didn't have any in stock but when the order confirmation came through it had a 10 day shipping date, so not wanting to wait I did some calling round and found Nirvana in Westcott had some "XLC" MT5 pads for just £8.99. I have now done 4 rides and 116 miles with them and I have to say they work sweeter than the original ones with much greater feel and not just on or off but sill able to pull up quick. Also the wear seems fine especially as it's been very gloopy and Surrey Hills sand must have killed my originals.

My Magura pads have eventually arrived but a set of performance and a set of comfort not the 2 pairs of performance I ordered, I got a refund for the difference but I am now not sure I will order Magura originals to match them up. I am thinking I might just fit them to the front for a few rides and review what all are like but at less than half the price the XLC seem to have a big head start over the Magura performance pads, also buying from a shop and what turned out to be a good one at that helps there score further.
I always buy hard sintered pads in the winter, you can destroy a set of pads in as little as 60 miles riding in mud, in the summer the same pads but softer fibre compound are lasting 400-600 miles,
if you ride in mud check your pads every ride as I have had a set that pulled themselves through the calliper after getting down to metal on a long ride, it caused damage to the rear outboard piston which are composite on Magura MT5 I ended up changing the whole calliper as I was unable to buy just a piston by itself.
Mud is brutal to your braking system so just keep a good set of pads in at all times, pads are cheap and easy to change callipers are not !
I normally order them from uberbike or disco brakes on Ebay and buy a few sets at a time.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
I always buy hard sintered pads in the winter, you can destroy a set of pads in as little as 60 miles riding in mud, in the summer the same pads but softer fibre compound are lasting 400-600 miles,
if you ride in mud check your pads every ride as I have had a set that pulled themselves through the calliper after getting down to metal on a long ride, it caused damage to the rear outboard piston which are composite on Magura MT5 I ended up changing the whole calliper as I was unable to buy just a piston by itself.
Mud is brutal to your braking system so just keep a good set of pads in at all times, pads are cheap and easy to change callipers are not !
I normally order them from uberbike or disco brakes on Ebay and buy a few sets at a time.
300 miles or 3 weeks ownership - defo check those pads if your riding muddy

pads.JPG

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
it was reading your post that made me check and pre order pads for mine which i had at home ready when the rears gave out after only 3 weeks so youve prevented me from being stuck in over the christmas period with your post which prompted the pre order of pads, i now have some in the rucksack too in case of urgent need to replace , cheers for the advice albeit indirectly ;-)

campybike

Mar 28, 2021
Rexford NY
The Magura "MT Thirty" 4 piston is an "MT2* (Sport)" Lever with a "MT5" caliper.
The Magura "MT Thirty" 2 piston is an "MT2* (Sport)" Lever and caliper.

Either unit flip/flops for front/rear fitment, so OEM's can be flexible spec'ing a bike with number of pistons front and rear. A maker might go the same front and rear so the entire bike takes the same pads.

*There is also no such thing as an MT2, but I noticed most product photos of "MT Thirty" and "MT Sport" have a "2" embossed into the lever.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles