Lyric Ultimate opinion and suggestions?

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
I found a Lyric ultimate 29" 160mm 42 offset for what seems a very good price (around 700 usd) and want opinions from other users as well as setup suggestions. I have a 19 Levo expert and are not completely satisfied with the Pike in small bump sensitivity and overall feel. What would be the effect of the reduced offset? 42 vs 51mm.
Cheers!

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
The way short offsets interact with other aspects of geometry is a little bit voodoo. I think most brands that have gone down this route have partnered the short offset with... slack head tube angle, long reach, shortish chainstays. The usual modern geometry trappings.

The shorter offset will shorten the front centre and, allegedly, keep it in balance with the rear centre without having to lengthen the chainstays. So you're getting a shorter bike by a whopping 8 or so millimetres.

The second effect is the steering trail. Shortening the offset increases the trail. Increasing trail gives more of a self-centering feel; also described as slower feeling. This is where the voodoo is strong. Is slowness of steering a good characteristic? Is self-centering good? Those who have drunk the kool-aid say yes.

Is the '19 Levo a natural candidate for a short offset fork? Well...
... long? not really
... slack? not really
... short chainstays? not really

It may be the Levo is a bit too conservative geometry-wise to realise the benefits of the short offset.

I had a chat with an engineer at Norco who at that time were still putting out bikes with traditional offsets. He'd done some experimenting that combined a 1.5 degree slacker angleset with a 10mm longer fork and the reduced offset. This combo apparently worked a treat retrofitted to their existing frames but if you only partially applied the formula the results weren't that good.

This is a classic YMMV.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I'm looking at a 160 Lyrik Ultimate for my S-works build. Been debating back and forth around 42 or 51 offset, but seeing the 160 will slacken head angle a bit and also is longer, I have decided on the 42 Offset. Would probably go for the 51 if I kept with 150...

Slippery Pete is absolute correct in all that he writes above as well, in addition there is this video that tests it back to back and concludes more or less that it is very marginal differences, but actually also noticeable... so Guess not the most of help right there...

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Can’t you just replace the damper cartridge and fork seals with Lyrik RC2 or RCT3? You could also try the Luftkappe air piston kit to improve small bump sensitivity. Do both and you’re still way ahead and have the correct offset.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles