• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Lubricating derailleur and brake / gear levers?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Any suggestions on how to lubricate the derailleur other than where the chain goes. Should I use some kind of light oil spray to get into all the other parts of it? Also what about gear and brake levers?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use a light teflon lube, like "Weldtite TF2 Teflon Lubricant Spray" after every wash. The 6" long thin tube it comes with allows me to spray the pivot points only. I don't lube the gear and brake levers. I used to do so many years ago, but it just clogs them up.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
You will not beat Acf50, especially on contact parts like allen bolt heads and bolt through axles.
Comes as grease, spray or lube.
i use it on my motorbike. It is a brilliant anti rust coating and guard against salt. But shit sticks to it like a blanket. Your supposed to let the crud stick all winter and wash off again in spring. Underneath it’s as good as new. Best winter protection you can get!
But @Jaygam would you recommend it as a lubricant though as the crud sticks to it like a magnet?

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
You will not beat Acf50, especially on contact parts like allen bolt heads and bolt through axles.
i use it on my motorbike. It is a brilliant anti rust coating and guard against salt. But shit sticks to it like a blanket. Your supposed to let the crud stick all winter and wash off again in spring. Underneath it’s as good as new. Best winter protection you can get!
But @Jaygam would you recommend it as a lubricant though as the crud sticks to it like a magnet?
I've noticed that too but considerd what doesnt attract dirt on bolt heads etc? with assembled parts just wipe off the excess and its no problem.
Other "premium" Teflon, resin and silicon baised lubricants get dry and gammy or compromised by water very quicky in comparison.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I am a sucker for WD40 or similar. Nice spritzer tube so you can point it where you want it then wipe off with a clean soft cloth.
That’s what I use on the Jocky wheels. I also rub the frame and wheel hubs with it and a cloth I used it as a degreaser on my chain. But it thins the oil out you put on after so no good! I use it on cable ends, levers etc!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
wd40 is a cleaner not a lubricant!
Yes and no.

Was initially designed as a water dispersant - hence the WD. Reading safety sheets it pretty much lists hydrocarbons, petroleum base oil and carbon dioxide. The hydrocarbons are the greatest percentage and form the water dispersal/cleaning function with the petroleum base oil performing the protectant and lubricant and the carbon dioxide the propellant.

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
Also what about gear and brake levers?
For SRAM brake levers, never ever put anything else than DOT grease. Any oil, specially if sprayed goes easily to master piston and easily damages the seals. Believe me, I have done it :sick:. Luckily got it fixed under warranty, as SRAM has similar problems with seals swallowing under the hot conditions.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
fluorinated grease supposed to be cleaner just a little for pivots and teflon dry for the rest of the deralieur
shopping

and
shopping

Stephen

Jan 10, 2019
Mallorca , Spain
Rear derailleur - every 500km or so , take off the two cog wheels ( just two screws to be removed ), clean everything , apply grease and remount .Takes 10 minutes to do . Brake levers - I don't apply anything . Cables - I don't have any , that's one of the advantages of AXS dropper post and wireless derailleur .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
WD 40 Multi Use product..... This is what the manufacturers say.

Surface Cautions: Nearly all surfaces interact with WD-40 Multi-Use Product as they would any high grade aliphatic petroleum spirit. Certain types of rubber will swell upon prolonged immersion. Wax polishes and certain wax coatings may be softened by WD-40 Multi-Use Product. Clear polycarbonate and polystyrene may stress craze or crack. Always test surfaces first.

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
WD-40® Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything
Honestly if you think wd40 is good, really do try acf50, I had a crappy pin style padlock on the garage that got wet and tarnished inside, it was a real pain in the butt... wd40 did nothing, acf50 made it perfectly useable again and not had to maintain it again since.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles