LT 7 arrives tomorrow. Can’t wait

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Any hints and tips, more than welcome.
Demo'd an LT before deciding on something else as it didn't quite suit my riding style. I would suggest practising a manual/front wheel lift or two before you hit the trails. Learning that the long rear end requires you to put a little more effort to pop the front even compared to other eBikes not best done going off a drop like I did :oops:

The flip side is it climbed like a demon.

Last edited:
This is my set up - 70mm stem 10 deg raise . Bars are 780mm wide 35mm raise .

Makes the front end ( for me )easier to loft over logs and dips - i ride on a lot of fire roads , moto tracks and trails which are tight twisty and in some sections rough . IMG_2198.JPG IMG_2199.JPG IMG_2200.jpg

The only issue today was ........ i came off and the result was the screen is buggered .
Still works , just cannot read the info .....
errrrrr oooopppps .

IMG_2201.jpg

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
I've had my LT7 since September and put on about 800 miles. Its a great bike, but there are some must have upgrades, namely the brakes. Stock I found them very lacking and bloody noisy. So I whacked in some uber race matrix pads and they are just epic. I then put on a charge spoon saddle, which I think I will be changing to an Ergon SMC4 next just as an experiment. I've of course gone tubeless, but I also added some vitorri inserts which saved my bacon after a torn tyre at the bottom of the rangers path...was still able to cycle the 3 or so miles back with no issues. I then got a shorter 40mm stem and some LT9 handlebars on the 35mm clamp. These had a nicer rise and I felt it was better to ride. I changed these last week to some black carbon ltd edition renthal fatboys with 800mm and 10mm of rise and some nice sticky grips. I did this because I changed the air spring in the Yari to 180mm from the stock 160mm. At the same time I also put in the Charger damper insert, to make these basically the same as the lyric. Wow what a difference, loads better. I've also put on a set of uber floating radiator discs to compliment the uber pads...again quite a difference and even more power and feedback is there. My rear shock has also been replaced with a FOX DPX 2 giving me a bit more travel and plushness over the standard rockshox. I have an Eddy Current to go on the rear and a magic Mary for the front that will be fitted this week as well as a Sunrace MX80 11-50 cassette. I do alot of steep climbs and I quite fancy the better 1st gear ratio. All in all the bike is great and I love it. I couldn't afford the LT9 at the time so I've just steadily upgraded this one.
20190222_163741.jpg

Last edited:

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
Long rear end, bars a bit low and noisy brakes... Climbs anything, torquey motor, long battery range, bombs down steep stuff easily (but harder to manual off drops). I have changed to a shorter stem and higher bars. Will very likely change the discs and pads.

Standingwaves

Nov 24, 2018
USA
Great choice!
9.7 LT here.
Bike is awesome.
Noisy brakes = #1 complaint
Long or high speed descents and the whales in the ocean are diving to depths. No brake fade..just LOUD
Bike can handle it all tho

Last edited:

Yeah , the brakes ‘whirrrrr’ !
I am comfortable with the noise - I know they are working hard , I’ve done approx 1400km and on my third set of pads . Gets ridden fairly hard and I’m robust ......okay , hefty .. alright I’m a fat bastard .
Manually over stuff is challenging ,thehigher bars help with that .

I am interested in upgrading the fork also , so keen to hear how all that works out .

Matt

Feb 12, 2019
Northamptonshire
I've put 4 volume spacers in the fork to give it a more progressive feels I'll put a post up once I've had a few rides with it.

Marcus Arrowsmith

Sep 7, 2018
uk
I've had my LT7 since September and put on about 800 miles. Its a great bike, but there are some must have upgrades, namely the brakes. Stock I found them very lacking and bloody noisy. So I whacked in some uber race matrix pads and they are just epic. I then put on a charge spoon saddle, which I think I will be changing to an Ergon SMC4 next just as an experiment. I've of course gone tubeless, but I also added some vitorri inserts which saved my bacon after a torn tyre at the bottom of the rangers path...was still able to cycle the 3 or so miles back with no issues. I then got a shorter 40mm stem and some LT9 handlebars on the 35mm clamp. These had a nicer rise and I felt it was better to ride. I changed these last week to some black carbon ltd edition renthal fatboys with 800mm and 10mm of rise and some nice sticky grips. I did this because I changed the air spring in the Yari to 180mm from the stock 160mm. At the same time I also put in the Charger damper insert, to make these basically the same as the lyric. Wow what a difference, loads better. I've also put on a set of uber floating radiator discs to compliment the uber pads...again quite a difference and even more power and feedback is there. My rear shock has also been replaced with a FOX DPX 2 giving me a bit more travel and plushness over the standard rockshox. I have an Eddy Current to go on the rear and a magic Mary for the front that will be fitted this week as well as a Sunrace MX80 11-50 cassette. I do alot of steep climbs and I quite fancy the better 1st gear ratio. All in all the bike is great and I love it. I couldn't afford the LT9 at the time so I've just steadily upgraded this one. View attachment 11284
Hi, got my Powerfly now and want to put the Fox dpx2 on like you, any tips and size to get.
cheers.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
Hi, got my Powerfly now and want to put the Fox dpx2 on like you, any tips and size to get.
cheers.

As long as its 205mm total length then up to 65mm on the stroke it will fit. The multiplier is 2.6 from what I remember. 57.5x 2.6 = 150mm. I think they do a 60,62.5 and 65mm. So choose your stroke with what travel you want/need. I was told not to go above 60 as it will invalidate the warranty on the frame...

This would fit for example...

FOX Float DPX2 Performance Elite rear shock - 205 x 65mm - Trunnion mount - | eBay

It just doesnt have the kasmina coating and is less than half price, but will still function the same.

liv2ryd

Feb 15, 2019
Sutton, MA
Want to really wake up your 2019 Powerfly? Put a 29er fork and front wheel on and watch the sparks fly! I've been testing a LT7 and recently put a RS Lyrik 160 w 30mm front rim/Maxxis DHF 2.5 WT. I found the stock setup to be rather vague when pushing the bike thru turns and the weight bias to be front end heavy for hoping over logs, rocks etc...

Now I can corner with authority, pushing the bike into turns at higher speeds with much greater confidence. Lofting the front end is now much easier as well. My speed thru technical sections of trails is significantly faster and I'm now confident pushing in sections where I would back off previously. I can honestly say this should be what Trek releases for next season. Trek, are you listening!

I had the privilege of testing an Intense Tazer for a few days and loved the way that bike handled but I was not impressed with the battery integration. The Powerfly battery setup is a much better design but its trail performance was not even close to the Tazer. Now with the new front end, it has that same trail killer instinct.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles