Lowering stack height on e160 900?

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
Hi all, does anyone know where I can find a lower profile top spacer/cap for my FSA headset? I want to run my bars as low as possible with my 170 (soon to be 180 forks)? The FSA headset seems to have a very high cone shaped 17mm cap/spacer (pictured) and I can't find anyone selling anything lower profile without buying a complete headset, which I don't need. I've got no spacers under my stem and have cut my steerer already to remove all the spacers above the stem (the dreaded steerer phallus).

1.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you can't find one, you can get stems which allow for a negative drop. I believe, for example, that the Nukeproof Horizon stem allows you to do this, as it is designed to be run both sides up, depending on the bar position you want. As stock it is + 5mm, but you can flip it over and run it at - 5mm.

Nukeproof HORIZON Stem | Nukeproof

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
If you can't find one, you can get stems which allow for a negative drop. I believe, for example, that the Nukeproof Horizon stem allows you to do this, as it is designed to be run both sides up, depending on the bar position you want. As stock it is + 5mm, but you can flip it over and run it at - 5mm.

Nukeproof HORIZON Stem | Nukeproof
Good idea, not sure if the stock Merida stem is angled up, I think it’s neutral, so this would be an excuse for a new stem.

Does anyone know the exact specs of the e160 900 headset? Without taking it apart, I suspect it’s an Fsa orbit c40 abc, but I can’t tell if it’s drop in or has press fit cups. I can get one for $30, but want to be sure it’s going to work. I guess I’ll have a spare for when the current one wears out as it seems i have to buy the complete kit to get the one part.

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
Problem solved, I had an old Cane Creek spacer/cap that fitted the FSA headset perfectly. I took the rubber seal off the bottom of the FSA and it sleeved into the Cane Creek really well.
IMG_3428.JPG

Gregbase

Mar 7, 2019
Hungary
Hi all, does anyone know where I can find a lower profile top spacer/cap for my FSA headset? I want to run my bars as low as possible with my 170 (soon to be 180 forks)? The FSA headset seems to have a very high cone shaped 17mm cap/spacer (pictured) and I can't find anyone selling anything lower profile without buying a complete headset, which I don't need. I've got no spacers under my stem and have cut my steerer already to remove all the spacers above the stem (the dreaded steerer phallus).

View attachment 9557
Hey,
Also you may consider another option, like using this kind of stem. (Zoom Tequila).
This is what I have. It's negative angle, cheap and looks awesome too. :cool:

Tequila.jpg

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Might be a good time to get replace the creaky original headset anyway and if you are thinking about an angle on Works make one for your bike. Mine has not made any noise since i put it on last year. The original needed attention every 2 or 3 weeks. The works headset has a lower top cup.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles