Levo SL Gen 1 Lower power on the last 10% of a range extender

mk2021

Aug 1, 2021
Chester, Cheshire
When using a range extender, does anyone know if there is a way to stop the bike going in to power saving mode when it’s on the last bar? I typically try to run the extender out first so that I can swap it out with another one if needed but the problem I’m having is that when you run the bike in turbo mode and it hits the last bar. It will seemingly drop the power down to something similar to eco mode until it’s fully depleted. Then as soon as it is and bike goes back on to the main battery it fires back up in turbo mode. Is there anyway to avoid this?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Short answer is no as you are using it.

When the battery voltage drops towards the low voltage cutoff set by the BMS, Battery Management System, that is in place to not allow the cells to discharge beyond what they can withstand basically the controller software won't allow for demand for voltage beyond the batteries capacity.

Although batteries are rated in wh's generally it is their voltage that ultimately decides how they will perform and will be degenerating while using dependent on load requirements. You will just have to live with it as is and make arrangements to switch batteries sooner if you want to use Turbo past say 2 bars showing.

The bars showing are indicitive of the volts btw, not wh's. Some displays will show wh/mi consumption which is handy to know in relation to how you ride your bike and can plan on for future rides.

A1000

Aug 16, 2021
UK
Good explanation @Mabman protecting the battery health is important for both safety and it's life. What will be interesting to see over time is whether Specialize develop some more adaptive usage profiles such as using the extender down to 20% then switch to the main battery until it gets down to 20% and then switch to use both in 'parallel'. As always it's a trade off between simple user options with advanced options. Hopefully we'll get some options in future though.

Interesting what you say about the bars representing volts rather than WH's after yesterday's ride I had 3 bars and 23% on the display. Either way my legs were below 10%😜

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Bottom line is that you as an individual gets to know what the limitations of your riding style/terrain will net you with regards to the battery you have on board. If you stay relatively consistent with your input the bike will also in regards to output. That way you can plan your rides accordingly and not have range anxiety issues. I have come home on fumes more times than completely watted out after figuring this out.

The fun part is getting to the end of the ride you had planned and figuring out you have plenty of battery left and hitting the afterburners or the ability to take another lap at the pace you have been doing...

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Draining a battery below 10% damages it. Extender batteries are smaller and suffer more voltage drop under load they. They have an even higher cutoff to protect the battery.

Never ever store your batteries full charged or the useful lifespan will be abysmal.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
Good explanations.
In summary:
1. Never store a battery fully charged or discharged, store it between 40 and 80% max.
2. Do not drain large current from a discharged battery.
And you battery will last a very long time :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles