Low BB...

Tienhaara

Apr 27, 2020
Finland
Anyone suffer from low BB? I’ve got the 180 rs and allthough I knew about the low BB and taking it in to concideration when riding, it still feels kind of low. Are there any tricks or trades among whyte-riders to raise the bike?

All be it, the bike is great! Can not give enough praise. Well built, trustworthy in every single situation-even OTB!

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Anyone suffer from low BB? I’ve got the 180 rs and allthough I knew about the low BB and taking it in to concideration when riding, it still feels kind of low. Are there any tricks or trades among whyte-riders to raise the bike?

All be it, the bike is great! Can not give enough praise. Well built, trustworthy in every single situation-even OTB!
There's supposed to be a new shock linkage kit coming out called 'switch it' that will lift the BB height. My LBS phoned Whyte and confirmed this. I keep looking for info but can find nothing. I emailed Whyte but have had no response!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are you running the correct spring rate for your weight?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's not actually all that low for a long travel gravity biased mtb. It's just low for an Emtb. Geometry and travel aren't too far off that of a modern DH bike.
The BB being a little lower than the average Eeb isn't really a bad thing, The lower BB and subsequent lower overall CoG of the rider means the bike will be even more stable and give the bike more cornering grip. The downside to this is pedalling clearance when the ground is littered with holes/ruts, rocks n roots etc. learn the pedal clearance (as you should witrh any bike) and learn when you can safely put a pedal stroke and when you can't and you will reap the benefits of the low BB. - this does require thinking about foot position more but ultimately it's woth it as you'll become a better rider too.
Anyone thinking about raising or steepening one of these has bought the wrong bike IMO.

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
It's not actually all that low for a long travel gravity biased mtb. It's just low for an Emtb. Geometry and travel aren't too far off that of a modern DH bike.
The BB being a little lower than the average Eeb isn't really a bad thing, The lower BB and subsequent lower overall CoG of the rider means the bike will be even more stable and give the bike more cornering grip. The downside to this is pedalling clearance when the ground is littered with holes/ruts, rocks n roots etc. learn the pedal clearance (as you should witrh any bike) and learn when you can safely put a pedal stroke and when you can't and you will reap the benefits of the low BB. - this does require thinking about foot position more but ultimately it's woth it as you'll become a better rider too.
Anyone thinking about raising or steepening one of these has bought the wrong bike IMO.
You are correct, anyone that buys a Mountain bike with a 13.2 / 336 mm BB height has bought the wrong bike.....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You are correct, anyone that buys a Mountain bike with a 13.2 / 336 mm BB height has bought the wrong bike.....
I have quite a few mtbs with lower BB heights than that. including my 170mm Emtb (326mm)

folk who moan about pedal strikes are basically complaining about their own foot to eye co-ordination and line planning skills ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
hate-work-well-done-meme.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well your entitled to your opinion, mine would be the best handling bikes have low BB's these days, and I dont think anyone on this Forum makes a habit out of riding bike paths, if your a decent rider with good technique then a low BB will only have benefits.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I'm a massive fan of low BB but there comes a point where correct timing of pedal strokes causes the bike to be slower than a BB height that would allow for more consistent pedaling.
What crank length does the 180 RS use? Shortening the cranks might be a win-win situation to avoid you having to raise the BB. 5mm crank length change is really noticeable particularly on technical climbs where it's important to just keep pedaling rather than worrying about the efficiency.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I hope you've got this advice saved so you can copy and paste everytime this query/pedal strikes appears on this forum

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What you clearly don't understand is dynamic BB height.
Suspension travel has to be taken into account when designing static BB height. So the ideal static BB height of bikes with different amount of suspension differs. But even so the Whyte isn't spectacularly low. forgetting muppets who can't time a pedal stroke for a second. Too low a BB also affects handling negatively in maneuverability and nimbleness the larger the wheel size (the higher the axle) the greater effect a very low bb will have on this .

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have the E180 RS and also a Levo Comp. .....and I dont ride bike parks. When I first started riding the Whyte I had regular pedal strikes but mostly on specific trail centre trails rather than my local forest trails. I agree totally with Gary here. The low centre of balance of the E180 makes an incredible difference to its handling especially on fast descents with sweeping left then right turns but it does mean being far more conscious of when to put in a pedal stroke and when not. The big difference I noted between my local natural forest trails and a trial centre red trail ( for example) is that trail centres tend to use rocks as trail boundary markers and to support negative camber corners etc.
After a couple of weeks and the need to replace a few pins on my pedals I am no longer suffering more than the occasional pedal strike. So it is...at least for me, just a matter of adjusting. If that is an improvement to my riding then great, it certainly encourages far better technique on corners which brings even more benefit.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Way back in the late 70s Mongoose BMX bikes were the standard .
The were had relatively low BB . Meant you had to wait a moment longer before you could start pedaling exiting corners . But felt better turning the corners . Jumping was also more comfortable because of the lower centre of gravity .

Here we are 40 years later discussing the same things ???

Tienhaara

Apr 27, 2020
Finland
I’m the tool that started the thread, I was young and stupid and in need of the money....

Now a few months and a lot of asstime later I do understand the pros of a proper handling bike. It was a steep learningcurve and some pins off me pedals, just simply a different feel from my acoustic bike (bb is just slighly higher?).

I now stand corrected!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles