Lots of drag and resistance on my 2020 Levo

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Would you mind letting me know the exact minions you’re riding? I’ve been looking at these too and struggling to find any in stock. Thanks!

You're all on 29" but on my last bike I had Maxis Icon's, these rolled quite nicely, but the side walls slashed very easily on rocks. Changed to Maxxis DHF on the front and DHRII on the rear (27.5+). Incredible levels of grip, but noticeably more drag (10% drop in speeds on fast descents) and a lot of tyre noise if you end up on tarmac. Have the Butchers on the Kenevo and this has a lot less drag than the DHF/DHRII combination, considerably quieter on tarmac (not that I go on tarmac much) and considerably less grip on wet rock and roots..

Bike discount normally have quite good stock : 29" minions Maxxis Bike-Discount

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Well, just my luck.
Out of 3 sealed boxes, I have to chose the LEMON Levo, with a faulty bearings, bad installation, motor, who knows.... :mad:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I've had one instance on my 19 Comp where at the top of a 20 minute climb, pushing quite a high gear in Turbo, the bike suddenly felt like I was pulling a trailer. There was no noise to speak of and when I checked the app the motor wasn't too hot, so I turned it off, cycled the cranks a few times to see if the there was anything jammed where it shouldn't be and then switched it on again. No problems since, but will be getting the firmware checked by the LBS next time I'm there.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well, just my luck.
Out of 3 sealed boxes, I have to chose the LEMON Levo, with a faulty bearings, bad installation, motor, who knows.... :mad:

Have you got the electronic parking brake on ??

Sounds rough .. at least it's fairly obvious, so they should just swap it out.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I have had perceived drag twice on my 2020.
First, having switched to turbo. Mission control showed boost to be 25%, haven't a clue how.
Second, pedaling past the cut off. Dropping a couple of gears and riding higher cadence helped. I then noticed the same on both my analogue hardtails, bad enough to check the brakes and drive train were running free. Again higher cadence was the answer. The only common factor was me, I think being so used to the immediate boost from the motor that i had forgotten the basics.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Have you got the electronic parking brake on ??
Sounds rough .. at least it's fairly obvious, so they should just swap it out.
Yes, is rough, making little squeaking noises too, like something was over tightened or Assembled wrongly.
When you install rear wheel, there is so much drag, that is almost impossible to fine tune the rear derailleur. Really curious what will the mechanic find out to be wrong here.
Today, what ever you buy, more expensive top end stuff, everything breaks 10x sooner, than in a good old days.
Thinking, that no brand stuff, also made in China, are getting more reliable.
Would really like to be behind a person at Specialized, who assabeld this, put the bike like that in the box and gave him/her a good.....
source.gif

, so that he/she would never do that again.

Last edited:

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
I've been enjoying my 2020 Levo Comp for a couple of weeks, clocked up 120km so far. Yesterday when riding back from the trails along the road, I noticed I couldn't get it past the 30 km/h cutout no matter how hard I pedalled. I slowed right down and tried riding with the motor switched off. There was so much drag It was like wading through treacle. Sometimes it would start easy and the drag would increase after a few seconds. It's pretty much unrideable without the motor assist. I wasn't like this before so I guess there's a problem? It's booked in at Cycleways, Christchurch on Tuesday. Has anyone else had this happen?
I've had my 2020 Levo for 3 weeks now and I too have turned the motor off on the flat and find it impossible to keep the speed up, usually around 15mph so not over the cutout limit.
I was surprised at the amount of resistance as my old Haibike I could happily ride on the flat with the motor off.
As stated it's like riding through treacle or sand. I put it down to it being a different motor, but it's like peddling with the brakes on.
I was over at the dealers, Berkshire cycles, yesterday having the motor software update done. After finding this thread today I wish I had mentioned it, a quick phone call to them this morning to see if there is an issue is in order methinks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles