Lots of drag and resistance on my 2020 Levo

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
I've been enjoying my 2020 Levo Comp for a couple of weeks, clocked up 120km so far. Yesterday when riding back from the trails along the road, I noticed I couldn't get it past the 30 km/h cutout no matter how hard I pedalled. I slowed right down and tried riding with the motor switched off. There was so much drag It was like wading through treacle. Sometimes it would start easy and the drag would increase after a few seconds. It's pretty much unrideable without the motor assist. I wasn't like this before so I guess there's a problem? It's booked in at Cycleways, Christchurch on Tuesday. Has anyone else had this happen?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Are you sure it is a problem with the motor/battery/software (ie the "e"). Could this be a mechanical problem? Sticking brakes for example. I recently had problems with my rear brake, the pistons cracked at the back. The pistons came out when I braked but often would not go back, so the pads were rubbing, but not all the time!

Edit: I also had another mechanical problem very recently that I was convinced was a motor problem. I ended up severely damaging the spider on the front ring to the extent that the bike was not safe to ride. When I get the new spider fitted I will post with pics. I give these two examples by way of illustration, I'm not saying that either is your problem.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I turned the motor down by accident in the app, and I couldn’t understand why I was not getting any drive, it might be worth checking the settings.

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
Are you sure it is a problem with the motor/battery/software (ie the "e"). Could this be a mechanical problem? Sticking brakes for example. I recently had problems with my rear brake, the pistons cracked at the back. The pistons came out when I braked but often would not go back, so the pads were rubbing, but not all the time!

Edit: I also had another mechanical problem very recently that I was convinced was a motor problem. I ended up severely damaging the spider on the front ring to the extent that the bike was not safe to ride. When I get the new spider fitted I will post with pics. I give these two examples by way of illustration, I'm not saying that either is your problem.
I've been having a tinker this morning. Wheels spinning freely. Turning the cranks to drive the wheel with the bike off the ground, there is no resistance. It seems to happen when riding. I have reset the bike and that seems to have made it a bit better...

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
Yup and yup. I’ll know more Monday ?☮️

By the way, these motors are whisper quiet and really do have minimal negative resistance at shut off. Using the BLEvo app helps a lot while I’m waiting.
Did you hear back from your dealer? Mine seems to be OK after doing the reset, so If it goes into dealer today there's nothing to show them. I'm going to have a go with Blevo and see if has worked itself out.

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
I’ve had my 2020 expert for a couple of weeks and find the drag so disappointing after top motor speed is reached. This is my first Levo, I had a base range Haibike before (a fifth of the cost) and the drag at top speed was better. I was actually thinking of derestricting the engine with a badass 4 but I’m hesitant now if you say there could be a problem.

zarick

Sep 6, 2019
Switzerland
Thanks for this tread! I thought I was imagining things... but yes it feels like the motor ain’t always disengaging properly and you run into molasses once you go over 25 km/h

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
Thanks for this tread! I thought I was imagining things... but yes it feels like the motor ain’t always disengaging properly and you run into molasses once you go over 25 km/h
Yeah exactly! I don't really want to chip the bike and void the warranty as it's only 2 weeks old. I will get the Spech Concept Store to change the circumference first, but this seems like a real problem

zarick

Sep 6, 2019
Switzerland
Yeah exactly! I don't really want to chip the bike and void the warranty as it's only 2 weeks old. I will get the Spech Concept Store to change the circumference first, but this seems like a real problem
It’s probably a software bug that can be resolved with an update of the computer software. I’ll call my dealer on Monday to see if he already has an solution ready.

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
So my Levo had a visit to Cycleways and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They reckon the drag is the same on all the Levo's. I'm wondering if I've got so used to having the assistance that it just feels really sluggish under my own power. The tyres are super slow rolling which really doesn't help. I will change them for something faster when they wear out.

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
So my Levo had a visit to Cycleways and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They reckon the drag is the same on all the Levo's. I'm wondering if I've got so used to having the assistance that it just feels really sluggish under my own power. The tyres are super slow rolling which really doesn't help. I will change them for something faster when they wear out.
I'm not a fan of the tyres, either. Any recommendations on top quality good rollers (2020 29ner)?

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
So, I have a new motor getting installed. So in the mean time I am riding a new Stumpjumper 29; I’ve noticed the drag on it is comparable to the drag on the Levo past it’s speed limit. It seems like the tires are where the drag is coming from at this point.

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
So, I have a new motor getting installed. So in the mean time I am riding a new Stumpjumper 29; I’ve noticed the drag on it is comparable to the drag on the Levo past it’s speed limit. It seems like the tires are where the drag is coming from at this point.
What is the reason for your motor to be replaced?

Jeddz

Sep 8, 2019
Sydney
I've been enjoying my 2020 Levo Comp for a couple of weeks, clocked up 120km so far. Yesterday when riding back from the trails along the road, I noticed I couldn't get it past the 30 km/h cutout no matter how hard I pedalled. I slowed right down and tried riding with the motor switched off. There was so much drag It was like wading through treacle. Sometimes it would start easy and the drag would increase after a few seconds. It's pretty much unrideable without the motor assist. I wasn't like this before so I guess there's a problem? It's booked in at Cycleways, Christchurch on Tuesday. Has anyone else had this happen?

You are not alone my friend. I have the RM Altitude Power Play and there is so so so much resistance above 25kph (Australia) that it feels exactly like the brakes are applied. It surprises me because I had read that the Dyname 3.0 had very little resistance.

I am going to contact my dealer but I may have to derestrict the motor because it’s way way too slow in some circumstances when it simply stops you pedaling above 25kph

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
Noise and intermittent resistance under a load. As I said, BLEvo helped and kept riding it until the motor arrived.
Have you felt a big difference with your new motor? I'm not sure whether there is anything wrong with mine, or I'm just feeling the drag from the tyres and weight of the bike.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
Have you felt a big difference with your new motor? I'm not sure whether there is anything wrong with mine, or I'm just feeling the drag from the tyres and weight of the bike.
I haven’t rode with the new motor yet. However, if there is resistance above the speed limiter you will feel it going downhill. On the flat or slight uphill, the weight and tire resistance is more amplified than a mechanical bike.

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
So as an experiment to figure out if the drag and resistance is me or the bike, I took my old Giant Anthem out for a pedal. It's half the weight of the Levo with fast rolling tyres. Guess what? It has also developed drag and resistance!

I was shocked by how hard it felt to pedal. Really shows how quickly I've got used to the assistance from my Levo and how dependant I've become on the motor in a few weeks.

Anyone else tried a regular bike after their ebike?

We need a name for this condition. Maybe ebike induced leg laziness.

Jeddz

Sep 8, 2019
Sydney
So as an experiment to figure out if the drag and resistance is me or the bike, I took my old Giant Anthem out for a pedal. It's half the weight of the Levo with fast rolling tyres. Guess what? It has also developed drag and resistance!

I was shocked by how hard it felt to pedal. Really shows how quickly I've got used to the assistance from my Levo and how dependant I've become on the motor in a few weeks.

Anyone else tried a regular bike after their ebike?

We need a name for this condition. Maybe ebike induced leg laziness.

Yeah. Have to disagree. Took my Santa Cruz Tallboy out yesterday to test your theory. And it flew. Exactly as it always did. When it came to the ups it was a punish. Just like it always was.

If anything having the ebike I’m riding more and definitely fitter than I was before ebike. Really testing the SCTB again was to confirm what I suspected. The motor is an absolute anchor over 25kph.

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
Mine has gone back to the dealer for exactly this. My Levo wouldn't even turn on unless I removed the wiring harness and reconnected. Then I'd get a flashing red light. The drag was horrendous over the weekend. I had the exact same issue with my Kenevo and it transpired it was the wiring harness. Pretty sure my Levo has the same issue. I'm getting to the point where I'm considering giving the bike back and getting an analogue bike again.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I was thinking my 2020 was in a similar situation of riding thru treacle above 25kmh and was about to bring it back to the shop until today.

On trail it felt like it would get to the assistance limit easily in any mode then a parachute was thrown out and pedaling just became super heavy with no real increase in speed. I took the terrible Specialized tyres off that the bike came with and changed to an Assegai front and a Dissector rear and the bike came alive, such a difference.

It still felt sluggish after 25kmh so today I did a bit if a test riding downhill first whilst pedaling the entire way and then again down the same hill but coasting after I had hit 25kmh. Initially I was pretty convinced it would be quicker coasting as I thought the motor just wasn't disengaging over the 25kmh limit but it turns out that perhaps it is working as intended. I hit 43kmh coasting and 49kmh pedaling so whilst it isn't a huge difference it was enough for me to put any thought of an unserviceable bike to bed and get on with riding the big girl who just needs a little bit more effort put in to help with her girth :ROFLMAO:

#dontskiplegday

NathanNZ

Aug 26, 2019
New Zealand
The stock tires are really soft and slow. Change them to anything Maxxis you like the tread for in your area and you will gain speed.
Yes I think the tyres are a lot to do with it. They are very soft and heavy. Interesting choice on the Maxxis, instead of the Minions everyone seems to run. What made you choose those, and what terrain are you riding on?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles