Looking for advice purchasing my first emtb

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Hi all, new member here looking to purchase my first ebike. I’ve been mtbing since I was 13 (even before suspension, I’m now 43) but unfortunately I have adult on set muscular dystrophy and my ability to ride is slowly being taken away from me. An emtb would keep me going for a few more years. I’ve been doing loads of research and have narrowed it down to three bikes, Specialized levo, trance e 1 and a trek powerfly 7. My problem is that the more research I do the more confused I become and the harder my decision is becoming! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
Try to test ride them if you can.

IMO - Levo is a really nice balanced ride, Brose motor is quiet and amooth engagement. The 29er wheels rol over stuff easily. Bang for your buck is not as good and components are poor value compared with other brands. (I am guessing that they thought that harder core roders would buy and upgrade). Really noce ride though.

I test rode a Merida e160 and really loced the Shimano motor, but I could not get them to drop the price much more than 10%. Nice components too, although lower spec brakes (which seems important given the extra weight of an eBike).

Trance is awesome value kit and also rides really nice - if you can get on with the motor. I test rode one (expecting to buy it) but found that the Yamaha system assistance came on really quickly and I found the small LED boost level indicator really hard to see.

I paid to hire a demo Powerfly FS and rode a local trail. I loved the Bosch motor, especially the eMTB mode, which is really intuitive- the harder you push the more assistance you get. I also don’t mind the louder motor. I also liked the geometry and handling - it is a bit less poppy due to the longer chainstays, but it climbs like a goat. I went back to the shop and paid the extra $400 for the Powerfly LT (longer travel and better brakes).

As I said, test ride as many bikes as you can. And good luck with your search.

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Try to test ride them if you can.

IMO - Levo is a really nice balanced ride, Brose motor is quiet and amooth engagement. The 29er wheels rol over stuff easily. Bang for your buck is not as good and components are poor value compared with other brands. (I am guessing that they thought that harder core roders would buy and upgrade). Really noce ride though.

I test rode a Merida e160 and really loced the Shimano motor, but I could not get them to drop the price much more than 10%. Nice components too, although lower spec brakes (which seems important given the extra weight of an eBike).

Trance is awesome value kit and also rides really nice - if you can get on with the motor. I test rode one (expecting to buy it) but found that the Yamaha system assistance came on really quickly and I found the small LED boost level indicator really hard to see.

I paid to hire a demo Powerfly FS and rode a local trail. I loved the Bosch motor, especially the eMTB mode, which is really intuitive- the harder you push the more assistance you get. I also don’t mind the louder motor. I also liked the geometry and handling - it is a bit less poppy due to the longer chainstays, but it climbs like a goat. I went back to the shop and paid the extra $400 for the Powerfly LT (longer travel and better brakes).

As I said, test ride as many bikes as you can. And good luck with your search.

Thanks for your reply. I test rode the Levo and was really impressed, it felt really good and the Brose motor wasn’t too loud. Unfortunately I’m from a small town and the bike shops don’t have demo models of the Giant and the Trek. They seem like really good value for money where Levo has the specialized tax. All the reviews I’ve read and watched have good and bad points for each bike.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Having had one for a year (Scott eScale with the Bosch motor) and now looking to upgrade to a Full Sus eBike I've definitely had more questions and preferences over my initial purchase.

The main research has been the motor.. not just how quiet (which doesn't really bother me) but the dealer and factory support for that motor.
eBike technology in the form that we're all buying into is new and having a brand that will support, replace, discuss repairs/issues without having bust a blood vessel is really important I think.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Here in Christchurch NZ I test rode a Focus Jam, Trek Powerfly and the Levo Comp. I'm a big heavy guy (195cm, 115kg) so other considerations for me are sizing and battery range.

The Focus was smooth and well put together, but the Shimano motor was relatively whiny, the above bar dropper remote is dumb and the 378WH battery is ride limiting.

The Trek felt very solid to ride with bottomless feel, but felt a bit sluggish and couldn't have its power levels customized.

Levo won out as the best fit, feel and look - the 29 x 2.6 tyres have a good combination of float and rollover and the Comp I got has Guide RE brakes which are excellent. I'm getting 45k+ on mixed road/off road rides with 20 minute climbs. I've zip tied on a rubber flap across the chainstay/bb gap, works really well at keeping flying muck out. Both the Giant and Trek are no doubt better deals on paper, but the Levo is a better bike for me on the trails. Good luck!

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
I've zip tied on a rubber flap across the chainstay/bb gap, works really well at keeping flying muck out. Both the Giant and Trek are no doubt better deals on paper, but the Levo is a better bike for me on the trails. Good luck!

Doesn't that really grind on you though... a bike that expensive and you are required to zip tie bits to it so that it can perform in the terrain its meant to be for?
They look lovely bikes but it would just bug me :LOL::LOL:

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
In your circumstances I would strongly consider the Levo if you have a good LBS. By the sounds of it you are not going to put any to it's limit so components are probably less critical than controlling the assistance. The Levo with Mission control and Blevo is probably best placed to tailor to your needs as they change.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
To me, the Levo looks overhyped/overpriced, and the issues with them raise the question of how much testing did Specialized do before they released it? Zip tieing flaps and putting sponges in holes for the premium price is kind of ridiculous... but maybe that's just me.
I would look into Shimano E8000 or E7000 equipped bikes too as their system is very reliable, Shimano support is good everywhere and the bikes are better value in general. With their E-Tube app, you can customize assist levels, run diagnostics and update firmware through your phone/tablet.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My knowledge of muscular dystrophy is limited, but I do know that muscle weakness is one of the symptoms. emtbs are surprisingly heavy. Heavy enough that I switched from putting the bike into the back of the car to loading it on to a bike rack on a tow bar (saves my back). The extra weight makes manhandling the bike around the garage, cleaning it, and so forth a bit more of a challenge. Then there is stuff like when you are actually riding the bike as that extra weight requires a bit more effort to move the bike around. Have you actually ridden one yet?

Like you, I did loads of research before test riding any bikes for real. That was useful, but nothing can replace the actual ride. Bikes I thought would be good turned out to be less favoured once I'd ridden them on a proper mtb surface. A bike I was only liking because of how it looked but had spec concerns turned out to be the winner for me.

How far are you likely to ride? if your rides will not be so far, then maybe you could go for one of the bikes with a smaller battery. Or maybe one with an integrated battery. These tend to weigh less, because the frame does not have to be strengthened to cope with a great big hole in it. Smaller and integrated makes them even lighter. Carbon fibre frame, lighter still. Higher spec tend to be lighter also.

But maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way around. If your problem is not muscling the bike around, but one of endurance. In which case you are likely to be in the higher boost modes sooner and for longer. In which case you may prefer to go with the larger battery options. Most emtbs have a 500Whr battery, some have less than 400, some have 600, one has 250. The Focus Jam2 and Sam2 have a 378Whr integrated battery with the option to add another 378Whr battery on to the downtube, making almost 760Whr.

This is an interesting topic, please keep us informed of your progress and eventual decision. Best wishes for your future riding! :)

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
To me, the Levo looks overhyped/overpriced, and the issues with them raise the question of how much testing did Specialized do before they released it? Zip tieing flaps and putting sponges in holes for the premium price is kind of ridiculous... but maybe that's just me.
I would look into Shimano E8000 or E7000 equipped bikes too as their system is very reliable, Shimano support is good everywhere and the bikes are better value in general. With their E-Tube app, you can customize assist levels, run diagnostics and update firmware through your phone/tablet.

Exactly this... The Spesh looks awesome.. their bikes generally do look mega but I just can't get past doing a Blue Peter job on it to be able to ride through wet mud.... and if I just had to have the bike I would want some kind of assurance that the moment Specialized update the design error that all bikes would be recalled for a free fix... because it is a design error, you are basically buying a broken bike..... flying down your favourite trail only to slam the anchors on "whoooooah guys, can we go round the puddle, I forgot my sponge" ;)

You wouldn't buy a new car that required you to tape up the windows when it rained because the seals where designed wrong would you? :)

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Not sure if you have a Norco dealership near you, but i'd put my money on a Norco Sight VLT if you were most concerned about local dealer support. The Norco Sight VLT looks like they out did Specialized in the looks department and it's got a Shimano motor.... I know both of these things are opinion but that's what i'd get if i had the money and needed local dealer support.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Doesn't that really grind on you though... a bike that expensive and you are required to zip tie bits to it so that it can perform in the terrain its meant to be for?
They look lovely bikes but it would just bug me :LOL::LOL:
Sure, I'd rather it wasn't there, but it took five minutes to do and I haven't thought about it since. If mud gets in and causes a problem it'll go back to the LBS who are excellent.

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Having had one for a year (Scott eScale with the Bosch motor) and now looking to upgrade to a Full Sus eBike I've definitely had more questions and preferences over my initial purchase.

The main research has been the motor.. not just how quiet (which doesn't really bother me) but the dealer and factory support for that motor.
eBike technology in the form that we're all buying into is new and having a brand that will support, replace, discuss repairs/issues without having bust a blood vessel is really important I think.

I couldn’t agree more, brand support is crucial and knowing if anything does go wrong with the bike you can wheel it into your LBS for warranty support

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Here in Christchurch NZ I test rode a Focus Jam, Trek Powerfly and the Levo Comp. I'm a big heavy guy (195cm, 115kg) so other considerations for me are sizing and battery range.

The Focus was smooth and well put together, but the Shimano motor was relatively whiny, the above bar dropper remote is dumb and the 378WH battery is ride limiting.

The Trek felt very solid to ride with bottomless feel, but felt a bit sluggish and couldn't have its power levels customized.

Levo won out as the best fit, feel and look - the 29 x 2.6 tyres have a good combination of float and rollover and the Comp I got has Guide RE brakes which are excellent. I'm getting 45k+ on mixed road/off road rides with 20 minute climbs. I've zip tied on a rubber flap across the chainstay/bb gap, works really well at keeping flying muck out. Both the Giant and Trek are no doubt better deals on paper, but the Levo is a better bike for me on the trails. Good luck!

Thanks mate, I grew up riding the tracks on the port hills and surrounding areas. That bottom bracket crud catcher sounds interesting but it’s a shame that on the most expensive bike that it should have to be implemented. Did you get your Levo from Chain Reaction?

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
In your circumstances I would strongly consider the Levo if you have a good LBS. By the sounds of it you are not going to put any to it's limit so components are probably less critical than controlling the assistance. The Levo with Mission control and Blevo is probably best placed to tailor to your needs as they change.

Thanks for your reply, you make a great point. I love the fact the levo can be tailored to suit individual riders through the mission control app

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Not sure if you have a Norco dealership near you, but i'd put my money on a Norco Sight VLT if you were most concerned about local dealer support. The Norco Sight VLT looks like they out did Specialized in the looks department and it's got a Shimano motor.... I know both of these things are opinion but that's what i'd get if i had the money and needed local dealer support.

Just checked out the Norco Sight, that is a hot looking bike! Good battery size too

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
My knowledge of muscular dystrophy is limited, but I do know that muscle weakness is one of the symptoms. emtbs are surprisingly heavy. Heavy enough that I switched from putting the bike into the back of the car to loading it on to a bike rack on a tow bar (saves my back). The extra weight makes manhandling the bike around the garage, cleaning it, and so forth a bit more of a challenge. Then there is stuff like when you are actually riding the bike as that extra weight requires a bit more effort to move the bike around. Have you actually ridden one yet?

Like you, I did loads of research before test riding any bikes for real. That was useful, but nothing can replace the actual ride. Bikes I thought would be good turned out to be less favoured once I'd ridden them on a proper mtb surface. A bike I was only liking because of how it looked but had spec concerns turned out to be the winner for me.

How far are you likely to ride? if your rides will not be so far, then maybe you could go for one of the bikes with a smaller battery. Or maybe one with an integrated battery. These tend to weigh less, because the frame does not have to be strengthened to cope with a great big hole in it. Smaller and integrated makes them even lighter. Carbon fibre frame, lighter still. Higher spec tend to be lighter also.

But maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way around. If your problem is not muscling the bike around, but one of endurance. In which case you are likely to be in the higher boost modes sooner and for longer. In which case you may prefer to go with the larger battery options. Most emtbs have a 500Whr battery, some have less than 400, some have 600, one has 250. The Focus Jam2 and Sam2 have a 378Whr integrated battery with the option to add another 378Whr battery on to the downtube, making almost 760Whr.

This is an interesting topic, please keep us informed of your progress and eventual decision. Best wishes for your future riding! :)

Thanks Steve. I’m losing the muscles around my legs and glutes, hamstrings quads etc. I’m still riding but don’t have any power so I’m a real plodder. I still have great bike control and can keep up with my mates downhill but as soon as we climb or ride flat SingleTrack Im getting dropped fast. My mates and wife are fantastic and never make an issue about it and always do everything they can to help but it makes me feel like crap. An emtb would put me in a level playing field again and I’d be more inclined to ride with them again instead of making excuses not to ride. For most of my life we have carried the bikes on the roof of the car but I’m guessing a decent toe ball rack is a must for a heavy ebike. I’ve ridden the levo demo and loved it but no other emtb. I went out with my brother n law who is sponsored by specialized and couldn’t believe how much more fun I had not having to worry about being the last up the hill etc. I guess what I’m wondering is, is the Levo the best option as I don’t have the option of test riding other brands apart from around the car park

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
If it's about climbing assistance then I think you're almost certainly looking at a Brose motor, if possible. As much as I like how my Shimano motor (70NM/300% assist) feels, it just doesn't have the climbing power of either the Yamaha (80NM/360% assist) or Brose (90NM/410% assist). The Brose also has the advantage of the least resistance when over the 25kmh limit of assistance. And you have the option of a larger battery capacity in the higher end models. Maybe a Giant is worth a try if you want more bang for your buck.

Yes, you are paying more for the components in comparison to some others for a Levo but the Brose motor will give you more help and keep you riding longer than the others if climbing assistance is what you need. And the Levo is a great bike to ride. Needs some help with crud ingress but few complaints about how the bike rides.

And although I didn't want to spend the money on a Thule e-bike carrier I'm glad I did now I have it. I especially like that I can clean my bike while it's on the rack when I get home.

Gordon

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Thanks mate, I grew up riding the tracks on the port hills and surrounding areas. That bottom bracket crud catcher sounds interesting but it’s a shame that on the most expensive bike that it should have to be implemented. Did you get your Levo from Chain Reaction?
No worries. Yes I did get the bike from Chain Reaction, great service and back up. I just see the mudflap addition as a bit of insurance, and the fact is no stock bike is going to be perfect in every respect for every rider - I've changed the bars, stem, grips, saddle as well.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The motor powers can be slightly misleading in how you interpret them and how also on how you ride. First thing is that there is not weak motor out there, they will all power you up hills.

However where you will notice the power differences (and this is just my experience/opinion) is if you are just cruising up a steep hill, and wanting the motor to do max effort, with you minimum.

So take my father in law, who is in his 70's loves going out on the bike, but given we live in the Surrey Hills finds a normal bike a bit much now with all the hills. He has a Bosch motored bike, and what he wants from it is to give him the maximum assistance, spinning a low cadence, with him only putting in the effort he is capable of, and the Bosch is brilliant for this, you really can just stick it in turbo, and let the torque, and how the Bosch motor delivers it almost instantly, do the work.

Now me on the other hand, once in a while at the end of a long ride I might want to just cruise up a hill, or if lapping local super short off piste tracks, but mostly I want to power up the climbs with the motor acting like its supporting me at the higher cadences etc I like to push, I want it to feel like I am still putting the effort in, and getting the feedback I want like it was a normal bike, and that's the reason I like the Shimano motor, as in reality I am not very often laying down maximum torque, maybe just in small bursts, but for me it feels natural when riding, with the assistance in the background rather than being front and centre.

Thats why its important to try out as many as you can, because different rider want different things form Emtb's, some want the ride to be as close as possible to a normal bike, and others want maximum assitance most of the time.

So whilst on a technical/newness level the Brose and Shimano are probably the most cutting edge, actually the Yamaha and Bosch may be better suited to some riders, because they have more instant shove, whereas the Brose and Shimano are perhaps more natural feeling.

I actually think the Yamaha and Bosch are the best climbing motors for nailing it up fire roads etc, because of how they deliver their power, whereas for technical climbing the Brose and Shimano probably have the edge due to how there power delivery is more subtle.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@R120 I agree!
I tried Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano and Brose, But I found the Shimano the most natural. It was on the first bike I rode that I just enjoyed without having to think about what mode I was in and without too much power skidding out my rear wheel and no pulsing under my foot either. :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Also, as with any other bike, buy the right bike for you riding. I am in the camp where you should narrow down the bike choice based off the riding you like to do, and the geometry that suits you, then get into the nitty gritty over the motors and specs.

Part of the problem with EBikes, is that any decent one will feel awesome when you first try it, and put a big smile on your face, so sometimes in can be hard to calm down and look at things rationally - things that are fundamentally flawed in a bikes design or fit for you are going to be a real PITA once the novelty of the assistance has worn off.

Things like can you get a long dropper post to fit right for you in the frame size you want, general bike fit, and ability to remove the battery easily if you cant charge the bike where you store it are the day to day important aspects that are as important as the motor choice.

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
The motor powers can be slightly misleading in how you interpret them and how also on how you ride. First thing is that there is not weak motor out there, they will all power you up hills.

However where you will notice the power differences (and this is just my experience/opinion) is if you are just cruising up a steep hill, and wanting the motor to do max effort, with you minimum.

So take my father in law, who is in his 70's loves going out on the bike, but given we live in the Surrey Hills finds a normal bike a bit much now with all the hills. He has a Bosch motored bike, and what he wants from it is to give him the maximum assistance, spinning a low cadence, with him only putting in the effort he is capable of, and the Bosch is brilliant for this, you really can just stick it in turbo, and let the torque, and how the Bosch motor delivers it almost instantly, do the work.

Now me on the other hand, once in a while at the end of a long ride I might want to just cruise up a hill, or if lapping local super short off piste tracks, but mostly I want to power up the climbs with the motor acting like its supporting me at the higher cadences etc I like to push, I want it to feel like I am still putting the effort in, and getting the feedback I want like it was a normal bike, and that's the reason I like the Shimano motor, as in reality I am not very often laying down maximum torque, maybe just in small bursts, but for me it feels natural when riding, with the assistance in the background rather than being front and centre.

Thats why its important to try out as many as you can, because different rider want different things form Emtb's, some want the ride to be as close as possible to a normal bike, and others want maximum assitance most of the time.

So whilst on a technical/newness level the Brose and Shimano are probably the most cutting edge, actually the Yamaha and Bosch may be better suited to some riders, because they have more instant shove, whereas the Brose and Shimano are perhaps more natural feeling.

I actually think the Yamaha and Bosch are the best climbing motors for nailing it up fire roads etc, because of how they deliver their power, whereas for technical climbing the Brose and Shimano probably have the edge due to how there power delivery is more subtle.

Cheers Mate, I really appreciate the advice. There's so much info to take in but if I'm being honest this is my favourite part of buying a new bike...the research!

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Bottom line, early days in E bike technology. Friend of mine just broke a tooth off a gear in his levo motor in a freakish dip in the trail that threw off his coordination in pedaling. Motor replaced within only one week of downtime by local bike shop without any questions asked. These bikes have the potential to get very expensive without good support from the manufacturers.
If you have been researching E bikes in the forums for sometime you must have come across people who have had nightmares trying to get their broken motor replaced under warranty or even just diagnosed as to what is wrong with it by the local bike shop. To me good support is absolutely most important and that's why I got the levo. Although I have not ridden them I'm pretty certain I would love other brands of the bikes including the Vitus, Trek, Focus and Merida, but could not get decent support for them if I ran into trouble.
Another consideration is that you really want the power to come on very subtley if you have proximal muscle weakness because otherwise it can shoot your very top-heavy bike right off the trail without the ability to control it when starting up again after a pause or fall. Brose and Shimano are supposedly best in this.
Good luck and I congratulate you on being physically proactive with a disabling condition.

Pat2203

Sep 15, 2018
Guisborough
Hi all, new member here looking to purchase my first ebike. I’ve been mtbing since I was 13 (even before suspension, I’m now 43) but unfortunately I have adult on set muscular dystrophy and my ability to ride is slowly being taken away from me. An emtb would keep me going for a few more years. I’ve been doing loads of research and have narrowed it down to three bikes, Specialized levo, trance e 1 and a trek powerfly 7. My problem is that the more research I do the more confused I become and the harder my decision is becoming! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Hi
I’m 46 had a triple heart bypass in August and just bought a Mondraker e crusher carbon and loving it

Welshrobinireland

Patreon
Mar 24, 2018
Ireland
Cant disagree with anything everyone has said above. All I can add is maybe to really consider the weight of some of the bikes. eg my e genius 710 is 27 kg. Not really a problem whilst riding but is when manhandling at slower speeds. Also consider what happens after the speed limiter kicks in. Bosch imo is pretty bad. I know if your riding in the right places then this shouldn't be an issue but for you it might be. I believe the brose is about the best at de coupling at least for the moment until the fazua gets tested. Vitus is probably the best bang for your buck and also has the fab shimano motor. Best of luck looking. Where you living? I'm sure you'd find people living in your area either on here or Facebook who'd be more than happy to give you a spin on their bikes.

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
So I tested the Giant Trance E today and I loved it. I was thinking I’d need a Large (187cm) but it felt to cramped so luckily there was a customers XL in the shop and that felt almost spot on. I’d want a slightly longer stem though but that’s an easy fix.
It rode really well and the motor I thought (with my limited knowledge) was great. Much quieter than I had imagined
Decisions!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles