Looking at a Van later ! HELP

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I’m looking at a LWB high roof Ford transit connect later ( 2002 )
Will my large 2019 Levo stand upright in it and will the van be long enough ?
This is the only purpose for the van as I don’t want to fit a towbar on my car

I stupidly forgot to measure the bike length and height before I went to work eArlier

Thanks

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
Oh hold on just read Connect then - missed that the first time! In which case I can't be any help sorry

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'd have thought you could fit at least 4 levos standing up in the back of a LWB connect without too much trouble.
unless you run sky high bars (in which case just turn them and lean the bike against the side slightly

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
64DE4E4F-F2DC-46B2-A6BC-E664D82AF566.jpeg

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I can't fit my XL levo with wheels on in a vw caddy, which is about the same size so I'm not sure.

I have a bipper and I just take the front wheel off and it'll fit upright, but has to go in diagonally to fit. It's a perfect fit actually as wheel then leans on bike and it stays upright without any fork holding gadgets.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If tis a LWB it should fit diagonally, and most likely straight in - I can fit my Vitus in the current generation LWB variants of the transit connect and VW Caddy

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Get a fork mount. Not only does that reduce the length of the bike it is also the most secure way to fix it in the van

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Any van I have had I secure the bike with two bungee cords at each end of the bike, round the load hooks.

Last edited:

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I bought it , think it will be just a bit short but I think a fork mount if I carry two bikes will be the answer , if just one it might fit slightly on the diagonal, I’ll collect it sometime over the week end and then update with pictures

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I bought it , think it will be just a bit short but I think a fork mount if I carry two bikes will be the answer , if just one it might fit slightly on the diagonal, I’ll collect it sometime over the week end and then update with pictures
I use the 'bikeinside' system and can highly recommend it, buts it's a bit expensive at about 200 quid.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't think you will have a problem fitting multiple bikes, you just have to turn the handlebars.

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
So , Van Update ?
Large levo fits , stood up perfectly at a very slight diagonal, rear wheel at front seat belt anchor point , Mates Norco Aurum other side in same position , both bikes stand , don’t clash , perfect ?
Now for lighting , inverter and stuff for charging .

Overall a perfect sized bike transport ...

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Was going to buy an SUV as a primary vehicle but now want to carry our ebikes inside vs out in the elements and for eveyone to see...! Anybody using a midsize SUV with 2 large Turbo Levo sized eMTBs? I'm also looking at a Mk4 Caddy maxi which might be able to transport up to 3 riders and bikes (front tires removed) with 2 of the second row seats as well as the third row removed. Tourneo Connect 7 is also on the radar but would really prefer an SUV for every day use if I could get 2 bikes and gear in. Thoughts?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Everything that is not a van is a compromise something you only realize when you finally stop looking at overgrown cars. 2 people 2 bikes riding kit change of clothes, some simple self catering kit etc etc. Yesterday I did a trip to the Quantocks with my wife in my T5. All that kit loaded and I still had most of windsurf kit in the van as well. Still room for my wife to get changed in the van

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I hear what your saying...I actually have a T-3 Westfalia Hightop that I need to restore and love the space and versatility it provides. But it suffers as an everyday car and the layout is not good for storing bikes inside...and no air conditioning makes summer travel less and less fun as we get older.

I agree the Caddy might just be a better all-arounder but i plan to keep the Westy for camping duties and figured an SUV would give a little more comfort for the long journeys.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would rather do a 300 mile round trip in my T5 than most cars....my BMW 5 Series being an exception. Vans have come a long way since the T3 which is pretty raw by modern day standards.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
Its just the A/C thing in the T3 really...other than that it is very comfortable, like a big land yacht. Well there is the lack of power too. 70 horses of raw turbo diesel power keeps you creeping in the truck lane up anything that resembles a hill! That is not comfortable......

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles