Longterm review of the Maxxis Assegai (it's good, but not all good)

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
After a few months of testing variations of the 27.5 Maxxis Assegai on my Trance, I can say it's the best piece of rubber on the market! BUT... not a 10/10...

I run the Assegai in the front in the lighter EXO casing with the "intermediate to soft" Maxx Terra compound, on the tail end I've paired the bulletproof DH casing with the ultra-soft Maxx Gripp option. I've ridden on a wide range of surfaces; muck, rock, roots, road etc on Grade 5 descents through to mellow walking paths.

First impression:
After a delightful and lever-free installation, the first thing that struck me about the Assegai wasn't the grip but the DRAG! A few 100 meters into my first climb I stopped and checked if they were leaking or lost pressure...nope, still sitting on 20PSI front/rear which served me well on my DHF/DHR setup previously. I normally sit in eco mode (+75% assist) for most of my riding but I went to eco+ (+150%) once my lungs and legs started to protest. Even rolling on flowy tracks I noticed the bike doesn't maintain speed when coasting near as well as the DHF/DHR combo. Aggressive turning and maneuvering were also toxic to momentum so I had really focus on keeping my ride as smooth as possible.

The annoyance caused by the heavy drag vapourised once the bike was facing downhill (the steeper the better) and suddenly everything makes sense. The grip is unreal! The bike sticks like glue to any surface at any speed. Where my previous setup would start to skid, the Assegai held it's line even under hard cornering and off-cambers. The side knobs are soft as butter on the Maxx Gripp and act like little rock climber fingers that hold on to the smallest details on the track, there's no danger of dropping into ruts or sliding unexpectantly off roots and rocks. I noticed I struggled to intentionally skid into tight corners by locking up the rear end, which I shouldn't be doing anyway so not a real concern for me!

Long term experiences:
After a few months on the tires, I've slowly been upping the PSI to get more rolling efficiency and this has been a good move. Currently sitting at 30 Front, 35 rear and that feels about right for my 110kg frame. The soft rubber compensates well to recover any grip lost due to higher pressures. My rear tire is getting close to the end of its life with center knobs 70% worn and the side knobs starting to break away and split, not what I expect from a tire that's only about 3 months / 500km old. I do have another DH casing- Maxx Gripp that I bought a few weeks ago that I'm having some remorse buying preemptively. In hindsight, I would have gone for an EXO+ Maxx Terra in the rear to reduce the rolling resistance and wear.

Summary: The only option for a DH focused rider but not a tire I'd recommend for long trail rides or 'flat' terrain. Opt for the EXO or EXO+ with the Maxx Terra and run at higher pressures. It's leaps better than the DHF as a front tire but in the rear, it's pretty even between the DHR and Assegai for more aggressive riding in mind.

Pros:
  • Easy install
  • Ultra grippy on mixed surfaces
  • Multiple casing and compound options
  • Works front and/or rear
  • Confidence-inspiring - predictable
  • Holds bead - no burps
Cons:
  • Drags like an anchor on the softer compounds and lower pressures
  • Faster wearing
  • Battery hungry
  • Only available in the 2.5' wide option
  • DH casing is very heavy, EXO or EXO+ are more sensible

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's not just the casing causing the drag. It's mainly the compound. Try a dual compound on the back. Those roll way faster and are a far better choice for a rear brake happy rider.

I'd love to hear the logic of running a Softer compound lower pressure rear tyre.
I can only guess climbing is your thing and you're struggling to weight the rear tyre enough.?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
It's not just the casing causing the drag. It's mainly the compound. Try a dual compound on the back. Those roll way faster and are a far better choice for a rear brake happy rider.

Agreed.

Just run one up front and something better rolling in the back like everyone else using the Assegai on a trail bike. A soft compound on the rear of a trail bike is like dragging a chain.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
sorry.. what?
Why?

Love back brake much?
Sorry I meant 35 rear, 30 front (have amended)
I just get better performance from higher pressures, the bike feels more quick, precise and lively. Admittedly, it's a rougher ride at lower speeds but once you start charging, it works perfectly. Keep in mind I'm about 115-120KG too

Yeah, I love the back brake!!...and the front!! but locking up the rear is safer than the front ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah... got ya.

I also run pretty high pressures (32f and 40psi rear) I'm 30kg or so lighter. I just like a fast rolling firm poppy set up. And really don't brake all that much at all TBH

Last edited:

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
This is my first winter mountain biking, and have zero to reference for experience, but I'm finding the assegai not up to it around my farm in the winter (perhaps nothing will be). The tire is plugging up with mud almost immediately, and stays that way pretty much until I hit my grass track to finish off the ride.

I'm gonna try a shorty or a hillbilly next?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
It’s a shame they don’t do the maxx terra in dd casing,love the tyres on my sx but Maxx grip dd on the rear and exo plus Maxx terra on the front is just wrong ?thinking of a Michelin e wild rear then put my maxx grip dd on the front?but TBH I’ve not found my maxx terra front wanting anymore grip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles