LOCTITE differences

beerglass

Jan 18, 2020
Bristol
Just got a new Levo Comp 2020 and had 27.5" wheels fitted. I'am riding flat pedals and had loads of pedal strikes on first ride, so thinking I might need to change flip chip on rear shock.

I'm going to the fork upgraded to 160 this week which might help and might right clip pedals which have smaller platforms but worse case might need to adjust flip chip which will change the angle to 66

Does this make much difference to the ride ?

In the manual it's recommending to use LOCTITE blue 242, LOCTITE blue 243 is loads cheaper and better. What has everyone else used ? Red ?

Thanks

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Use 243. From Henkel website:

Loctite 243 threadlocker is an upgraded version of Loctite 242, and is more of a general-purpose member of our “blue crew.” It is designed to have improved oil tolerance with surface-insensitive properties (plated fasteners no longer require primer), combined with the same overall benefits of the original Blue Threadlocker 242. Projects that would need this type of application include rocker studs, oil pans, disc brake calipers, pulley assemblies and many more.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
242 is a Medium strength compound as is 243. However they work with different metals to a better or lesser level.
242 has a higher strength for Steel (100%), then Zinc plated, then Brass, then Stainless (about30%)
243 is 100% for Steel then Zinc Organic, Brass, Zinc plated and Stainless - however Stainless is about 50% strength compared to 242 so a better option for Stainless.

Note that 242 is NOT recommenced for organic Zinc. Not sure of the diferences but I always use 243 for anthing zinc plated.
Again, with the Red ones there are many versions with 222 (more purple colour) being Low strength but 263 is more of a permanent stud locking compound.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Defintely use a medium strength thread locker...so for Loctite that is Blue. As far as I can see Loctite no longer list 242 in their product range. 243 is what you need for any application on the bike. Make sure any threads are clean before applying it and be aware it takes 24 hours to fully set.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles