Lights for my Turbo Levo - Lupine SL Brose Installation

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Bike at LBS for 36T chainring a Checkup on the dropper post, and the lupine light install. Heard back from store. The light won’t come on when they turn it on. They have a call into specialized tomorrow. They think it’s firmware issue, but bike is new and everything was up to date as far as I knew. Maybe they used the wrong dummy plug? Isn’t one the fake channel? I don’t know am just speculating. Tori would know right?

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Bike at LBS for 36T chainring a Checkup on the dropper post, and the lupine light install. Heard back from store. The light won’t come on when they turn it on. They have a call into specialized tomorrow. They think it’s firmware issue, but bike is new and everything was up to date as far as I knew. Maybe they used the wrong dummy plug? Isn’t one the fake channel? I don’t know am just speculating. Tori would know right?
Make sure you have the latest motor and battery firmware; the previous versions didn't allow the light to function.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I should. Bike is 2 weeks old 2018 expert. It’s at the lbs and they are waiting a call from specialized. Just surprised to hear the light didn’t come on at all.

LeonLevo

Jul 31, 2018
Belgium
I should. Bike is 2 weeks old 2018 expert. It’s at the lbs and they are waiting a call from specialized. Just surprised to hear the light didn’t come on at all.

Had the same issue: ask them the exact version numbers of the battery and motor and check here that they are the ones needed to activate the light-output. My lbs also kept insisting it was on the latest firmware, but they had just not updated their laptop with the latest software and firmwares from Specialized.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Had the same issue: ask them the exact version numbers of the battery and motor and check here that they are the ones needed to activate the light-output. My lbs also kept insisting it was on the latest firmware, but they had just not updated their laptop with the latest software and firmwares from Specialized.
You don't need the bike shop to check the firmware - you can do it on the Mission Control application. Take a screenshot and post it here and I'll let you know; if you're unsure how to interpret it.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I don't have it now. LBS has it, and told me they are waiting for specialized to call them back. I will be going over in another 8hrs or so to go pick up and will update you on what outcome was. Lets see. :unsure:

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Well thanks to Tori and everyone else who chimed in. I picked up the bike. Yup it wasn’t the latest firmware in there after all. They called specialized and were told it needed updating. You’d think a new bike would come with the latest update. Anyway battery is now 10.23.1 and motor 5.4.0 and the light comes on when I turn it on. I did notice the bulb housing gets hot fast too. Not sure what effect it has on range but it looks like it’s part of the bike. Very nice.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
1537070189283.jpeg

Urge!!! Don’t know if this happened at lbs when they changed the chainring or in my first test ride tonight. I noticed rough down shifts even when I stop pedaling and shift.

Also deristricted it ( BLEvo ???) and went up to 28 mph and yummmy! ?. 15 mins ride on paved relatively flat trail just to see how it feels. I am using 20psi in the tires and lbs also set up tubeless and bike eats up the surface imperfections like a champ. You simply feel small taping telegraphed to your arms but suspension eats everything up so your body doesn’t feel it at all. Intentionally went over raised manholes covers and rutted pitted potholed sections and a road repair area where the pavement been ripped up. It’s smooth as butter except for the crap shifting. Am not all that experienced rider but I think I could feel something like grating in the chain so I inspected it afterwards and see this stretched link (see arrow). Am not sure what I should do as I had a planned group ride in the morning before stores open. But illl go by bike store later see what they suggest. I have a feeling it’s related to going to the 36T anyway. The 36T is a welcome improvement in my pedaling. It’s still no road bike, but it’s a lot better than before. Off-road it won’t matter I go slow anyway, it’s these road sections that I wanted to get a bit more speed on.

Anyone with suggestions / advice please welcome to reply, love the Levo!

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Before I forget, I rode at night to see how lupine works. This is a worthwhile upgrade imo. Light output is very nice and spreads in front of you and covers the trail nicely. It also doesn’t glare into other riders or pedestrians walking on the shared trail but gives nice coverage ahead even at 25 mph which is quite reasonable. Best bike light I have used so far. I still can’t tell if it really eats that much into my range though as this was a short test.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
View attachment 5143
Urge!!! Don’t know if this happened at lbs when they changed the chainring or in my first test ride tonight. I noticed rough down shifts even when I stop pedaling and shift.

Also deristricted it ( BLEvo ???) and went up to 28 mph and yummmy! ?. 15 mins ride on paved relatively flat trail just to see how it feels. I am using 20psi in the tires and lbs also set up tubeless and bike eats up the surface imperfections like a champ. You simply feel small taping telegraphed to your arms but suspension eats everything up so your body doesn’t feel it at all. Intentionally went over raised manholes covers and rutted pitted potholed sections and a road repair area where the pavement been ripped up. It’s smooth as butter except for the crap shifting. Am not all that experienced rider but I think I could feel something like grating in the chain so I inspected it afterwards and see this stretched link (see arrow). Am not sure what I should do as I had a planned group ride in the morning before stores open. But illl go by bike store later see what they suggest. I have a feeling it’s related to going to the 36T anyway. The 36T is a welcome improvement in my pedaling. It’s still no road bike, but it’s a lot better than before. Off-road it won’t matter I go slow anyway, it’s these road sections that I wanted to get a bit more speed on.

Anyone with suggestions / advice please welcome to reply, love the Levo!
That's your chain masterlink - it looks fine to me. You will need to adjust your B tension screw; your LBS would have likely used the same stock chain when they did the 36T change - which is fine - but you need to remove the [slighly] increased chain tension with the mech B tension screw to get back to crisp shifting.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Tori, couldn’t thank you enough. You are really helping us clueless noobs a lot. Now if I may ask why the master link looks like that? And by the way I had to google and then watch video of what you said and will do it in the morning before the ride. Infact thanks for easing my anxiety and saving me a trip to the LBS. it’s a 30 min drive for me and I was already contemplating if or not I should go to any other bike store even though they don’t deal with ebike they’d be able to take care of it.

Now I just downloaded the much improved mission control that shows motor details that the old one didn’t. I have a question about derestricting with blevo, so I set user setting 1 with 75 km/h as the speed. Then accepted the warning and proceeded to ride my now unrestricted bike. That went ok. Now I connected the new mission control and noticed it’s showing wheel size, but doesn’t show us it changed? If that’s the case the odometer will be way way off. This is dilemma as I’d like an accurate odometer regardless.it seems like the speed indicator in belevo was actually spot on, but if it will now be way off in the motor itself and will read wrong then I think I need to set Uncorked user setting in blevo and normal so I can use the uncorked for road sections but go back to normal for my trail rides. That was interesting

FinDoc

Sep 23, 2018
Finland
Hi,

I have a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp 2019 (New Brose Mag S motor) with Lezyne's Macro Drive 1000 led light. Lezyne's manual shows that there is an automatic daytime dimming mode (this was the reason why bought the Lezyne) but it does not work. The light is always on when the bike's motor is switched on. Do you guys have any solution to switch off the light when the bike motor is turned on?

The light itself is fantastic and it is not a big problem that it is on always during winter time here in Finland but for the summer I have to find some solution to switch off the light. I have asked a solution to this problem from Lezyne and Specialized. Lezyne's answered that I have to ask it from Specialized and Specialized has not answered yet.

Slide1.png

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Hi,

I have a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp 2019 (New Brose Mag S motor) with Lezyne's Macro Drive 1000 led light. Lezyne's manual shows that there is an automatic daytime dimming mode (this was the reason why bought the Lezyne) but it does not work. The light is always on when the bike's motor is switched on. Do you guys have any solution to switch off the light when the bike motor is turned on?

The light itself is fantastic and it is not a big problem that it is on always during winter time here in Finland but for the summer I have to find some solution to switch off the light. I have asked a solution to this problem from Lezyne and Specialized. Lezyne's answered that I have to ask it from Specialized and Specialized has not answered yet.

View attachment 9503

Hi @FinDoc - apologies, I don't know the answer to your question but have another (question) for you... Looking at the light you refer to on Google, it talks about the connection to Bosch, Shimano and Yamaha but doesn't mention Brose. Am I right in assuming they make a cable for the Brose motor?

FinDoc

Sep 23, 2018
Finland
Hi @Stumpy, I ordered Lupine's lightning cable for Brose and attached it to light. This combination works well. The only problem is that I can't switch off the light when the bike is on. Today I got an answer from Specialized and they told that It’s not possible to switch off a lightning port in the firmware of the bike yet. Maybe I should buy a Lupine or Supernova...

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Hi @Stumpy, I ordered Lupine's lightning cable for Brose and attached it to light. This combination works well. The only problem is that I can't switch off the light when the bike is on. Today I got an answer from Specialized and they told that It’s not possible to switch off a lightning port in the firmware of the bike yet. Maybe I should buy a Lupine or Supernova...

Thanks.

I’ve got the Lupine and the auto “day light running” / full beam mode works excellently and therefore I choose to leave mine in in that setting all the time.

However, as I’m sure you know, the light also has a button to select the mode I use, a flashing version of the same, full beam permanently or off.

The only downside is it’s ‘only’ 600 lumens but I find this enough to light up the trail, although in the pitch dark I use a helmet torch too as I like to see what I’m looking at as well as where the bike is going.

Good luck with whatever you decide on

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Thanks.

I’ve got the Lupine and the auto “day light running” / full beam mode works excellently and therefore I choose to leave mine in in that setting all the time.

However, as I’m sure you know, the light also has a button to select the mode I use, a flashing version of the same, full beam permanently or off.

The only downside is it’s ‘only’ 600 lumens but I find this enough to light up the trail, although in the pitch dark I use a helmet torch too as I like to see what I’m looking at as well as where the bike is going.

Good luck with whatever you decide on
I have exact same solution with a handle bar mounted spot light that I can aim a little high if needed. It works very well. It comes on when necessary and off when not and I run it in daylight running mode, but in bright sunlight it completely goes off. I have only occasionally used the extra light in pitch darkness.

Aeronard

Jan 10, 2019
Norway
After comparing the current Lupine SL S for Brose, which has 700 lumens on a 6 V connection, against the engine specs from Brose for the Mag S, I found that to maximise the amount of light on my Levo 2019, I could make use of the Lupine SL S for Bosch Purion, which has 900 lm on a 12 V connection.
Mag S: 12V / 24W, 2A max.

Additionally, the Purion kit comes with a 31.8 mm clamp which fits the Levo handlebar perfectly.
For wiring, I used the Supernova Brose Connection Cable for Front Lights, which was just the right length.

The Lupine SL comes with a button that allows me to turn the light off completely, but for the daily winter commute, I´ll just leave it at automatic.

Still looking for a rear light with an integrated switch.. using a standalone battery powered light for now.

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
After comparing the current Lupine SL S for Brose, which has 700 lumens on a 6 V connection, against the engine specs from Brose for the Mag S, I found that to maximise the amount of light on my Levo 2019, I could make use of the Lupine SL S for Bosch Purion, which has 900 lm on a 12 V connection.

Additionally, the Purion kit comes with a 31.8 mm clamp which fits the Levo handlebar perfectly.
For wiring, I used the Supernova Brose Connection Cable for Front Lights, which was just the right length.

The Lupine SL comes with a button that allows me to turn the light off completely, but for the daily winter commute, I´ll just leave it at automatic.

Still looking for a rear light with an integrated switch.. using a standalone battery powered light for now.
Why not use the SL F, on the picture its a 2019 Levo S-Works, and accepts 6-12V, 900-1300lm.

Last edited:

Aeronard

Jan 10, 2019
Norway
The SL F was not available, though I considered it. It costs an additional 75 eur retail, and I would not be using the High Beam. For my use, the light output would be the same, 900 lumens for the low beam. I found my SL S on sale for about 225 eur, which made the decisions to go ahead with the "previous" version easier as well.

Aeronard

Jan 10, 2019
Norway

So, I thought I'd come up with a solution for a rear light for the Levo.
Bought the Light & Motion Tuck, which should work in the 6 - 18 V range AND has an integrated switch to turn it on/off.
Acquired a Brose connection cable for rear light from Supernova.
Took off the crank arm, unscrewed the bolts for the motor cover, pulled the blind plug for the rear light connector... and discovered that it needs 3 sprongs on the plug of the connection cable.
The cable I bought only has 2, and a different layout on connector head.
First attached photo, the connector on the motor.
BroseConnectionUpClose.JPG
Second photo: the connector on the connection cable.
RearLightConnector.JPG

Also, there are small nubs on the outside of the connector on the cable, that needs to mount into the grooves on the motor connector, seen at 11:00 and 5:00 on the top photo.
Has anyone fitted a rear light to the 2019 and know where I can get the correct connection cable ?
@Specialized Rider Care , any input?

Last edited:

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
So, I thought I'd come up with a solution for a rear light for the Levo.
Bought the Light & Motion Tuck, which should work in the 6 - 18 V range AND has an integrated switch to turn it on/off.
Acquired a Brose connection cable for rear light from Supernova.
Took off the crank arm, unscrewed the bolts for the motor cover, pulled the blind plug for the rear light connector... and discovered that it needs 3 sprongs on the plug of the connection cable.
The cable I bought only has 2, and a different layout on connector head.
First attached photo, the connector on the motor.
View attachment 9955
Second photo: the connector on the connection cable.
View attachment 9956

Also, there are small nubs on the outside of the connector on the cable, that needs to mount into the grooves on the motor connector, seen at 11:00 and 5:00 on the top photo.
Has anyone fitted a rear light to the 2019 and know where I can get the correct connection cable ?
@Specialized Rider Care , any input?

I'd like to know this too

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Turbo Levo 2018.
I bought one of these for £9.
I whipped off the NDS crank and motor cover, and after removing the blank, plugged it into the forward of the 2 light power plugs on the Brose motor assembly.
I joined the bare wires using a terminal connector to the spare lead from an old Solarstorm 8.4v battery, routed via the internal cable grommets by the head tube.
A quick test with my trusty original “Magicshine Light” revealed success (!) followed by a quick reassembly.
No more batteries velcroed to the bike for me!
The actual cast of light looks to be identical to when powered by the battery, although the LED indicator built into the rubber button on the back of the Magicshine shows red, not green. I guess this is down to the 5V supply, rather than the initial 8.4V of the Solarstorm/Magicshine packs.
A lot cheaper than a Lupine set up.

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
im thinking about getting a Lupine for my 2019 Levo, it ticks all the boxes as far as i know, no external, or internal battery, a remote, good quality light, aesthetics, integration.
any idea of the impact on battery life ? (even that is a quality, at least i don't have to worry about who will die first, motor or light :)

Aeronard

Jan 10, 2019
Norway
Asked Supernova and this is their reply:
"Unfortunately Brose changed its light ports for 2019.
The cables we sell are compatible for all Brose engines up to model year 2018.
We don´t have any cables yet for the latest version of Broses engines."
I have sent a query to Specialized as well.

igteam

Feb 26, 2019
Sofia
Hello,
does anybody know how many Volts/Amps are on Turbo Levo 2018 light jacks?

Update: I tried to measure it using multimeter but both ports (head and rear light) did not have any power, any idea why (the battery was on)?

Last edited:

igteam

Feb 26, 2019
Sofia
I suspect that the light ports are disabled by the software. Does anyone know is it possible to enable it by the diagnostics app?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles