Lights for my Turbo Levo - Lupine SL Brose Installation

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
My light kit showed up this week; and I fitted it this afternoon. I've made a short video to hopefully assist anyone wanting to go down the same path:

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 15.59.35.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
@Churchill That's overkill. I LOVE IT. You can also walk with a standalone and use it as a classic torchlight. Pretty useful.

Looking real good @Tori, suits your bike nicely. Hope 600Lumens are enough! I love riding by night in the wood all alone. I'm always a bit scared and it's fun.

There's a section where I need to get off my bike (because I suck) and that's the worse feeling ever. I love it! :D

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Thanks, great stuff Tori, never knew that could be done! Will now be looking into doing the same on my Levo. (y)

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
There is no on/off switch for the light? Interested to hear how well automatic function works; is the light totally off daytime? because in Finland we don't have dark in the summertime at all. It's the midnight sun. :giggle: Daytime almost 24/7.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
There is no on/off switch for the light? Interested to hear how well automatic function works; is the light totally off daytime? because in Finland we don't have dark in the summertime at all. It's the midnight sun. :giggle: Daytime almost 24/7.

Here is the PDF manual instructions : https://www.lupine.de/files/manuals/sl_s_bosch_purion_web-2.pdf

There is a switch, located on the bottom of the unit. It's possible to turn it completely off, or otherwise on Auto, Daytime Running, or Night mode.

The Auto works really well, outside it switches to daytime running, and if I put it in a dark room, it goes to night mode.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Really cool, wanted to order one, but was a little shocked when I saw the price.... 265€ for a light? And thats even without the cable:cry:
d
Yes, they aren't cheap. But, it costs a similar amount for a lot of aftermarket parts for bikes . . . and I have seen lights that cost a hell of a lot more. The light is quality though, I think it's money well spent. The auto feature works brilliantly and the light spread and effectiveness is spot on.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
On the handlebar remote there is no light switch?
Nah, the light turns on into 'auto' mode when you fire up the Levo - there is also a switch underneath the light, which you can use to toggle it off (completely) or to off or auto or night mode.

cfsmale

Jul 3, 2018
Buckie
hey Tori, have you had a chance to use the lights on a night ride yet? i agree that although they are expensive, people often overlook a high quality/pricey light kit, but think nothing of spending £££'s on other upgrade parts

tempted to order for myself

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
That's handy, didn't know about that. If it works OK with 2018 Levo, good to know there is a wireless option for quick replacement in the event the stock wired one dies, in a crash or otherwise!

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I’m going to try use the light output on the motor to put power to a USB to keep the phone battery topped up.
will reguire a few electronic bit to drop the 6volts to 5v for the USB, but it’s certainly doable.

Looking forward to hearing more on this! My problem is the crap battery life on my GoPro..

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Looking forward to hearing more on this! My problem is the crap battery life on my GoPro..
I just got to get around to doing it. I can’t find the right plug, so will have to buy the plug and lead as used by Tori on her light install. A voltage regulator and a few capacitors to keep it stable will give 5v to feed the USB socket. Should be simple enough.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Here's more info - the symbol does look like a light switch but sadly not (at least by default)
Interesting, I really thought it was a light!

A voltage regulator and a few capacitors to keep it stable will give 5v to feed the USB socket. Should be simple enough.
A typical 7805 need more than 1V difference to work.

Has anyone tried a different Brose display on à Levo? Something like this has a light switch and a USB output.
bmz-sportive-display.jpg

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia

Has anyone tried a different Brose display on à Levo? Something like this has a light switch and a USB output.
bmz-sportive-display.jpg
Definitely a good idea. Love to hear if anyone has successfully installed and tested something like this BMZ display.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

bmz-sportive-display.jpg

Where can I buy one of these switches?

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Where can I buy one of these switches?
I would ask your shop first. A possibility: Display Bloks Sportive / CSI - Pro-Cycling-Golla

But it's more than just a "switch", it's a control unit connected to the CAN bus of the motor.

I would think that for bikes that already have the handlebar control it's simply plug-n-play. For previous versions maybe a software update of the motor is necessary?

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I would ask your shop first. A possibility: Display Bloks Sportive / CSI - Pro-Cycling-Golla

But it's more than just a "switch", it's a control unit connected to the CAN bus of the motor.

I would think that for bikes that already have the handlebar control it's simply plug-n-play. For previous versions maybe a software update of the motor is necessary?

thanks for the link and info (y) - now I've seen it (and the price) I'm not as excited, especially as the assumed USB port is actually an on/off switch...

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
thanks for the link and info (y) - now I've seen it (and the price) I'm not as excited, especially as the assumed USB port is actually an on/off switch...
It has a mini USB at the back which puts out 0.5 amps, so it would be slow charging day an iPhone for eg and you have a hard time finding a cable, however may find an adapter for USB to mini USB.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
With 100mA it's a bit light for this. You should go for 500mA with a TO-220 package.
You’re all over it. I only have a minimal understanding of electronics, but learning slowly. I’m more of a fryer than a supplier lol.
If you made up a suitable USB charger, I’d buy one. Would save me faffing about.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles