Light menu activation for EP8... How to?

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Hey Guys,

Per the title :confused:

The light option beeps on the settings screen on the ecm800 display ..so it needs activating in E tube project or Stunlocker.

Stunlocker has the Lights menu option of off/on/always on. Except it immediately reverts back to off. with a message about previous FW versions.

The Shimano app does not have a Lights menu option that I can find!! I didn't create an account for it though maybe thats the problem?

HELP :geek:

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Answering my own question here, unless anyone knows better :)

The lights function on the EP8 motor can only be activated using the PCE01/02 hardwire connection.

Great. ffs.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
You can do this via STUnlocker
Hi Vadll, thanks for your reply...

When I try to activate the Light Setting with STunlocker I get the message "Motor FW is not supported please contact Stunlocker for more info.."

My FW is 4.1.2/4.1.0 for motor/display

I can activate the "off/on/on always" button however when I press Update the Lights menu reverts to "off". I haven't paid for a new key yet as I need my warranty.

Hoping you are working on a way round the "country origin log register" problem. ?

Let me know and best regards,

Frank

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Downgrade it to 4.0.2 and change settings. It doesn't require the Premium licence and doesn't affect on the warranty at all

Hi Vadll, thanks for your reply...

When I try to activate the Light Setting with STunlocker I get the message "Motor FW is not supported please contact Stunlocker for more info.."

My FW is 4.1.2/4.1.0 for motor/display

I can activate the "off/on/on always" button however when I press Update the Lights menu reverts to "off". I haven't paid for a new key yet as I need my warranty.

Hoping you are working on a way round the "country origin log register" problem. ?

Let me know and best regards,

Frank

erafune

Dec 11, 2021
Sweden
You do not need to pay for the PCE1/02 tool.
The Light On/Off option is unavailable on the current version of the E-Tube app, but is availble on older versions, such as 3.4.3, which you can find for free for android in an app archive such as Apkpure. Works for E7000 and E8000 and probably more models.
More info in this thread: Hardwiring Lights to E8000 - EMTB Forums

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
You do not need to pay for the PCE1/02 tool.
The Light On/Off option is unavailable on the current version of the E-Tube app, but is availble on older versions, such as 3.4.3, which you can find for free for android in an app archive such as Apkpure. More info in this thread: Hardwiring Lights to E8000 - EMTB Forums
That ETube version will not work with EP8, and will not change light settings on EP8

Evan

Aug 30, 2020
Sevenoaks
Downgrade it to 4.0.2 and change settings. It doesn't require the Premium licence and doesn't affect on the warranty at all
Hi Vadl, I managed to get the light working on my Orbea Rise by doing this but it only seems to work on the "Always on" setting. Any idea how it works on the "On" setting? Crazy that you have to do this complicated hack just to activate the light port!

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi Vadl, I managed to get the light working on my Orbea Rise by doing this but it only seems to work on the "Always on" setting. Any idea how it works on the "On" setting? Crazy that you have to do this complicated hack just to activate the light port!
"On" means that it can be switched ON/OFF using the display unit

Evan

Aug 30, 2020
Sevenoaks
"On" means that it can be switched ON/OFF using the display unit
Ah okay thanks. I don't actually have a display unit. Only the app and indicator on the cable. Which explains why I couldn't get it to work. Do you know of it's possible to switch it on and off using E-tube or something like that - an app?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles