Lezyne Ebike Macro 1000 Front Light

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Just installed this compact front light on my Nutrail, cost was only £59.99 from Merlin Cycles who also activated the light option for me, the required loom was about £11 from eBay plus a couple of heat shrink connectors.
Really happy with the set-up.
DSC_0001.JPG

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Is that a Bosch bike? Would good to see the on off controls on the display, have you got Puron? I have got the cable but not the light yet. How many lumens is yours

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Yes it's a Bosch system with the Purion controller. Once it's activated with a long press on the + button switches the light on and a small lamp symbol appears on the display. The lamp itself has a push button on the back to cycle through the settings. The Macro 1000 is a 1000 lms.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
cool thanks - I see merlin are doing them for £60,

Would be good if you can do a review on it Jack?

For example :
Was it easy to internally route the wire?

Did you use the Bosch light wire and then plug that into the light?

Is it a commuting light or a proper Forest dark MTB light?

I am still think about spending £320 on the Exposure light - but maybe 2 of these cheaper Lezyne light (using the Front and rear electrical connectors ) would be a cheaper way of getting 2000L?

My issue is that I am now used to using my Six pack Mk9 on 3000L all the time - so Going back to 1000L would be a bit tricky for me!

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Apologies for the slow reply.

Remove the battery catch so you can take out the plastic cover that sits in the frame under the battery (if your bike has one).
The light's loom is sealed into the lamp body so I ran it into the frame where other cables enter.
The Bosch cable was plugged into the motor as shown in various videos on Google/YouTube and then guided in the frame (there is lots of room to do this on the Nutrail frame).
I then joined the two using red heat shrink crimp connectors, wrapped with electrical tape and cable tied the cable to the others in the frame before replacing the battery under-tray.
The picture below hopefully gives an idea of the beam spread and range on the top 1000 lms setting. (The camera was on top of the bars).
1000 ebike light.JPG

Oded

Jul 27, 2020
Israel
Hi Jack,
I’m considering buying this light for night trail rides. What are you using it for?
Are the rated 1000lm sufficient?
How does it impact battery performance?
Thanks,

Oded

Jul 27, 2020
Israel
I eventually bought the Lezyne 1000 and installed it myself.
You can activate it yourself with a smartphone and the e-tube app.
Routing the light on my Merida took disassembling the Shimano motor from the frame.
I’m really happy with the result, but you need good mechanic skills to install it yourself.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Does it mount to the stem bolts?

Looks like decent value when the other Ebike lights ive looked at are multiple times that cost! Does it have an internal battery too?

Oded

Jul 27, 2020
Israel
Yes, it bolts to the stem. It comes with all of the necessary HW. You have to use the supplied longer stem bolts and spacers.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Does it mount to the stem bolts?

Looks like decent value when the other Ebike lights ive looked at are multiple times that cost! Does it have an internal battery too?
Yes it comes with longer stem bolts and spacers, no battery as it's designed to be wired to the bike's lighting supply cable.
You can select the various output levels via a push button on its rear.
The cheaper 500lm model mounts the same but is a simpler on/off via the bike's interface.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Brill, thanks. I've only just got the £50 front light from halfords, but would be good to have one which is powered from the bike itself.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Just installed the 500 lumen version on my Focus, and it doesn't work! :mad: Got 6 volts on the light output and checked it all switches on and off etc... It says it has an auto day/night mode but covering it up doesn't do anything, unless I'm missing something... ?

I should have checked it worked before feeding the cable through the frame I suppose, silly to think a new product would work I guess...

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I though the Bosch system needed the light function to be activated by a Bosch agent? It was on my Purion/CX2 Cube.

MrSpoon

May 20, 2020
UK
So I've been looking at the Lezyne Macro 1000 for my Whyte E160. Just wondering what the mounting options are and if the Lezyne is still the pick of the bunch? Are there any other good alternatives for permanently wired in lights?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
It's a decent light for general riding, wide beam but doesn't reach that far though, not great for fast downhill sections.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Ive been eyeing the flex light up, but the magic shine 6500s is calling me. For less money it seems to be a far superior light.

That does look to be a good light, not sure about having the battery pack strapped on the bike though...

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Did you ever try it?

Yes. Not extremely bright but very good beam. Best light I have tried for trail riding.

Unfortunately there is no way to turn it of. It is made for permanent mounting (no connector) on EBike with no way of turning it of. Very disappointing. Had big problems while transporting on road and meeting cars and do not want to ride with lights on all summer. Contacted Light & Motion about it but they did not care, just said that most ebikes can turn off the lights. Well Levo can not ☹️. Can not understand why they make the battery lamp with connector and off mode but not the EBike light.

Now it is in a box, money wasted ??

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
Yes. Not extremely bright but very good beam. Best light I have tried for trail riding.

Unfortunately there is no way to turn it of. It is made for permanent mounting (no connector) on EBike with no way of turning it of. Very disappointing. Had big problems while transporting on road and meeting cars and do not want to ride with lights on all summer. Contacted Light & Motion about it but they did not care, just said that most ebikes can turn off the lights. Well Levo can not ☹. Can not understand why they make the battery lamp with connector and off mode but not the EBike light.

Now it is in a box, money wasted ??
The Kiox has an On/Off switch for the light, I wonder if it woudl work best with that. Where are you located, I might be interested in it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles