Levo SL Gen 1 Levo vs Levo SL

encinoman

Aug 22, 2020
Los Angeles
Hi there.

I have a 2020 Levo Comp and I love it. I also have an analog MTB that I ride once a week just for exercise. I love my Levo more than anything, but I’m SL curious. I like the feel of a lighter weight bike and I don’t necessarily need all the range my 700 kWh battery provides. Does anyone who owns both a Levo and a Levo SL have any thoughts on how they compare?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
The levo motor is powerful and thrusts you forward just by turning the pedals. The SL motor just assists you and has barely any noticeable torque.
Different levo assist levels are massively different in power distribution, there's not an awful amount of difference between 35% and 100% assist on the SL.
SL is much more nimble and can be 5kg lighter than the full fat.
SL motor is noisy.

I've ownEd both. I'd pick the SL over the full fat.

Last edited:

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
My experience is somewhat different, a distinct difference in power levels on the SL. I was cruising in level 1 (35%) with a heart rate of 150, went to level 2 (65%) and heart rate dropped to 130, same flat terrain, same speed. Level 3 (100%) lunges forward and if I drop below about 18 mph the motor cuts in and out like it assumes I don't really want full power.

I have not ridden a Levo but rode two Vados and a Como, even with about 3x the torque they do not feel 3x more powerful. Could the the SL 35 n*m be not measured the same way as the full fat bikes?

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
I’ve owned both and now gone back to a FF, a lot depends on where you ride I’d say.
my orginal levo felt a bit numb and heavy, hard work on steep tracks up at the golfie and places I ride. I then had an SL for a year, they come very poorly specked so after I endurod it out it was quite heavy but still lighter than my old expert levo. The geo wasnt the best and SL motor is just the nosiest e bike motor going and the power is dam weak when riding with other e bikers.
I now have a gen 3 and a normal bike. The gen3 is massively improved e bike, geo is perfect, so nimble and doesn’t feel heavy compared to last FF bike, and it’s nice to have that power and amazing for big days out in the lakes without having extenders. Racing is a disadvantage on a SL as well. theres Over 30 SLs for sale on eBay, honey moon period doesn’t last so long .

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Personally I love the SL over the FF any day. It’s lower weight far outweighs the power advantage of a FF with like for like mods. Bike is way more fun to throw around all types of trails. So far the range has proven better than FF as well.

wkearney99

May 8, 2020
Bethesda, MD USA
If you're a bigger rider (by weight) then the added assistance of the Comp is your friend on climbs. I know it certainly made a difference hauling my ass around on climbs, my knees can't take it otherwise.

Mooncat

Aug 10, 2020
UK
Level 3 (100%) lunges forward and if I drop below about 18 mph the motor cuts in and out like it assumes I don't really want full power.
Slightly off topic......your experience of the SL power delivery is exactly the same as what I find. Are you running the latest software update for the motor? I'm still on the software that the bike came with in October last year and I wonder if the latest update fixes that surge you get in level 3

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
I regularly ride my SL with others who all have FF bikes, and I am able to go faster through twisty single track, and downhill, due to the nimbleness of the SL. On the steep long climbs I stand no chance of keeping up. I would say the SL is ideal for a lighter weight rider (I am 68kg).

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Slightly off topic......your experience of the SL power delivery is exactly the same as what I find. Are you running the latest software update for the motor? I'm still on the software that the bike came with in October last year and I wonder if the latest update fixes that surge you get in level 3

I am on 42.6.1.c and showing that I should take it in for an update. Now that there are not as many nice days to ride I plan to get it updated soon.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
I recall one of the updates addressed this issue specifically. My LBS is a former employer (bike mechanic) and I would hang out in the shop while they did the firmware updates. The updates make a significant difference in the power delivery and how the bike rides.

One negative experience: the motor stopped delivering assist at 2500 miles. Mission control showed everything green, but motor would not respond. Specialized quickly sent a new motor and and I was back on the bike in 3 weeks. I rode the bike right after I installed the new motor (with out firmware updates) and it was genuinely terrible. Had the firmware updated and it was back to being great.

OP, I had the Levo comp originally. It was a fun bike, but it was 52 pounds (alloy) and being relatively fit (I ride a Stumpy 50% of the time), I would maybe use half of the 700wh battery on big rides - 30+ miles. The FF motor was so powerful, I would ride in dialed down eco and trail modes. My LBS shop manager suggested the SL and generously let me return the Levo and I picked up the SL Expert '20.

It's a very different bike, and I absolutely love it. True, the '20 Expert was under spec'd for the price, I've literally replaced every stock component. I've made it a long travel hover bike to complement my light weight '21 Stumpy - Pike Ultimate 160mm and a DPX2 w/cascade link. It comes in a just a hair under 39 pounds w/ XT four piston brakes, the upgraded suspension and Grid tires w/ pedals. Best of both worlds, rides like a long travel trail bike, but climbs like an XC bike with pro rider legs. The power is less than the FF Levo, but I would not characterize it as "weak".

I don't ride with other E-bikes, so YMMV. If I did ride w/ other E-bikers, would likely be on a Gen 3 Levo.

As far as range goes, being fit I can get 3-4000 ft of climbing and 30-35 miles on the internal battery with usually about 15-20% battery left. Using the range extender, I can get 5000 ft and 35-40 miles with about 15-25% battery left even when using higher power levels in eco or trail. One thing I have noticed since the last firmware update is the motor seems to have more power output and the battery drains a smidge quicker. Not sure if that's in my head or real.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
2018 levo
2019 levo
2020 SL

For my type of riding, i can never go back to a FF levo. Main reason being i ride with mostly manual riders and i alternate between my ebike and my manual 2-3x a week. Going from my 14kg manual to a 20+kg FF levo was not fun, the diffrence in weight was too much and if i rode my manual 2 rides in a row and hop on my levo, it really felt like a heavy pig.

My current SL is about 18kg and the transition is less jarring when i move from manual to ebike.

Rding a FF lets you get away with anything on the trails...u can be in the wrong gear, you could be sitting when u suppsoed to be standing,etc all u do is just do 1/2 a pedal and you can boost over anything. But on the SL, its no diffrent from a normal bike, you need to be in the right gear, the torque isnt quite enuff to power you over obstacles if you wernt ready

also like you said..my rides are normally less than 15km ...so lugging around a 700wh battery all the time was complete waste, i actually swapped for a 500wh battery on my 2019, but it was still over 20kg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles