Levo tyres

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
Hey! I'm hoping to pick up my new Levo comp in a few weeks. Nearly all the videos I've seen shows everyone riding on Maxxis. Are the Specialized Butchers that crap?
Should I try and talk my LBS into fitting them Maxxis pre purchase? I live in Hampshire and so will do most of my riding on the south Downs and New forest.

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
Got my Levo in December. I tried the tyres for a couple of rides and have now changed the front as I found it sliding everywhere. Now got a magic Mary and that’s working great and gives me confidence.

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Was a bit unsure of the grip at the front to start off with but now played with pressure , tubeless and a bit worn in ( 300 miles ) I like them !

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I also love the butcher's, I'm running 20psi in front and 24psi in rear, no problem with grip.

Topolino

Jan 27, 2019
München
I ran them today with an insert (Procore) and had around 17-18 psi at the front. It was muddy and icy, but it gripped well enough for my style of riding. That was, cautiously, because I’m a freelancer and my employer frowns on jumps and general recklessness ?

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
Butchers have very thin sidewalls, running tubeless if you spray with soapy water a ton of air escapes until the sealant kicks in. I've torn the sidewall to shreds on the rear, now running Maxxis.

Last edited:

deanphoto

Dec 14, 2018
UK
Hey! I'm hoping to pick up my new Levo comp in a few weeks. Nearly all the videos I've seen shows everyone riding on Maxxis. Are the Specialized Butchers that crap?
Should I try and talk my LBS into fitting them Maxxis pre purchase? I live in Hampshire and so will do most of my riding on the south Downs and New forest.

You might struggle with a butcher on the front in muddy conditions due to chalky nature of the earth in Hampshire. I've swapped my front for a HillBilly and it's improved grip greatly in hard cornering.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
You should not choose tyres based on current trend.
You need to understand what makes a Tyre do what it does. Just because it works for one bloke, does not mean it will work for you.
Butchers have no intermediate knobs, so the will bite well when leaned right over in medium to soft soils. If this is where and how you ride then great. They don’t bite well on harder surfaces and when not leaned right over. They also don’t play well on wet root and rock, because of the large void area where there is no intermediate tread.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
It all depends on your specific trail conditions. Where I live maxis DHR II WT 2.4 inch tires will beat the butchers in all conditions I deal with, dry or wet ,but especially when wet. Hands-down no better tires in my area. They may be slow rolling but these are electric bikes so that cancels it out.

DONUT

Feb 18, 2019
Hampshire
I have swapped from the stock butcher grids to MM DHF 2.5 WT exo front and back. They are the same width as the 2.6 butchers on 30id rims but have much tougher casings. My LBS set me up tubeless and I was seeing latex bubbles front and back pretty much every ride on the butchers (mostly New Forest so far.) Then I ripped a sidewall and it was all over for the back tyre. With the MMs not seen any sealant since I fitted them. I also hear 2.6 MMs in 29 will be available soon - will probably stick one on the front when they land.

freddok

Jan 9, 2019
Villard de Lans, France
No words on the Butcher's in Black Diamond casing ? I love Maxxis Minion and think at first swap the stock Butcher's on my 19' Levo for a pair of MM in 2.5 or 2.6. I'm undecided on the casing (EXO, EXO+ or DD) . In the same time, my LBS can swap the stock Butcher's to the Black Diamond's for 94€ the pair... Any advices or opinions ?

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
No words on the Butcher's in Black Diamond casing ? I love Maxxis Minion and think at first swap the stock Butcher's on my 19' Levo for a pair of MM in 2.5 or 2.6. I'm undecided on the casing (EXO, EXO+ or DD) . In the same time, my LBS can swap the stock Butcher's to the Black Diamond's for 94€ the pair... Any advices or opinions ?
I’m running a Black Dimond Eliminator on the rear and a Grid Eliminator front.
I’m a fan of the Black Dimond case on the rear, but prefer to keep the lighter more flexible Grid up front. It’s working out to be a great match.

savaar

Oct 21, 2018
Washington
I rode the stock Butchers on my Kenevo and hated them. Very unpredictable for PNW riding. Put 2.8 Maxxis Minion DHF front and 2.6 DHRII rear with dc. Completely different bike ! Awesome handling and better confidence. When riding the wifes levo blew out the rear tire on second ride so had to buy same set up. Absolutely love the combo for where I live.

kungdog

Feb 27, 2019
uk
I also swapped out the Butchers after a few weeks, found them too unpredictable as well. Currently using High Roller II 3c, seem decent so far.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Just changed both my 29 x 2.6 Grid Butchers to 2.6 Grid Eliminators - just as much grip, but less squirmy, and seem roll better too, especially on hardpack surfaces where they are quieter as well.

GhostHammerX

Apr 1, 2019
San Tan Valley, AZ
Any experiences witht the eddy current tyres?
Inquiring minds would like to know!

I have usually used some combo of HR/HR2/DHF/DHR2 myself, and am contemplating what I want to do this time around...

(FWIW, I have a 2018 Levo - but with a 160mm Lyrik RC2 - and ride in dry, loose-over-hardpack primarily, and currently have the stock 27.5 Rovals that came with the Comp Carbon model, but was tempted to swap out the front for a 29er to see what all the fuss is about...)

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
If someone is interesting..
Changed back tire from 27,5 Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.6 to 27,5 DHR II 2.6
MM = wide from knob to knob 66 mm, height 61 mm
DHR II = 62 mm and 59 mm

Rim width 35 mm (inside)

baxterbradford

Feb 18, 2018
Exmouth, Devon
Resurrecting this thread as I'm keen to replace my 27.5 x 2.8 Butcher Grids that came with my 2018 Turbo Levo. I've always had them tubeless and would do same with new tyres. I've long suspected that better tyres exist, but have just gone out and used what came with the bike. I do a real mix of riding, road, trail, mud, occasionally rocks & tree roots and so am looking for a jack of all trades tyre that hopefully does better than the Butchers.
I've spent an 'interesting' couple of hours in the tyre minefield to get an idea what's out there having had zero knowledge.
It seems the Maxxis Minions DHR II on front and rear ought to do me fine. The Roval rims are 38mm. I'm 6foot and 120kg, so ought I be looking at the 2.4, 2.6 or 2.8 inch widths and does it make much difference? What about the WT option and is the Exo + adequate (ie on a par with the Butchers)? If the Exo+ isn't strong enough & Doubledown needed, then it limits width options.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Resurrecting this thread as I'm keen to replace my 27.5 x 2.8 Butcher Grids that came with my 2018 Turbo Levo. I've always had them tubeless and would do same with new tyres. I've long suspected that better tyres exist, but have just gone out and used what came with the bike. I do a real mix of riding, road, trail, mud, occasionally rocks & tree roots and so am looking for a jack of all trades tyre that hopefully does better than the Butchers.
I've spent an 'interesting' couple of hours in the tyre minefield to get an idea what's out there having had zero knowledge.
It seems the Maxxis Minions DHR II on front and rear ought to do me fine. The Roval rims are 38mm. I'm 6foot and 120kg, so ought I be looking at the 2.4, 2.6 or 2.8 inch widths and does it make much difference? What about the WT option and is the Exo + adequate (ie on a par with the Butchers)? If the Exo+ isn't strong enough & Doubledown needed, then it limits width options.
I have the same bike and similar riding conditions. I have changed to a MM 2.6 single wall, with a butcher 2.6 on the back. Butcher is a smaller tyre than the MM at the same size spec, width and height. I think “butch and Mary” are a brilliant combo. Mary restored front end confidence quickly after 2.8 butcher ruined it. She grips like mad and butch follows obediently, sliding around a bit. Great feeling, much livelier than before. I do lots of road miles for fitness, they roll well and seem quite resistant to wear.

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
i love my 29x2.6 eddy current front tire on booth wheel, in any situation. there is no other tire with such grip and punctur ressistant.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles