Article Levo SL vs Turbo Levo?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My 2.4 wild enduro measure up same as spesh tyres fitted. Not much room for bigger than that.

View attachment 25912

View attachment 25911

Doesn’t look like much space there - although I was quite happy with the rear. I feel like I could do with a little bit more on the front - maybe a 2.5 or 2.6.

I forgot how much of a mess you get with no front mudguard... I had mud spraying all over my face coming down the soggy fire track. Amazing how much difference those small front guards make!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Seriously. It would be a riot to try with my 180mm Lyrik plus 650b front and back . Maybe go 55mm stroke on the shock to get a bit more monster truck.
Nah.. Just increase travel to 170mm on the standard 29 fork.
Dont up the rear travel at all. Keeping it nice nlow n slack

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Seriously. It would be a riot to try with my 180mm Lyrik plus 650b front and back . Maybe go 55mm stroke on the shock to get a bit more monster truck.

Slap a Trust Shout on there and you'll monster truck over anything!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry man. I didn't even look at what fork it has. I'd have just slapped a Lyrik on if I'd wanted an SL. (I don't really)

jnaperville

Sep 25, 2019
Naperville IL USA
Rob,
Not sure if this is the ideal thread to post this but I am trying to decide which bike to buy for here in the USA. A fully capable Kenevo or SL that I can maybe sneak into more locations. At one point you had mentioned in a video that after a year of riding the Levo you had mentioned the new 2020 Kenevo had become your bike of choice for all around riding. Does the SL change that thought?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob,
Not sure if this is the ideal thread to post this but I am trying to decide which bike to buy for here in the USA. A fully capable Kenevo or SL that I can maybe sneak into more locations. At one point you had mentioned in a video that after a year of riding the Levo you had mentioned the new 2020 Kenevo had become your bike of choice for all around riding. Does the SL change that thought?
The Kenevo is a bike I enjoy riding, it’s long and slack. It fits me better than any other bike I’ve ridden at 520mm reach. I have a long torso and am 6’3” so enjoy the extra reach. And that stable feeling that the long wheelbase and long reach provide.

The SL and Kenevo really are chalk and cheese. I need to test the SL more on home trails. I don’t know if it could replace the Kenevo.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I bought the large SL carbon comp last Wednesday and couldn't be happier with my decision. I struggled with wanting to buy the standard Levo or the SL or maybe the Kenevo. Truth is I didn't even know about the SL until one day before it launched and I demoed it that day. Over the past year, I rode quite a few standard emtb's like the Tazer, Pivot, Levo, Cannondale, Altitude Powerplay and they all felt pretty similar except for the motor feel and power delivery. Handling of those bikes was pretty even with nothing standing out. The SL feels in a class all its own with the potential to be only a few pounds heavier than a typical trail or enduro bike. The SL accelerates so quickly downhill and is so nimble on tight single track, I can't imagine going back to my regular carbon bike. This is my first specialized bike and my first emtb. I have owned lots of Santa Cruz and now an Alchemy Arktos.

I have ridden the SL everyday since I bought it...I haven't done that with any of my acoustic bikes when they were new. The handling and sheer speed of the SL is pretty addicting. The drag is so minimal when off motor support and that is very significant when thinking about this bike. I turned the motor off on the SL for about 1/2 my single track climb yesterday. How many other emtb's would you try that with? With the motor off, it fells like riding a normal bike with heavy tires, but that is about it.

The SL comp carbon is very capable with the existing components, however, I do plan on upgrading to the following components as the stock suspension and braking is not my preference:

- Fox factory 36, 160mm with Grip 2 damper
- XT or XTR 4 piston brakes, 203mm front and 180mm rear rotors
- Either the EXT Storia or the Cane Creek DB Coil IL (210x55mm)
- OneUp carbon bar
- Maybe the OneUp EDC stem but don't know?
- Reverb AXS in 150mm
- XO1 AXS rear Derailleur
- Try to use existing Roval Traverse wheels that the SL came with. Not sure this is possible if I intend use Shimano's new rotors. The may only come in center lock.

Anyone know how to use the new Shimano Freeza ice tech brake rotors with the 6 bolt specialized hubs?

Thanks

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I bought the large SL carbon comp last Wednesday and couldn't be happier with my decision. I struggled with wanting to buy the standard Levo or the SL or maybe the Kenevo. Truth is I didn't even know about the SL until one day before it launched and I demoed it that day. Over the past year, I rode quite a few standard emtb's like the Tazer, Pivot, Levo, Cannondale, Altitude Powerplay and they all felt pretty similar except for the motor feel and power delivery. Handling of those bikes was pretty even with nothing standing out. The SL feels in a class all its own with the potential to be only a few pounds heavier than a typical trail or enduro bike. The SL accelerates so quickly downhill and is so nimble on tight single track, I can't imagine going back to my regular carbon bike. This is my first specialized bike and my first emtb. I have owned lots of Santa Cruz and now an Alchemy Arktos.

I have ridden the SL everyday since I bought it...I haven't done that with any of my acoustic bikes when they were new. The handling and sheer speed of the SL is pretty addicting. The drag is so minimal when off motor support and that is very significant when thinking about this bike. I turned the motor off on the SL for about 1/2 my single track climb yesterday. How many other emtb's would you try that with? With the motor off, it fells like riding a normal bike with heavy tires, but that is about it.

The SL comp carbon is very capable with the existing components, however, I do plan on upgrading to the following components as the stock suspension and braking is not my preference:

- Fox factory 36, 160mm with Grip 2 damper
- XT or XTR 4 piston brakes, 203mm front and 180mm rear rotors
- Either the EXT Storia or the Cane Creek DB Coil IL (210x55mm)
- OneUp carbon bar
- Maybe the OneUp EDC stem but don't know?
- Reverb AXS in 150mm
- XO1 AXS rear Derailleur
- Try to use existing Roval Traverse wheels that the SL came with. Not sure this is possible if I intend use Shimano's new rotors. The may only come in center lock.

Anyone know how to use the new Shimano Freeza ice tech brake rotors with the 6 bolt specialized hubs?

Thanks

brill that you're so pleased.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My SL Expert is now in the store, but due to most of the mechanics being off ill with man-flu, I'm unlikely to get it until next week. Gives me a chance to ride my Stumpjumper over the weekend... and it'll feel like the SL has loads of power when I ride it again!

I asked them to order me the AXS Reverb (as they could price match to the cheapest price I've seen), and I ordered the XX1 AXS upgrade kit a minute ago myself - as they couldn't price match anything like the price I could find it!
I'm going to ask if they can try a couple of slightly wider front tyres to see what will work.

Not sure whether or not to order an Invisiframe, as Spesh are pretty good at putting clear film over all the parts that are likely to wear?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
My SL Expert is now in the store, but due to most of the mechanics being off ill with man-flu, I'm unlikely to get it until next week. Gives me a chance to ride my Stumpjumper over the weekend... and it'll feel like the SL has loads of power when I ride it again!

I asked them to order me the AXS Reverb (as they could price match to the cheapest price I've seen), and I ordered the XX1 AXS upgrade kit a minute ago myself - as they couldn't price match anything like the price I could find it!
I'm going to ask if they can try a couple of slightly wider front tyres to see what will work.

Not sure whether or not to order an Invisiframe, as Spesh are pretty good at putting clear film over all the parts that are likely to wear?

Congrats on your new SL :)

If the film on the SL is like the Levo, its the outside of the down tube, back of the seat tube up to a point and chain stay. I got an Invisiframe kit for my frame and forks, no regrets at all, I'd rather the film got scuffed than the paintwork.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

At that price I would invisiframe the shit out of it, especially when you come to sell it after six months and need it in tip top condition when Shimano drop a hammer with the new EXTR
E8100
E-9000 motors ;)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Congrats on your new SL :)

If the film on the SL is like the Levo, its the outside of the down tube, back of the seat tube up to a point and chain stay. I got an Invisiframe kit for my frame and forks, no regrets at all, I'd rather the film got scuffed than the paintwork.

Did you peel off the existing film before fitting the Invisiframe?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
At that price I would invisiframe the shit out of it, especially when you come to sell it after six months and need it in tip top condition when Shimano drop a hammer with the new EXTR
E8100
E-9000 motors ;)

In 6 months it probably won't be worth selling :rolleyes:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Did you peel off the existing film before fitting the Invisiframe?

On the down tube I put it over the existing one for extra protection, and didn't use the seat stay piece. I didn't use a couple of pieces as they were duplicates and have kept them in case they're needed at some stage.

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Ok... I'm convinced! I'll order the kit tomorrow - should be here before the bike. That'll be another couple of evenings the wife won't see me!!

I've now got the gloss v's matte dilemma again...

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Ok... I'm convinced! I'll order the kit tomorrow - should be here before the bike. That'll be another couple of evenings the wife won't see me!!

I've now got the gloss v's matte dilemma again...

maybe the dealer would do it for you, mine offered (I should have accepted).

if there's a choice I prefer matte for a bike. gloss is ok in the showroom but matte is more workmanlike for a bit of kit that gets chucked down mountains. it ain't a Ferrari!

and I wouldn't bother invisiframe on matte. my gen 1 Evil Following is matte, shows it's age but only as appropriate. think stickers on matte look silly too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Will any of those lovely upgrades jack the weight up?
Mine?
Lyrik will add 400g ish weight but be well worth it
27.5 wheels n tyres (like for like)will remove 250g+ per wheel and be stronger/stiffer

losgatogtr?
- Fox factory 36, 160mm with Grip 2 damper - should add about 400g
- XT or XTR 4 piston brakes, 203mm front and 180mm rear rotors - won't be much different
- Either the EXT Storia or the Cane Creek DB Coil IL (210x55mm) - will add 300-550g depending on the spring weight
- OneUp carbon bar - similar weight
- Maybe the OneUp EDC stem but don't know? - Edc tool will add 110g (and your headset/stem will come loose more often
- Reverb AXS in 150mm - bout the same
- XO1 AXS rear Derailleur - bout the same

I wouldn't put a coil on this bike as it'll simply be far poppier with an air shock

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Great video Rob and a good complementary one from Electric Bike Review -
Love the fact he falls off when riding a flat road! The guy with him (owner of the bikes / bike shop) must’ve been like ’what the hell?’.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
maybe the dealer would do it for you, mine offered (I should have accepted).

if there's a choice I prefer matte for a bike. gloss is ok in the showroom but matte is more workmanlike for a bit of kit that gets chucked down mountains. it ain't a Ferrari!

and I wouldn't bother invisiframe on matte. my gen 1 Evil Following is matte, shows it's age but only as appropriate. think stickers on matte look silly too.

I had to do the one on the Trek myself as the shop don’t do it, so will have to do this one too. Now I’ve had practice, I should be quicker the second time round!

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Thanks for the component weights Gary. By changing the front fork, bar and stem I'm looking for less vibration on the hands and a more compliant ride at the front. Actually want to slightly slacken the head angle with the 160 fork and of course get better HSC and LSC control.

Main reason for wanting to try a coil shock on the SL is to have a more controlled ride over gnarly trails and rock gardens and increase the grip all around.

Would I be better off with a different shock?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles