Article Levo SL vs Turbo Levo?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
good video Rob, especially the ending assessment.

I read somewhere:
SL: think of it as a trail bike with assistance.
Levo: think of it as a full gas e-bike.

I would think anyone not a regular rider, larger (heavier) people, anyone whose idea of a good ride is a long day out covering territory, anyone for whom "range" is a concern, would be best on the Levo.

Regular riders wanting to go out and ride trails, have a blast, don't mind working, happier on the SL.

Noticed the Spesh guy at the event mentioned the SL was for "authentic" riders. That could be interpreted several ways ...

caveat: I own a Levo, yet to ride an SL. If I was buying today I'd want to try both but on paper would pick an SL.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Looking forward to watching this after work.
I’ve just done a 30 day exchange to swap a Rail for a Levo SL - which I’ll hopefully get this week.

I thought the Rail was an absolute blast to ride... but offered way more assistance than I really wanted. The SL seemed more like an extension of my own legs - with subtle assistance.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Shame there wasnt a 20 Sworks levo available for weight comparisons. Thanks for the review, amazing photography.
Thanks.

There was a discussion regarding the 20 S-Works. In the end.... it came down to... I wanted more of a contrast in the video between the two bikes ? The S-Works looks so similar you’d barely be able to tell the difference in the video ?

The S-Works with the 700 battery is 20.8 KG so still almost 4KG heavier than the SL

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
EMBN channel have for several years taken on time trials with descending capabilities on normal analog enduro bikes and downhill bikes vs emtb’s never saw that much gap, 10sec on a short track of 1:36 min. The SL must be a real KOM killer on descends much better than any analog bike ever ?. Must get a demo?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
EMBN channel have for several years taken on time trials with descending capabilities on normal analog enduro bikes and downhill bikes vs emtb’s never saw that much gap, 10sec on a short track of 1:36 min. The SL must be a real KOM killer on descends much better than any analog bike ever ?. Must get a demo?
I’ll send you the raw file if you want to see them both with the timings ?? Like I mentioned in the vid it was a quick blast down a track and I had been riding the SL more, so was more in tune with it.

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
I’ll send you the raw file if you want to see them both with the timings ?? Like I mentioned in the vid it was a quick blast down a track and I had been riding the SL more, so was more in tune with it.
No, I totally believe your timing @Rob Hancill just found it to be not consistent with EMBN’s findings the last years ?maybe the result would have been different with 5 consecutive runs with each bike?

Edit: Just found this vid also, very nice to see others than EMBN doing these tests in these light vs heavy days ?

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
No, I totally believe your timing @Rob Hancill just found it to be not consistent with EMBN’s findings the last years ?maybe the result would have been different with 5 consecutive runs with each bike?
Mine definitely wasn’t a scientific accurate test in any sense. I’d definitely with practice / more runs be able to hack the Levo down quicker

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Mine definitely wasn’t a scientific accurate test in any sense. I’d definitely with practice / more runs be able to hack the Levo down quicker
Will you be testing the new Santa Heckler soon. Really waiting for a honest review, not just promo vids as out today. Wonder where it will go on you board?

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
If I can only have one E bike I would go with the levo. Having that full power for some climbs or sections that you just want to blast is really fun...Or racing cars across intersections at stop lights. People give you funny looks.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Will you be testing the new Santa Heckler soon. Really waiting for a honest review, not just promo vids as out today. Wonder where it will go on you board?
I asked SC but didn’t get much back. So it’s a no at the moment.

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
This is a good thread and no doubt lots of Levo owners have been considering this! Having bought a 2019 Levo Comp Carbon on the 16th Jan, I felt and I'm still annoyed that J E James didn't mention the SL was about to come out. I'm quite sure they would have known.
I'm not sure whether to complain, not that I think it would be of much help....however I did want a bike I could easily take the battery out as my bike will be kept outdoors in my bike safe. Also my fitness levels are ok but at 50 I'm not as fit as I was and when I have ridden the bike I really have enjoyed the power of the bike. The SL Comp Carbon is 6k and if I didn't get a discount then I couldn't afford that model and am I right in thinking the 5k base model is 19.5Kgs? So I reckon the Levo is for me. At some point I'll probably get an electric hardtail as I'm definitely converted. Any thoughts anyone?

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Great film Rob which I should have watched the first and now have. Yes the Levo is definitely the bike for me. Safe and steady downhill with more assistance uphill.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
This is a good thread and no doubt lots of Levo owners have been considering this! Having bought a 2019 Levo Comp Carbon on the 16th Jan, I felt and I'm still annoyed that J E James didn't mention the SL was about to come out. I'm quite sure they would have known.
I'm not sure whether to complain, not that I think it would be of much help....however I did want a bike I could easily take the battery out as my bike will be kept outdoors in my bike safe. Also my fitness levels are ok but at 50 I'm not as fit as I was and when I have ridden the bike I really have enjoyed the power of the bike. The SL Comp Carbon is 6k and if I didn't get a discount then I couldn't afford that model and am I right in thinking the 5k base model is 19.5Kgs? So I reckon the Levo is for me. At some point I'll probably get an electric hardtail as I'm definitely converted. Any thoughts anyone?

I got my Levo Comp Carbon in November with a good discount, and had buyers remorse the other day when they launched the SL. Now having had time to think, I made the right decision. I'm 56 and getting fitter thanks to the Levo. Not being a very experienced rider, I'm not sure (at this point in time) I'd fully utilise the ability of the SL and seeing what people do on the Levo I can't/don't use anywhere near it capabilities. I just know that its great fun to ride and does everything I ask of it now, and for the foreseeable future.

Another major factor for me is that the battery is not easily removable, as the battery is kept and charged in the house and the bike in the garage.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Another major factor for me is that the battery is not easily removable, as the battery is kept and charged in the house and the bike in the garage.

With the range extender though, you can have some quick snap-in 160Wh batteries. That's kinda of a cool feature.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

Ha. After I put a Trust Shout fork on my Pivot Shuttle, my DH times are faster than on my Hightower...

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
With the range extender though, you can have some quick snap-in 160Wh batteries. That's kinda of a cool feature.

Good point, but then there's the expense of the extra battery and either leaving the main battery in the bike over the winter which can't be good for it, or taking it out for the winter and not using it. I's a real shame, but it is an important consideration for me and possibly others.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Good point, but then there's the expense of the extra battery and either leaving the main battery in the bike over the winter which can't be good for it, or taking it out for the winter and not using it. I's a real shame, but it is an important consideration for me and possibly others.

Depending on how far you need to go, you can take the main battery out and leave that in the house and just run with the range extender (making the bike even lighter).

Buy the founders and you get two range extenders included - that's how to save money :)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
@Rob Hancill
Great video!

I know you ride an XL...
In the video, your S-Works has the Reverb AXS and is always slammed in as far as it’ll go. You’re 6ft 3” tall right? I believe Spesh put a 170 on the XL...
I’ve ordered an XL SL Expert, and was going to get a 170 Reverb AXS. I’m 6ft 1 3/4” tall - so is the 170 post going to be too big for me?

I’ve also read that the SL will only take 2.3 tyres. I assume this is just on the rear, as I’d expect the Fox 34 to take a 2.6?

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
I’ve also read that the SL will only take 2.3 tyres. I assume this is just on the rear,

My 2.4 wild enduro measure up same as spesh tyres fitted. Not much room for bigger than that.

2020-02-10 12.00.42.jpg

2020-02-10 12.00.49.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles