Article Levo SL vs Turbo Levo?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Thanks for the component weights Gary. By changing the front fork, bar and stem I'm looking for less vibration on the hands and a more compliant ride at the front. Actually want to slightly slacken the head angle with the 160 fork and of course get better HSC and LSC control.

Main reason for wanting to try a coil shock on the SL is to have a more controlled ride over gnarly trails and rock gardens and increase the grip all around.

Would I be better off with a different shock?

havnt ridden the SL but I would 100% recommend not putting coil on that bike, go for a DPX2, perfect for that bike. Coil will change the character too much, just looking at it on paper. You bought it to be a snappy fun trail bike I’m assuming? Coil will change that. I’m sure plenty will disagree, but I’d keep it as light as possible. 2.3 tire is plenty big especially on rear. Taking this light snappy trail machine and giving it the enduro bro treatment is opposite of its design intention. im sure the will come out with an sl enduro at some point, just buy that.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
seamarsh...I'm curious as to why you would not recommend a coil on the SL as it has the same exact geometry numbers at the standard Levo except for a shorter chainstay of 437 mm vs 455 mm on the Levo. People seem to love how a coil rides on the Levo and the weight difference between the Fox DPX2 and the EXT Storia is about 200 grams or about the weight of a 29 inner tube. The EXT Storia with spring installed weighs about 630 grams and the DPX2 weighs about 430 grams. I understand if you are after the lightest weight...but that isn't what I am after.

Now, if you say that the DPX2 rides just as good as the Storia, then that would win me over. I do like the $500 difference in price of course. Many riders are floored with the performance of the EXT Storia but I have never ridden either shock so who knows.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think people get confused over the whole coil vs air argument. Its rare that a coil is better than an air shock or vice versa as they are not the same thing, they are different options for controlling the rear end of your bike.

Fundamentally it comes to how you want to ride your bike, where you ride and what you are looking for in terms of handling characteristics.

I would always caveat that when you say I fitted so and so and it transforms the bike, that it transformed the bike for you.

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
The wife and I rented one last weekend. I was a huge opponent to ebikes hated them really. So we took them out to the best place to try them out. Henry Coe STate Park. Holy hell was I impressed. Rode like a normal bike yet had the power to climb all the hills that were normally a long hike-a-bike. We went back and ordered 2...an Expert for me and a S-Works for her.

jnaperville

Sep 25, 2019
Naperville IL USA
I was wondering since the Levo SL will give 100% assist as a max can you use Belvo or another app to increase the amount of assist at lower rider for input? I am not looking for more speed but rather more accelaration.

motoadve

Jun 15, 2019
Washington
A big turn off for me is paying all that money and having a 34 Fox fork, I dont think it would work too well in the trails I ride which are steep rocky, roots, mud and fast terrain.
Hardly any serious Mt bike nowadays come with a 34 Fox fork unless is geared towards a cross country light bike.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
A big turn off for me is paying all that money and having a 34 Fox fork, I dont think it would work too well in the trails I ride which are steep rocky, roots, mud and fast terrain.
Hardly any serious Mt bike nowadays come with a 34 Fox fork unless is geared towards a cross country light bike.
People swapping the 34 out to something else are doing so out of desire, not necessity. I find the 34’s absolutely fine. Good in fact! I have 36’s on my Trance and prior to getting the SL I had big intentions of ditching the 34’s almost immediately. Having now ridden it for a bit I think they’re a decent match (certainly for the predominantly trail type riding I do).

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
The 34 (Rhythm in my case) wasn't bad. I found that I had to throw a couple of tokens in to prevent harsh bottom outs. But I do enjoy a stiffer, 160mm fork right now. The shorter offset is an improvement IMO as well. Calmer steering,

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
So, in motocross terms: Power- the SL is like a 125 vs a 250f on a difficult uphill. Handling again clickable like a 125 and has its better moments than a 250f.
Forks: the 34 fox (s-works) is every bit as good as my fox 36’s on my DrD Levo.
Tires: I prefer the 2.3 on the SL, gonna try them on my Levo.
Workout: a better one on the SL, higher wattage thru the legs, heart rate about the same.
my three cents

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles