Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL vs Orbea Rise **edit update**

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
I'm really torn between the Rise and the SL (which have a steady stream of used ones on ebay). Aside from the downhill rattle and an extra 900g for motor and battery, the Shimano EP8 is a much better motor. Much quicker and more responsive to pedal pressure and more powerful if you want it. Also more tunable in the app. The Rise cockpit is more forward though so I might have to swap to a setback dropper to get the best pedaling position. Check out the video examinations of the motors.
Not sure to follow you when you say that EP8 is a much better motor. More sensitive to pedal pressure, you say?
Assurance delivered is more supple on mahle motor, it has simply less torque. But it doesn’t mean assistance is any less reactive! Even maybe the contrary, but my test of EP8 equipped ebike was too limited to pronounce a judgement there.
What I can say for sure though, is that levo SL is definitively the most natural and dragless bike when reaching speed limit. And I tested Brose Bosch and EP8...

Does this alone compensate the less powerful motor, I guess it depends of your practice! :)

Last edited:

sendler2112

Jan 2, 2021
Syracuse, NY USA
Not sure to follow you when you say that EP8 is a much better motor. More sensitive to pedal pressure, you say?
It is clear in the excellent and detailed above video reviews that the SL motor still has the "late to the party" characteristic of starting and stopping in relation to pedal input.

Jim_bo

May 9, 2020
Las Vegas
Is the more powerful motor of the Rise really an issue? If it is, then you are likely buying the wrong category of bike. I have never wished I had more power on my SL. I almost never ride above 50%. So is that really a selling factor?

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
It is clear in the excellent and detailed above video reviews that the SL motor still has the "late to the party" characteristic of starting and stopping in relation to pedal input.
Definitely not in my experience. As I said I based my judgement on actual field testing, rather than bing watching some random sponsored (or not) reviews on YouTube. Not criticizing video production quality there. :)
Still, some other motors as Bosch for instance felt way more on/off (abrupt) to me.
But apparently you already made up your mind, you are sure not turn anymore! ;)

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Have you ridden an SL? I do and have no idea what you’ve said above in bold even means.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
How does the Rise ride with motor off? I use my Levo SL 50% of the time without motor (when riding with analogue mates and family).
I agree with this one of the nice things I love about the Levo sl is it has Zero drag over the limiter or when Assistance is off
I ride my Levo sl in a mix of eco and off mode and it doesn’t feel hugely different to my 14 kg Santa Cruz Tallboy
If your fit the sl give you more than enough assistant great range and no drag at all

Jim_bo

May 9, 2020
Las Vegas
I don’t think that’s right. I have an SL and the characteristic he is describing is exclusive to turbo mode. It is apparent that there is a different algorithm for turbo than the other two modes. In sport or eco mode, I don’t experience it at all. I frequently ride technical, rocky areas where predictable power delivery is a must. My SL is outstanding in this arena.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its a selling factor in the sense that if you are comparing a model of the sl with a model of the rise that basically weigh the same, then having a bit more poke on tap if you want it is an appealing factor.

I would really like to see some back to back range test between the two, as from my experience the Shimano sytems dont have the best range, whereas the SL seems to have excellent range.

Personally the power of the two motors isn't a factor for me, I would go for the Rise because of the geometry, the current SL's geo is a tun off for me - however if they made an SL with the geometry of the Stumpjumper Evo then I would probably prefer that to the Rise, in terms off pure paper based appeal.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
in terms off pure paper based appeal.
I think this ticks all your boxes :

paper.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have a look at the videos and you will understand. My full power Levo does this as well. The programming of the Specialized motors, both full and SL could be better.
I pretty sure we all love @knut7 's video's but you're going to have to explain more than that so we understand what you're trying to say - this line alone contradicts itself.

Jim_bo

May 9, 2020
Las Vegas
Personally the power of the two motors isn't a factor for me, I would go for the Rise because of the geometry, the current SL's geo is a tun off for me - however if they made an SL with the geometry of the Stumpjumper Evo then I would probably prefer that to the Rise, in terms off pure paper based appeal.

I don’t understand... exactly what difference in geometry are you talking about??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My issue is i dont want to spend that kind of money to realise that my 63 year old dad is getting up the hill a whole 60 seconds before i would on the SL. Id want full power out of the orbea and i dont understand why you cant have it.

But if you're worried the SL won't keep up with your dad with it's 35nm... then the Orbea with 60nm would surely bring parity with your father ?

Orbea were probably based with two issues ..

A: make it full power, 50% of people buying the bike would complain and say it doesn't go far enough because the battery is too small.

B: It wouldn't be compatible with the range extender batteries.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm

Nope.

Maybe it was in issue back in May, but there have been at least a couple of firmware updates since then. Motor does not have the characteristic that you speak of.

Jim_bo

May 9, 2020
Las Vegas
yes the spec is much better. dpx2 and grip 2 damper. carbon wheels are pointless really.
That’s not a function of the year as much as it is a function of the level you want. There is no difference other than paint and bolt on stuff.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
What geometry? Head angle? Chain stay length? Reach?

on the SL i have to slam the seat all the way forward or it feels like i'm behind, with the steeper seat tube angle of the rise i didn't get that feeling

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
What geometry? Head angle? Chain stay length? Reach?
The geo is more progressive. The most significant difference is the Rise has a steeper seat tube angle and longer reach. They both have similar head angles (within .5 degrees) depending on how you set the flip chip. The SL has shorter chainstays, which I prefer. I wouldn't complain if the SL had a steeper seat tube angle and a longer reach (Like my '21 Stumpy), but overall, the SL's geo works for me.

Last edited:

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Is the more powerful motor of the Rise really an issue? If it is, then you are likely buying the wrong category of bike. I have never wished I had more power on my SL. I almost never ride above 50%. So is that really a selling factor?
I own a Levo, which has all the power a boy can dream of.... and I ride my SL almost as many miles. They are two completely different bikes. And my SL is a fine and wonderful thing.

sendler2112

Jan 2, 2021
Syracuse, NY USA
Have you ridden an SL?
Just a short ride up a nearby hill on pavement. Not enough to really know. Bike shops cannot afford to let a new, elite bike like the Levo SL get dirty before they sell it. So we have to just sit on the bike or, if we are lucky, get a short test ride on the street on a dry day to even know if it fits. So ebike buyers are left to research good and reputable reviews as to motor characteristics. You can very clearly see the "Late to the party" application of electric power in the closing shot of him hopping up on the bench. When he goes to wheelie the SL to drop off of the other side, you clearly see the front wheel is initially lifted by human power, and then the bike shoots ahead when the motor kicks in.
He talks about it (and the flexy Fox34 fork) here also:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Guess I am lucky then that my Levo sl doesn't have this late to the party application
I have done a few miles now and this hasn’t been a Characteristic on my sl

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
The latest firmware update involved calibrating the motor while pedaling to refine the power delivery. Problem solved. The video you keep referencing to criticize the SL is over 9 months old (both videos above- early May 2020).

Yes the Rise is a much better price for what componentry you get on the bike, and has more power. Some people prefer the progressive geo. I'm not disputing that.
Doesn't make the SL suck.

I replaced the 34 with a 160mm Pike. Sold the 34.
The '21 SL (expert and up) comes w/ an Elite 36 and a DPX2.

BTW, depending on what kind of riding you may happen to enjoy, the 34 is a pretty decent trail bike fork. I have a 140mm Factory 34 grip 2 on my SJ. Pretty freakin' solid.

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
Jesus, I'm getting stressed just reading this thread.
Reading at this forum, I would advice (though I’m not M.D.) buy an orbea, blood pressure should go down!

Not sure it is the best choice though. To me, when you do compromise like light ebikes try to do, rather go extrem. Having an ebike a tad lighter with the exact same motor (almost same behavior, exact same weight, equal drag) but only powerfully restricted, is not really a winning paradigm... But I guess there is a bike for everyone...

Rise is like a compromise within a compromising story! Go fullfat, go sl or even if young and wild go muscular. At the end go what ever the fuck you fancy! ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles