Levo SL Gen 1 Levo sl sizing help/opinions…

Ricardo75

Sep 18, 2021
Woking
Looking to get a levo sl as my first emtb and find myself in a bit of a Goldilocks situation - the medium isn’t too small and the large isn’t too big (although I do need to slam the seat post) so somewhere in between would be perfect!
I’m 5’9” (1.75m) tall with a 31” inseam, anyone out there of a similar size with a levo sl? What size did you go for and any regrets….

E759

Jan 20, 2021
West Sussex, UK
MEDIUM: 5' 8", 29 1/2" inside leg. Reverb AXS 150mm dropper (replacement for stock X-Fusion 150mm) is only 1/2" exposed, much less than the X-Fusion. Something to take into account.

j1e

Jan 24, 2021
Michigan, USA
I'm just under 5'11", and went medium (converted to mullet) as I also ride a DJ and 5010, grew up racing BMX and like smaller bikes.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Ok so I can comment as well, as we just bought one MEDIUM Levo SL Comp Carbon today, which will be ridden by my wife, but I rode it one bigger trail just to try it.
I am 177cm (5' 9.5"?) 82cm (32") Inseam. My wife is 164cm (5' 5") and 79cm (31"). I am short-legged, she's long legged.

After two hours, the 435mm reach bike (compared to my regular 465mm) feels just fine. I slid the saddle forward as the 75 degree seat tube is truly outdated, there is no way around it, you have to account for it. It's not matter of taste, it's outdated as hell. But after sliding the seat two cm forward, it feels just right again.
For me the bicycle felt small, like bmx, but because of it's weight (stock 18.6KG with heavy pedals and tubes, after tuning, 17KG), it's planted and you can get away with this size if you like REALLY NIMBLE bike. And the focus is on the "REALLY".

This might be different if you're coming from traditional geometry, but if you've spent any time on modern 'Long, low & slack" bike, whether Trail, Enduro or Downduro® you will not like the smaller size. If this is your first modern trail bike, you will be ok as it's similar to geometry of bikes from past 10 years or so.

Today I am putting on 170mm fork, 33mm Stem length to make it more enduro-ish, and that will reduce the reach by 1.5 cm and the cocpit size by another 1.5cm. After that, the bike will feel modern and fresh, but almost one size smaller.

It will be exactly where my wife wants it. Stable wheelbase, compact cockpit. Opposite of stock. This bike is great starting point, but it's not longer great alone as is. The geometry really shows it's time to slacken the headtube, steepen the seattube and longer the reach, just like current Stumpjumper EVO with S-sizing.

Otherwise...Comp Carbon in black is stunningly beautiful bike :- ). And it's very silent on flat road and screamingly loud on hills, but I knew that, and I am fine with it.

So... Kenevo SL for me now ! Just three more weeks.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I wasn't sure if I'll be fond of the asymmetric frame, but the silhouette is very clean, low-slung and simple. It's easy to love :- ). Black and glossy coat doesn't hurt either !
It has that "looks fast even when standing still" that often good performance cars have.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I have ridden both sizes (5ft9), bought large but wish I'd bought medium so I could get more drop on seatpost. Dont drink the 'coolaid' of modern geometry, go out on both sizes and see what YOU prefer. My 2014 codeine 29 is way more fun to ride than anything I've tried lately and Long Low Slack ain't all that great for 'allday'ers'

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Well I guess then Specialized themselves are drinking Koolaid as Levo SL is effectively the last un-upgraded bike in line up ;- ) Wait few months, you'll be surprised by the next revision. The future is "flexibility/options", i.e Kenevo SL, with options to choose your reach and choose your angles. You can go as nimble or as stable as you want. Nothing "un-fun" about that. Modern bikes are better than anything before them, for those who are willing to adapt.

The insertion depth on Levo SL & Kenevo SL indeed sucks, but can be partly alleviated by simply changing to OneUp v2 dropper, which is both smaller stack height as well as insertion depth, so 150mm can be swapped to 180mm drop without any issue. It ain't fancy like AXS, but looks cleaner, better and most importantly, provides what dropper post is supposed to, a drop.

phil_h

Mar 25, 2021
Powys, Wales, UK
I've had large stumpys for many years and love the fit/ride. I have a large levo which fits well, but rides differently... because its weight is different and its got 29s. The biggest thing is just a tendancy to lift the front on steep climbs. (I'm 6ft1)
I think the problem these days is that you dont see enough people riding with longer stems, so you dont think of trying one. Its just the same as sliding your seat back and forth. Get a medium and a slightly longer stem.

Patrick_MATB

Apr 14, 2021
Mannheim Germany
Looking to get a levo sl as my first emtb and find myself in a bit of a Goldilocks situation - the medium isn’t too small and the large isn’t too big (although I do need to slam the seat post) so somewhere in between would be perfect!
I’m 5’9” (1.75m) tall with a 31” inseam, anyone out there of a similar size with a levo sl? What size did you go for and any regrets….

I'm 1,80m and had chosen L which was also for me quite a bit too large. But I can recommend to the chose L and change the Bar with 16 degrees backsweep (Sqlab has those specials bars I guess) and a 20-25mm Stem. I have a 25mm stem and it fits perfect for me. And I like it more central the geometry , so I guess this changes will also change your life!

A1000

Aug 16, 2021
UK
5'9" and tried an M and L before going for M. The L would have required adjusting to the bottom end of it's geometry for me and I'm unlikely to grow any more, whereas the M was able inside the geometry envelop so could cope with growth or shrinkage ? Ultimately the M just felt a little more comfortable.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
im 5'9 rode extensively on both M and L, M is just too short and cramped for me. L just nice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles