Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

onkelshort

Aug 26, 2020
Germany
IMG_20201124_163812.jpg
IMG_20201124_163817.jpg
IMG_20201124_163836.jpg
IMG_20201124_163850.jpg

After cleaning the bike for protection foil (Dyedbro & SpeedyDecal), the bike will never be that clean again ;)

VRvento

Nov 25, 2020
Aliso Viejo, California
First post, owned the bike for 5 weeks, stock Sl other than putting a Lyrik 160mm on and a 55mm super deluxe air.
Love the bike! It goes 20 miles and 4k vert everytime I get on it, anyone know where I can get a range extender on a black friday deal?

127832365_697413671212633_4741418465319008690_n.jpg

CapnPaul

Nov 7, 2020
Los Osos, CA
Getting closer to completion. Just need to clean up all those cables up front. AXS bound!
Started as a Comp Carbon:
2021 Fox 36 (the latest upgrade) @ 160. New glossy finish goes perfect with the frame.
2021 DPX2
XTR Brakes
SL Traverse Wheels
Gradient bars (I know they're heavy, but very comfortable for me.
Rev Grips (love em, on all my bikes)
Minion 2.5's
Different seat (I forget the model)
Anvl Pedals
Sweet original NW Cup art fender from Dialed MTB. (I might be a little biased.

Also lucky enough to have a Levo Expert Carbon. Love them both but every time I ride the SL I like it just a bit more. I think the best power comparison is to tune one of your levels on a full power Levo to; Support 90%/Peak 45%. I may be wrong but that should limit things to about 240 watts total.

View attachment 40625 View attachment 40626
What is the Fox tuning code on your DPX2?

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
What is the Fox tuning code on your DPX2?
I got this tuning code off a DPX2 on an S-works SL (in a bike shop; I think it was a size large)...D6JH (sorry, no pic).

I just picked up a new 2020 210 x 55 DPX2 Performance off eBay cheap with tune code DWRR (Ibis Ripmo).

I wonder how the off the shelf models perform and whether I will like this tune.

I can still have Fox change the tune ($$).

0059940F-9899-4FD1-9A1C-3411A3DFE1C3.jpeg

Last edited:

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
Is It Possible to fit a 32 or 34 tooth chain ring on the Carbon Expert SL?
Who makes a 94mm BCH 4 bolt 32T or 34T?
I want the Levo SL, Versatile for riding in the mountains and Urban mountain biking (Need Larger than 30T)
My Carbon Expert comes with the 20MPH USA cut off. I be riding in the Frederick mountains in Maryland, and Urban riding in Washington D.C.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Right - Cascade link ordered, and a 650lb spring to replace the current 600lb I currently have on my dhx2. The 600 is a bit too saggy. It takes 2 turns of preload to get 32%. With the Cascade link, the firmer spring should be just as, or more, supple plus more progressive. I will report back...

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Does anyone run an oval chainring on the bike? Just curious as I’ve been running one for several years on my Ripley.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Is It Possible to fit a 32 or 34 tooth chain ring on the Carbon Expert SL?
Who makes a 94mm BCH 4 bolt 32T or 34T?
I want the Levo SL, Versatile for riding in the mountains and Urban mountain biking (Need Larger than 30T)
My Carbon Expert comes with the 20MPH USA cut off. I be riding in the Frederick mountains in Maryland, and Urban riding in Washington D.C.

Check that the chainring is for boost chainline spacing. I have a Wolftooth 34 on my Comp SL, another poster has the same thing and it fouls the frame.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Check that the chainring is for boost chainline spacing. I have a Wolftooth 34 on my Comp SL, another poster has the same thing and it fouls the frame.
Isn’t the sprocket/ star that the 94 BCH chainring bolts to that has the offset? Now if the chainring is a direct mount, yes a boost will probably be needed.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Isn’t the sprocket/ star that the 94 BCH chainring bolts to that has the offset? Now if the chainring is a direct mount, yes a boost will probably be needed.

Don't know if the star is offset. The Wolftooth chainring was recommended by the LBS and it works, the 34T fits with the chain guide and it looks like a 36 T would fit with the chain guide removed or modified ("everything must be modified" is the mantra).

EVILTaylor

Sep 8, 2020
Spokane Washington
I got this tuning code off a DPX2 on an S-works SL (in a bike shop; I think it was a size large)...D6JH (sorry, no pic).

I just picked up a new 2020 210 x 55 DPX2 Performance off eBay cheap with tune code DWRR (Ibis Ripmo).

I wonder how the off the shelf models perform and whether I will like this tune.

I can still have Fox change the tune ($$).

View attachment 45586
Thinking of buying the same shock.

Modcitizen

Sep 12, 2020
PNW, Usa
Does anyone run an oval chainring on the bike? Just curious as I’ve been running one for several years on my Ripley.
I don't think an oval chainring is optimal for the Levo SL. Unlike on a regular bike, on the SL the crank is not aligned with a fixed point on the chainring. For example if you backpedal on the SL, the cranks move but the chainring/chain does not. So your pedaling would not be in the preferred alignment with the oval chainring, which removes any advantages it would otherwise have over a round ring.

Hopyyz

Nov 27, 2020
San Jose / Bend
Read all 100+ pages and some of the other threads before deciding to sell my Ripmo and switch to a emtb. Picked up a L CC this weekend, I'm a little over 5'10" with 32" or so inseam, and very happy with the fit. Liked the idea of the SL still feeling like a playful bike and being able to ride without power (I've put over 6000 miles on a Giant Quick E+ for daily commuting in the before times and that's very painful when you run out of juice).

Looked at the new Santa Cruz bikes and the FF Levo was tempting but didn't want to bother with potential issues as my friend is on his fifth Levo motor after 9000 miles. I like to do long rides (30+ miles) out in Henry Coe and it's a long ride out usually with elevation for most of the spots I visit so favored weight and reliability or a miscalculation in range.

Got a nice deal on extenders at 25% off this weekend so picked up two thinking I'll be able to get some 40-50 mile rides in and not be too beat.

Did a quick checkout ride yesterday, 10 miles, 1000' gain at 99% on ECO at 35/50 which was a pretty good workout, I'm 215 lbs w/o pack and used 22% or 74wh. Plan to ride the same loop in different modes/mix to get a good idea of how this all works, still not exactly clear after seeing that same settings in different modes give different results so I'll characterize that myself.

Pretty happy with the stock bike but the loop I did is pretty smooth so I'll hit some more nasty stuff and get more miles on her before deciding what to upgrade. Was going to rip off the Guide RE brakes to switch to XT without riding them but they didn't feel too bad (after a bed in session) so I'll give them a chance.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their experiences, it really helped me understand the SL and I got exactly what I expected the first time I hit the dirt and an actual climb.

Ant

sl.jpg

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri
Read all 100+ pages and some of the other threads before deciding to sell my Ripmo and switch to a emtb. Picked up a L CC this weekend, I'm a little over 5'10" with 32" or so inseam, and very happy with the fit. Liked the idea of the SL still feeling like a playful bike and being able to ride without power (I've put over 6000 miles on a Giant Quick E+ for daily commuting in the before times and that's very painful when you run out of juice).

Looked at the new Santa Cruz bikes and the FF Levo was tempting but didn't want to bother with potential issues as my friend is on his fifth Levo motor after 9000 miles. I like to do long rides (30+ miles) out in Henry Coe and it's a long ride out usually with elevation for most of the spots I visit so favored weight and reliability or a miscalculation in range.

Got a nice deal on extenders at 25% off this weekend so picked up two thinking I'll be able to get some 40-50 mile rides in and not be too beat.

Did a quick checkout ride yesterday, 10 miles, 1000' gain at 99% on ECO at 35/50 which was a pretty good workout, I'm 215 lbs w/o pack and used 22% or 74wh. Plan to ride the same loop in different modes/mix to get a good idea of how this all works, still not exactly clear after seeing that same settings in different modes give different results so I'll characterize that myself.

Pretty happy with the stock bike but the loop I did is pretty smooth so I'll hit some more nasty stuff and get more miles on her before deciding what to upgrade. Was going to rip off the Guide RE brakes to switch to XT without riding them but they didn't feel too bad (after a bed in session) so I'll give them a chance.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting their experiences, it really helped me understand the SL and I got exactly what I expected the first time I hit the dirt and an actual climb.

Ant

View attachment 46047
Good to hear you’re Loving your SL. Question: Where did you find the extenders for 25% off. I need one!

Hopyyz

Nov 27, 2020
San Jose / Bend
I also need one! My guess is it was a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal somewhere...
Yeah it was a black Friday deal from Al's sporting goods in UT so I grabbed that and my LBS matched the discount when I bought the SL so I picked up another one. The one that shipped from Al's wasn't in the original packaging so I need to capacity test it against my new one. I went back to Al's site and don't see them listed anymore at all.

Miscel76

Oct 31, 2020
Melbourne
Just picked up a 2021 Levo SL Expert. Was on the fence between this and the full-fat version but seeing as I already have a range extender for my Creo and I need the exercise it seemed like a better choice for me. So far it feels great, they upgraded a lot of the components to what they should have been in ‘20, I’m glad I waited. Ignore the dorky pedals, found out last night my old MTB flats have a bad bearing.

View attachment 42331
Nice choice! have you weighted it already?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles