Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
if we compare the SL S-Works and full fat S-Works there’s almost 4KG difference.

To replicate this weight difference and see how it feels, go get 2 x 2 litre bottles of coke and strap it onto your frame ?

In all seriousness that 4KG weight difference is pretty significant in the way the bike handles ?
Sorry Rob, i truly cannot afford two 2 litre bottles full of cocaine ;-)

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
Sorry if this has already been answered, but has anyone confirmed (or calculated from the spec sheet) how much heavier the aluminium frame is compared to the carbon?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Okay so I borrowed a Levo SL Alu today (Specialized Concept Store in Newbury has then available for hire, only in Medium/Large)

Me and a mate hit up Swinley, now hes a fitter rider than me. And with the SL I mainly kept it in eco mode, and felt it was perfect. Used trail and Turbo a little, but nothing major, Turbo felt like a little to much if I'm honest - I dont know how people ride full fat ones.

We did 13 miles, and I got back with low 60s left - and that is mainly due to me testing out turbo mode. I think at like 10 miles, I was still in the 80s. Total insanity tbh and the bike was never lacking power. Made the ride very enjoyable. Even did a little with the motor off at the start, and you dont even notice its a ebike, its really good!

Annoyed with the Specialized app, it did some odd stuff with recording hte ride for strava. And recorded the odd points and not the actual route we took - Luckily my mate logged the ride on his Garmin.

At the end of the day I was massively happy with the bike, and I have put in an order with my LBS for a Levo SL Carbon Comp in Berry (its stunning in life) - which Specialized managed to give me the last one in the UK - Next earliest is End of the month of next they said.
Hopefully it will be here next week - I'm just off to order some invisiframe for it now...

The Specialized App relies on the GPS signal from your phone which was most likely in your pocket or bag. GPS signal is weak at best, especially in the woods and get attenuated easily causing errors. I always used to get Strava Segments missed or inaccurate data when I used my phone.

Garmin either on your wrist or bars is the best bet for capturing the ride. I’d really only ever use mission control to tune the motor or maybe try the new Heart Rate feature but I’m not that fussed about it as you need a Bluetooth Heart Rate monitor.

Glad you loved the bike!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Not sure if I should post this here or in a separate thread
I will be buying a Levo SL in the next few days. I have a S-Works Stumpjumper.

Leaning towards the Levo SL Comp Carbon. Ride it for a while and figure out what I like and don't. I would probably change drivetrain to AXS and also replace the seatpost to Reverb AXS. Carbon wheels (BTLOS?) are likely.

I could get the Levo SL Expert or even the Levo SL S-works, but in the end I would spend more but not sure I would get more (especially the S-Works version being ~$6k more than the Carbon Comp).

Am I thinking about this the right way? Appreciate your thoughts.

They said the AXS mech will add a bit of weight but Marco Who designed the bike has that set up, he even removed the mode controller and had a super clean cockpit, just two brake cables and if you get the Magura handlebar could remove them.

I’d love to give the AXS mech a proper try, although the shifter isn’t that ergonomic. Unlike the dropper which is simply awesome..

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
The Specialized App relies on the GPS signal from your phone which was most likely in your pocket or bag. GPS signal is weak at best, especially in the woods and get attenuated easily causing errors. I always used to get Strava Segments missed or inaccurate data when I used my phone.

Garmin either on your wrist or bars is the best bet for capturing the ride. I’d really only ever use mission control to tune the motor or maybe try the new Heart Rate feature but I’m not that fussed about it as you need a Bluetooth Heart Rate monitor.

Glad you loved the bike!

Yea I was wondering that Strava is usually really good tho, just wondered if it was the specialized app only issue.

Anyone used a garmin watch with the extra channel stuff to get details from the bike on a watch?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I think I'm going to remove the mode controller on mine and run mission control at 30 / 100 too. Looked super neat with that setup.

That was another thing Marco said in the brief, try running ECO at 35/100 (or your preferred min assist on ECO/100) He said you probably won’t need trail as much, super natural feel, and battery should last longer..

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
So ECO in 35/100 and i think trail in 60/100 as "life saver" in some moments should be enough then.
No Turbo at all..

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
They said the AXS mech will add a bit of weight but Marco Who designed the bike has that set up, he even removed the mode controller and had a super clean cockpit, just two brake cables and if you get the Magura handlebar could remove them.

I’d love to give the AXS mech a proper try, although the shifter isn’t that ergonomic. Unlike the dropper which is simply awesome..

I’ve got the XX1 AXS mech / shifter on its way from Germany at the moment. LBS were £925 for the upgrade kit, and bike-components are £658 including shipping. Genuinely can’t believe the difference in cost!

The shifter lever takes a bit of getting used to, but is great once you know what you’re doing with it.

Can you simply remove the handlebar switch for the Levo SL? I’d be tempted to do that too, as you can still tap the button on the TCU to change if necessary. Where does it unplug from?
I’d also dial down Turbo, as I felt it offered too much... although I’ll work out my ‘optimum’ settings after a few more rides.

Invisiframe ordered this morning... and my LBS are getting me the Reverb AXS and matching the best price I’ve found (£540). Funnily enough, they won’t match the XX1 kit price.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Perfect, I've been looking at the Vivo Active 3 GPS - I want a Fenix, but I can't justify the money just yet.

Garmin Forerunner 235 - Looks like the Vivo Active 3 does a bit more for cheaper. I wouldn't bother with a Fenix unless you want to totally replace your existing watch. I've got a nice watch for day to day so this is just for riding. I wouldn't use the music Function and navigation on a watch is too small IMHO. Some say take the watch off and put in on the handlebars, but then you lose the heart rate function.

If you want to do that get a cheap iPhone 5 or 6 and strap it to the Handlebars. I've also got an Garmin Edge but I never use it anymore and it kept coming off on branches and through trees, not to mention crashes.

I don't worry about having something so expensive on my wrist. Some guys have got Apple Watches as well which seem to work well, but again it's an expensive piece of kit in harms way to all the mud and crap in a crash.

The fake channel works brilliantly, sends the bike Battery Percentage exactly and you can also measure Ft climbed (separate app it's not a data field on the 235) as well as distance travelled so once you know your battery and bike you've got a very good idea of how much further/longer you can ride.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
If you want to do that get a cheap iPhone 5 or 6 and strap it to the Handlebars. I've also got an Garmin Edge but I never use it anymore and it kept coming off on branches and through trees, not to mention crashes.

I don't worry about having something so expensive on my wrist. Some guys have got Apple Watches as well which seem to work well, but again it's an expensive piece of kit in harms way to all the mud and crap in a crash.

I've got an Edge 820 and a decent stem mount. Haven't ever had a problem with the Garmin falling off before. The 1/4 turn lock connection is usually rock solid.

Can you get Levo data on your Apple Watch? Mine is usually buried under my gloves and jacket - but it'd be useful in the summer.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Can you simply remove the handlebar switch for the Levo SL? I’d be tempted to do that too, as you can still tap the button on the TCU to change if necessary. Where does it unplug from?

I think I can see the answer to this in 73steff’s strip down photo. Looks like it’s just plugged into the TCU? Next question - if I unplug it - do I need to get some sort of plug or blank end to go into the TCU cable so that it’s not left open and exposed?

Or just wrap it up nicely with some insulation tape or heat shrink over the top?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Isn't it about time the "Levo SL" had a shorted nickname .. like "SLevo" ? Pronounced "Sleeve'O'".

Levo SL owners can then at least have their own mini chant anthem when bumping into one another like "Sleeeeev'O, Sleeeeev'O, Sleeeeev'O" ..

If it turns into a mechanical and electrical disaster (which it won't) .. it could be the "Levo S-Hell"..

Oh god, I'm obviously suffering from severe storm induced riding withdrawal symptoms... Stuff it, I'm going out .. how bad can it be ..

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I think I can see the answer to this in 73steff’s strip down photo. Looks like it’s just plugged into the TCU? Next question - if I unplug it - do I need to get some sort of plug or blank end to go into the TCU cable so that it’s not left open and exposed?

Or just wrap it up nicely with some insulation tape or heat shrink over the top?
I’ll let you know. Going to do mine in a moment.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I think I am going to try a different fork.

@Gary Pike or Lyrik in 150? I know you are a fan of the Lyrik, it it worth it over the Pike for trail riding Surrey Hills?

I'm going to try a reduced offset with 42mm.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
what do you weigh @Rob Hancill and how agressive a rider are you now? Last vid of yours I watched I thought you'd improved tons on the bike... but hard to tell from that alone.

I'd only use a Pike on a dirtjump bike (Lowered to 100/120mm). I'm 200lb and you've probably guessed how I ride... ;)

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
Not sure if I should post this here or in a separate thread
I will be buying a Levo SL in the next few days. I have a S-Works Stumpjumper.

Leaning towards the Levo SL Comp Carbon. Ride it for a while and figure out what I like and don't. I would probably change drivetrain to AXS and also replace the seatpost to Reverb AXS. Carbon wheels (BTLOS?) are likely.

I could get the Levo SL Expert or even the Levo SL S-works, but in the end I would spend more but not sure I would get more (especially the S-Works version being ~$6k more than the Carbon Comp).

Am I thinking about this the right way? Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks to all who responded. I purchased a Levo SL Carbon Comp yesterday. Took it for a ride. I’m moving from an S-works Stumpjumper. The big difference for me is the ability to now get up steep, rocky hills that I would complete successfully 10% of the time. Now, with the SL in Eco (some times Turbo), I’m much more successful. This equates to a much more fun ride as well as probably adding a bit of safety since I’m stalling less (jumping off the bike)

I plan to do some upgrades and will post along the way.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
right now, pick the one that comes with a snorkel.
Thanks to all who responded. I purchased a Levo SL Carbon Comp yesterday. Took it for a ride. I’m moving from an S-works Stumpjumper. The big difference for me is the ability to now get up steep, rocky hills that I would complete successfully 10% of the time. Now, with the SL in Eco (some times Turbo), I’m much more successful. This equates to a much more fun ride as well as probably adding a bit of safety since I’m stalling less (jumping off the bike)

I plan to do some upgrades and will post along the way.

Sweet, enjoy. Pics?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles