Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

LS1Steve

Aug 18, 2020
SF Bay Area
I think I'm over the stock 34 fork and want to upgrade. I'm not the pro at confirming compatibility... can someone help confirm that these below will be a fit? I'm just really looking at axle and offset, is that all?

Any opinion on which one to choose? Others? Better places to get em?

Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate 29, 160mm, 51mm offset
Matériel & vêtements de montagne, escalade & outdoor | Alpiniste.fr

Fox 36 Float Factory, 160mm, 51mm offset (2020 model)
Fox 36 Float Factory Fit4 29 2020 | Jenson USA

Not sure what is different with this Fox 36 but I assume its just a 2021 model?
Matériel & vêtements de montagne, escalade & outdoor | Alpiniste.fr

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Got my EXT storia delivered yesterday. Took it for a night ride last night and got a little over confident and lost the front wheel. Went out again today and it’s so freaking amazing. Was a little gun shy with the crash last night, but on a casual run down this ultra rough and loose DH segment managed to tie my previous best (5th out of 1500 riders). It’s unreal how much better this shock is than stock. My 2021 Ultimate felt so plush with the stock shock, but in comparison to the Storia is now feels a bit rough :LOL:.

I am sitting at 210-215 pounds in my birthday suit and the 600 lb spring is dead on for the sag I like and I haven’t found a harsh bottom out.

I see a lot of people talking about 38s and Zebs in here. I haven’t heard any local feed back on the zeb, but I imagine it’s as plush as the Lyrik which is phenomenal. My buddy with a 38 took it to Colorado and said it was incredibly harsh on the braking bumps and he feels the chassis is too stiff. Says he misses his Lyrik. I found the 34 was just fine as well. All these people talking about how noodley their forks are I think are being dramatic. I thrashed the 34 and it was perfectly fine and has great damping. The Lyrik is a huge improvement, but the 34 was just fine. I’ve been riding for most of my life. I was raised by a bike shop owner and I now am fortunate to be able to buy any bike/components I want. I think the Lyrik offers plenty of stiffness without much weight penalty. I do foresee an Era in my future though after riding the Storia.

Unfortunately the rebound tune is a touch off with the heavy spring. It’s almost perfect totally closed, but I wish I had one more click, so I’ll eventually send it off when my stock shock gets back from warranty (snapped the shaft internally) and have Suspension Syndicate change the rebound tune to give me a bit more range on that setting. My shock came with a nice plastic tool that has the 12 mm socket and a 4 mm end which allows easy trail adjustment without lugging around a 12 mil spanner. They also sent out a 650 lb rock shock spring, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

only thing that hasn’t been upgraded is the cranks, post and seat!

D91C6EA7-610E-4042-9DE5-F85E80C3AAB9.jpeg

0228159F-7E90-4784-ADD0-B7E837245802.jpeg

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
I did end up going with a 55mm stroke on the Storia. I’ve also ordered a 160mm spring to give it a try on the fork. The 150mm seems fine on the front for enduro runs.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I hope you'll report back how it rides with the Fox 38 vs your normal 36. I'm trying to decide between the 160mm Fox 36 and the 160mm Zeb ... but perhaps I should consider the Fox 38. And if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter, please let me know. For reference, I like to ride to ride the steep/rooty trails here in the PNW, so definitely want to upgrade from the Fox 34 I currently have. Thx!
took a 2 week break from riding, but i got the chance to try the 170mm 38 on the SL
It felt good bombing technical stuff. it likes to wheelie climbing steep tech
I liked the agility when i had the 160mm on so i switched it back

i only know how the 2020 36 performs. compared to the 2021 38, the 38 is way better on everything if you don't mind it being heavier

i moved the 170mm to my kenevo to test out a mullet set up
IMG_1837.jpg

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
took a 2 week break from riding, but i got the chance to try the 170mm 38 on the SL

i only know how the 2020 36 performs. compared to the 2021 38, the 38 is way better on everything if you don't mind it being heavier

View attachment 42253
WOW. looks lovely in that colour. Custom job? I too not the biggest fan of black but had little option when I got mine.

mopar04

Oct 16, 2020
California
Just picked up a 2021 Levo SL Expert. Was on the fence between this and the full-fat version but seeing as I already have a range extender for my Creo and I need the exercise it seemed like a better choice for me. So far it feels great, they upgraded a lot of the components to what they should have been in ‘20, I’m glad I waited. Ignore the dorky pedals, found out last night my old MTB flats have a bad bearing.

BD62EB03-C1E0-4F2D-A428-E95C78AE2CF8.jpeg

Last edited:

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Just picked up a 2021 Levo SL Expert. Was on the fence between this and the full-fat version but seeing as I already have a range extender for my Creo and I need the exercise it seemed like a better choice for me. So far it feels great, they upgraded a lot of the components to what they should have been in ‘20, I’m glad I waited. Ignore the dorky pedals, found out last night my old MTB flats have a bad bearing.

View attachment 42331

What a great color. My main steed before the SL was a pivot 5.5 in a similar color (I think at least. I’m color blind)

mopar04

Oct 16, 2020
California
What a great color. My main steed before the SL was a pivot 5.5 in a similar color (I think at least. I’m color blind)
Yeah I wasn’t sure how “Satin Redwood” would look in person but I’m pretty happy with it. It’s the same color as the new S-Works Stumpjumper they just launched a couple days ago as well so Spec must like it. Only tricky part is finding accessories and components to match it since it’s a bit of an odd color and finish.

mtb_brett

Sep 15, 2020
SoCal
I know your response is a couple months old at this point but if you press and hold the "S" power select button it turns off the motor but leaves on all the electronics
Same as the “no assist” mode? Good to know. I’ll have to check it out! That would definitely allow you to remove the remote without any real compromise then.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Same as the “no assist” mode? Good to know. I’ll have to check it out! That would definitely allow you to remove the remote without any real compromise then.

The only compromise is losing the ‘walk’ button, but personally I find it useless for the stuff I need to push up.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
“Belt cover”? On a SL? I have no problem gently working off the seal on the drive side and lubing it as long as I can get it off without doing damage. I’d like to see an exploded view of the motor first or other’s first hand experience, on the SL motor, before I begin.
Mine used to squeak from that seal too but it stopped after about 1000 miles.

Modcitizen

Sep 12, 2020
PNW, Usa

View attachment 42253
Thanks for your report! I'm generally pretty oblivious to most of my equipment as I'm just focusing on riding and having fun. But I've done some awful things to the Fox 34 and it's starting to feel like an abusive relationship. I'm gonna try to be a better person from here on out. I'm gonna go with the Fox 38.

chinesederek

Feb 6, 2020
Windermere
I think I may have a problem with my Levo SL motor!!

Did a 32 mile ride today with 3750ft of climbing. Everything was great other than I noticed that when climbing the motor was intermittently turning off, only for less than a second each time, but it would happen numerous times on a single climb. Happens in both trail and turbo. I was riding with the RE plugged in.

Anyone else experiencing this? Would be good to know before I drop it into the LBS.

mopar04

Oct 16, 2020
California
I think I may have a problem with my Levo SL motor!!

Did a 32 mile ride today with 3750ft of climbing. Everything was great other than I noticed that when climbing the motor was intermittently turning off, only for less than a second each time, but it would happen numerous times on a single climb. Happens in both trail and turbo. I was riding with the RE plugged in.

Anyone else experiencing this? Would be good to know before I drop it into the LBS.

My Creo has done the same thing in the past, super unpredictable and hard to know when all of a sudden you're going to feel like you're hitting quicksand. Go in mission control and see if there's any firmware updates, the last one my LBS did seemed to get rid of most of it on my Creo.

onkelshort

Aug 26, 2020
Germany
Have tried offset bushing today and run it overall in high position + additional 0,25 degree. Don't know if I will stick with it but it is very agile and nice handling. Nothing for big and fast descending but for my hometrails very interesting.
Have somebody else tried offset bushing in addition to flip chip?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Have tried offset bushing today and run it overall in high position + additional 0,25 degree. Don't know if I will stick with it but it is very agile and nice handling. Nothing for big and fast descending but for my hometrails very interesting.
Have somebody else tried offset bushing in addition to flip chip?
It sounds like you’re using the offset bushing backwards from usual to increase rather than decrease the effective shock eye-to-eye. If so keep your eye on it. Compression forces tend to favor a shorter shock eye-to-eye. The offset bushing (actually an offset axle pin) may tend to rotate in the shock eye bushing and thereby decrease the overall shock eye-to-eye length. Thus you could end up cancelling some of the flip chip lengthening.

onkelshort

Aug 26, 2020
Germany
It sounds like you’re using the offset bushing backwards from usual to increase rather than decrease the effective shock eye-to-eye. If so keep your eye on it. Compression forces tend to favor a shorter shock eye-to-eye. The offset bushing (actually an offset axle pin) may tend to rotate in the shock eye bushing and thereby decrease the overall shock eye-to-eye length. Thus you could end up cancelling some of the flip chip lengthening.
Yes exactly, I run flip chip in low and offset bushing in the other direction (+0,75° instead of +0,5° of flip chip in high). It's alligned in the force direction, so I do not expect it to change position. Never did on my other bikes, too.
I've run both in same direction, both low, but this was too low for me in terms of head angle. It think it's somewhat like stumpjumper evo.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Anyone know if the fox 34 performance fork on the 2020 expert SL is any different from standard? Is it any thicker/stronger? They don't have any stickers suggesting they are Ebike versions.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Because you’ve likely installed them to lower a bike or make the mounts closer.
Meaning gravity keeps them in that position. On the SLs upper shock mount you’re limited to the TQ and it’s only carbon pressed against the bushing walls.
No, they were installed to make the shock longer to use a longer strike without bottoming the yoke on the seat tube. Not yet on the SL, but on similar shock mount bikes.

kmag

Jul 1, 2020
BC Canada
Got my EXT storia delivered yesterday. Took it for a night ride last night and got a little over confident and lost the front wheel. Went out again today and it’s so freaking amazing. Was a little gun shy with the crash last night, but on a casual run down this ultra rough and loose DH segment managed to tie my previous best (5th out of 1500 riders). It’s unreal how much better this shock is than stock. My 2021 Ultimate felt so plush with the stock shock, but in comparison to the Storia is now feels a bit rough :LOL:.

I am sitting at 210-215 pounds in my birthday suit and the 600 lb spring is dead on for the sag I like and I haven’t found a harsh bottom out.

I see a lot of people talking about 38s and Zebs in here. I haven’t heard any local feed back on the zeb, but I imagine it’s as plush as the Lyrik which is phenomenal. My buddy with a 38 took it to Colorado and said it was incredibly harsh on the braking bumps and he feels the chassis is too stiff. Says he misses his Lyrik. I found the 34 was just fine as well. All these people talking about how noodley their forks are I think are being dramatic. I thrashed the 34 and it was perfectly fine and has great damping. The Lyrik is a huge improvement, but the 34 was just fine. I’ve been riding for most of my life. I was raised by a bike shop owner and I now am fortunate to be able to buy any bike/components I want. I think the Lyrik offers plenty of stiffness without much weight penalty. I do foresee an Era in my future though after riding the Storia.

Unfortunately the rebound tune is a touch off with the heavy spring. It’s almost perfect totally closed, but I wish I had one more click, so I’ll eventually send it off when my stock shock gets back from warranty (snapped the shaft internally) and have Suspension Syndicate change the rebound tune to give me a bit more range on that setting. My shock came with a nice plastic tool that has the 12 mm socket and a 4 mm end which allows easy trail adjustment without lugging around a 12 mil spanner. They also sent out a 650 lb rock shock spring, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

only thing that hasn’t been upgraded is the cranks, post and seat!

View attachment 42202
View attachment 42203

Thanks for the input and little review of your setup!
I also have a storia coming for my Levo SL.
I am about 205lb without gear.
My bike has a cascade link and I was thinking I would need a 650lb spring, but by the sounds of it, a 600 or 625 might work better.

I have been running my SL with a 21’ 160 f36 and a 210x55 dpx2 with .6 volume spacer in it to make the shock more linear.(because of the cascade link)
This bike has been great set up like this! But want to try something different

I have a Mezzer sitting here that I am going to pair with the Storia. This should be a good combo!

I have a Storia and Era on my Druid, and it is amazing!

I was happy to hear your experience with the Storia fitted to this bike!

This bike is so much fun!

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
I have about 1200 miles on my SWorks SL that I split time with my modded FF Levo. I’m 170lbs and ride XC primarily. I found the suspension recommendation from fox too stiff for the rocks and the square edges on trails I ride daily. once softened up with 3-4mm static sag (60psi) it has been excellent and equal to the 36e’s on my FF. Before I was always 20 mm from bottoming, now it will bottom and the progressive tune of the fork became noticeable. The shock was identical in setup to my dpx2 on the FF. The SL is near the same feeling I get on my regular Stumpjumper. I love it.

RabbitHole

Oct 2, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
All you SL owners with the Jade X shock. Couple of questions:

(1) I am an (OLD) trail rider, technical stuff, not too fast anymore, I dont jump more than a foot. Do I need the cascade linkage?

(b) can someone post a pic of the shock on the bike, I thought I saw one, but cant find it now...

thanks alot.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
All you SL owners with the Jade X shock. Couple of questions:

(1) I am an (OLD) trail rider, technical stuff, not too fast anymore, I dont jump more than a foot. Do I need the cascade linkage?

(b) can someone post a pic of the shock on the bike, I thought I saw one, but cant find it now...

thanks alot.
I’m 67 years old, and it’s nice and smooth.

49B47A69-ECA1-4A23-89E1-81F5AB8E2FFE.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles