Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Anyone else got slight play in the stock Xfusion Manic post? Kinda annoying but nothing major, once corona is sorted I might try and get a replacement.

No play, but mine is pretty stiff to get moving (either down or up to full height). Maybe that's the trade off : Stiff or play?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Also pretty sure that even if you have power at 100% with support at 35 you’ll never actually get 100% power anyway?

Guess that depends how much power you can put out through your legs.

I mean, I run Trail at 50/100, and there's plenty of time's I'm going up a hill and cant get any more power out of the Levo by going to Turbo.

So with +50% assist, I must be putting out over 150W through my legs, and the motor is doing +50% to hit 225W and maxing out.

EDIT: My maths is so wrong here... hang on...

chinesederek

Feb 6, 2020
Windermere
Loving my SL Expert, but i have a question concerning the gears. This is my first ebike, having riden SC Hightowers for the past few years and near enough everyother SC bile in the years before that. Anyhow, what i've noticed is that when changing gear, especially going up the block, i have to really let off the power else the rear derailleur sounds like it is going to explode. On a 'normal' bike gear changes can be taken at full power. Is this a typical problem for ebikes or do i need to fine tune my shifting?

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
We have the bottom of the barrel SRAM cassette and derailleur on the SL expert and comp carbon so the shifting wont get any better until you change to something else. I plan on changing to the Shimano 12 speed HG+ cassette (XT level) and chain when I get a new wheelset with shimano microspline freewheel body. That combo will shift much better under load than SRAM. And yes I do plan on using the SRAM AXS derailleur with the 12 speed shimano cassette and chain as it works great because the shift spacing is identical. The B gap adjustment would need to be set appropriately of course and correct chain length for shimano. The AXS derailleur shifts almost instantaneously with a slight tap of the controller.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
We have the bottom of the barrel SRAM cassette and derailleur on the SL expert and comp carbon so the shifting wont get any better until you change to something else. I plan on changing to the Shimano 12 speed HG+ cassette (XT level) and chain when I get a new wheelset with shimano microspline freewheel body. That combo will shift much better under load than SRAM. And yes I do plan on using the SRAM AXS derailleur with the 12 speed shimano cassette and chain as it works great because the shift spacing is identical. The B gap adjustment would need to be set appropriately of course and correct chain length for shimano. The AXS derailleur shifts almost instantaneously with a slight tap of the controller.

This article is for you! A Mismatch Made in Heaven: XTR/AXS | BIKE Magazine

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Yes I read that last night.

The bike build he did at the beginning of 2020 is where I got the idea from originally but I am pleased that he provided more details of the adjustments so I will know how to fine tune everything. I have to get a new wheel set first with microspline.

The big advantage with the Shimano HG+ cassette and chain is that when shifting under load the chain starts the shift by resting on two cogs at the same time, so there is no crunch or jump of the chain, during the transfer from one cog to the next. I'm looking forward to going back to Shimano but the AXS rear derailleur is killer. Looking to have the best of both worlds.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Getting ready for the summer.

5A2B607C-B3B7-49C3-B772-5CEE4B75A7C4.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Getting ready for the summer.

View attachment 28179
SuperNICE ! and can we have a follow up thread on your insectararium ? (or whatever they're called).

I have to say, seeing your picture, I just WANT ONE purely from the lust factor . I think that's actually the best picture which portrays the full Ooooozzzzz factor ..

And congratulate Mrs Rob on her garden choices.

Last edited:

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Just got to soft pedal when changing gear, I've never been able to change gears at full power on my acoustic bikes, I just break the chains. Also I think the 12 speed is probably a bit more fragile too.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Loving my SL Expert, but i have a question concerning the gears. This is my first ebike, having riden SC Hightowers for the past few years and near enough everyother SC bile in the years before that. Anyhow, what i've noticed is that when changing gear, especially going up the block, i have to really let off the power else the rear derailleur sounds like it is going to explode. On a 'normal' bike gear changes can be taken at full power. Is this a typical problem for ebikes or do i need to fine tune my shifting?

*sometimes* I am sure the motor does a little kick after I stop pedaling. I've felt it when I stop pedaling suddenly to cruise and I'm pretty sure it contributes to some clanky gear shifts when I reduce the pedal power then shift Not always, just sometimes. Often a few times in succession, then it's fine for a while.

Just me?

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
I have AXS derailleur. If I change the cassette and chain to Shimano 12 speed HG+ do you have to change the front ring as well or can you leave it? If you have to change it is there any recommendation?

Thanks,

Kenric

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
My son is a mechanic at a Specialized Dealership and he sent me this picture. He said the motor and battery were freakishly light. I thought you guys might like to see this.

View attachment 28184
Cool! Ask him how you get the chain ring spider off those splines!
tried to take mine off to clean but couldn’t get it to budge. Ended up having to undo the 4 bolts that hold the chain ring to the spider.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Got to just under 200 miles on the bike today - should clock over this weekend. And I'm still in love with it, def was the right choice for me.

I've found doing a lot of the riding I've been doing around here, which is fairly flat, I'm constantly sat on the 15.5mph limit. But I know I can happily go over it and not really notice to much.

I'm easily getting 30+ miles out of the battery with no range extender, and with my fat arse I'm more than happy with that.

My only problem really is the brakes - they just dont feel confident inspiring on downhills, I think they are going to have to go and I'm going to go to Shimano 4pots.

IMG_20200401_124847-Edit (Large).jpg

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I went with the XT 4 Piston with the sintered metal pads and the 203mm front and 180mm rear icetech rotors. Awesome brakes. I have a post about swapping out the SRAM rear brake hose for the Shimano.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My only problem really is the brakes - they just dont feel confident inspiring on downhills, I think they are going to have to go and I'm going to go to Shimano 4pots.

Totally agree... the stock brakes are pretty poor.
I swapped mine out for a set of Magura MT7’s and the difference is night and day.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Totally agree... the stock brakes are pretty poor.
I swapped mine out for a set of Magura MT7’s and the difference is night and day.

I've had a look at MT7s, but I've never ridden any Maguras apart from the old rim brakes so I dont know if I'll like them. I know shimano and used them for years for DH so trust them.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I've had a look at MT7s, but I've never ridden any Maguras apart from the old rim brakes so I dont know if I'll like them. I know shimano and used them for years for DH so trust them.

I had Shimano on my last bike, and they were really good.
I’d never tried any Magura’s before these ones.
I read a whole load of reviews, which were all very positive - and decided to take a chance. Glad I did! Best brakes I’ve ever used.

I guess it’s all down to personal preference though.

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
I had the XTR's on my Kenevo and they were great. I now have G2 Ultimates on my SL and am very impressed with them. Great power and feel. Apparently the brake lines were re-designed and the modulation is like that of a proper sports car.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I have two friends (both riding Levos) that both had to swap out the Magura MT7 front caliper and lever due to not being able to bleed them properly. They were installed by a professional bike shop and the bled them over 40 times. Bike shops took them back no problem but they are very hit and miss. I have heard good things about the MT7 as long as they are bled perfectly.

I love being able to easily bleed my Shimano brakes at any time and get consistent results with zero fuss. The SRAM brakes that came with the SL Comp carbon were terrible.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I have two friends (both riding Levos) that both had to swap out the Magura MT7 front caliper and lever due to not being able to bleed them properly. They were installed by a professional bike shop and the bled them over 40 times. Bike shops took them back no problem but they are very hit and miss. I have heard good things about the MT7 as long as they are bled perfectly.

I love being able to easily bleed my Shimano brakes at any time and get consistent results with zero fuss. The SRAM brakes that came with the SL Comp carbon were terrible.
I may be in that boat. Haven't been able to get a good bleed on my rear MT7. Feels about 50% of the power on my other bike with old Code Rs. Front feels great - good modulation and power.

Swapping out the rotors (as I was trying to go with the stock Centerlines) to see if that makes a difference.

I really want them to work!

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
Also pretty sure that even if you have power at 100% with support at 35 you’ll never actually get 100% power anyway?
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 09.51.03.png

Specialized says it is possible. While 100% peak power refers to the maximum motor power, ie 240W, it is not totally clear what support is. It could be a % of rider input, if so then at 35% the rider would have to input 240 / .35 = 685W for the motor to be at max.

I wish Specialized would allow us to specify max rider power in order to guarantee that max motor power is within reach.

zatorki

Mar 23, 2020
Poland
Hello!

Which damping tune (Low/Low or Mid/Mid) would you recommend for the coil shock:

RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil RCT

in Levo SL?

L/L is used in Ibis RipMo, while M/M is used in Santa Cruz Bronson.

I personally prefer low damping, but this is rather related to frame's kinematics which is unknown for me.

Thanks!

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
View attachment 28283
Specialized says it is possible. While 100% peak power refers to the maximum motor power, ie 240W, it is not totally clear what support is. It could be a % of rider input, if so then at 35% the rider would have to input 240 / .35 = 685W for the motor to be at max.

I wish Specialized would allow us to specify max rider power in order to guarantee that max motor power is within reach.

I’ve found in eco set 60% support and power @20% it’s easier than the standard 35/35 . Which makes sense I suppose. I’ll just keep experimenting. I’ve saved 4 different settings for quick set up before each ride and depending on how far and how much energy I’ve personally got I’ll chose one that fits my needs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles