zatorki

Mar 23, 2020
Poland

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Thanks for the comparison, but these are 2 different bikes, e.g. coil shock (I even owned Capra LTD:) ).

In SL Comp vs SL Comp Carbon theoretically only frame differs and I don't believe it does 1,4kg increase.

As I say, it doesn’t. My figures are quotes of actual weights done by forum members. I actually quite like the idea of building an alu one myself but the 800g cost is a little high for me.

The exercise for the reader, that you haven’t done yet ?, shows there’s roughly around 3-400g between the two materials when YT do a build of the same bike in alu or Carbon.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Here is the noise.

It's not just part of the clutch mechanism or even play in the gears ?

On the bright side, if you leave that bit off the bike you'll get rid of the noise and save a tonne of weight, you'll also be able to ditch the battery, mode selector and TCU.

Badge it up as the "Levo SLow"

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
It's not just part of the clutch mechanism or even play in the gears ?

On the bright side, if you leave that bit off the bike you'll get rid of the noise and save a tonne of weight, you'll also be able to ditch the battery, mode selector and TCU.

Badge it up as the "Levo SLow"
It really sounds like space between the gears...could become a constant problem with all Mahle motors...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It really sounds like space between the gears...could become a constant problem with all Mahle motors...

Do you notice it when "in motion" ?

Not the same motor, but on my 1.3 Kenevo, it makes a horrible "mechanical ripping itself apart sound" when you come off the power (stop pedalling) and you're above the assist limit (25kph) ie going hard on the flat and ease off or going downhill and pedalling for extra speed and ease of for rocks/terrain/turns. If you lower the assist limit to 20kph it almost feels like you have it all the time. I've upped my assist limit temporarily to 45kph and it's pretty much stopped it, as with things as they are I don't want the motor tearing itself apart. (I suspect you can't hear it above 45kph because of higher ambient sounds/oap deafness). It could be it's not a problem and it's just the mechanism/belt accelerating up as it's been temporarily electro/mechanically disconnected above 25kph (guessing).

I wonder if the Bosch gen 4 rattle isn't something similar which is only present at 0 speed and above the cut off ? Some people don't notice it .. or they don't notice it on their first ride, but on subsequent rides - when possibly going faster, they notice it.

Which makes me wonder if the Mahle doesn't also have something similar ?? A good excuse to test it whilst going quickly ?? :) Roadies probably wouldn't notice it as the terrain is, hopefully, smoother.

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Do you notice it when "in motion" ?

Not the same motor, but on my 1.3 Kenevo, it makes a horrible "mechanical ripping itself apart sound" when you come off the power (stop pedalling) and you're above the assist limit (25kph) ie going hard on the flat and ease off or going downhill and pedalling for extra speed and ease of for rocks/terrain/turns. If you lower the assist limit to 20kph it almost feels like you have it all the time. I've upped my assist limit temporarily to 45kph and it's pretty much stopped it, as with things as they are I don't want the motor tearing itself apart. (I suspect you can't hear it above 45kph because of higher ambient sounds/oap deafness). It could be it's not a problem and it's just the mechanism/belt accelerating up as it's been temporarily electro/mechanically disconnected above 25kph (guessing).

I wonder if the Bosch gen 4 rattle isn't something similar which is only present at 0 speed and above the cut off ? Some people don't notice it .. or they don't notice it on their first ride, but on subsequent rides - when possibly going faster, they notice it.

Which makes me wonder if the Mahle doesn't also have something similar ?? A good excuse to test it whilst going quickly ?? :) Roadies probably wouldn't notice it as the terrain is, hopefully, smoother.
I only noticed it while "handling" the bike so far, not during riding. I believe while you are pedaling the motor "works" so there is no "space" between the gears. But for example i do hear the sound when walking down over stairs letting the bike roll beside me. Kling, kling, kling, kling, like this.....

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I only noticed it while "handling" the bike so far, not during riding. I believe while you are pedaling the motor "works" so there is no "space" between the gears. But for example i do hear the sound when walking down over stairs letting the bike roll beside me. Kling, kling, kling, kling, like this.....

Specialized have just created a musical instrument. If we all remove our motors and get together on line with the Bosch guys we could create a brand new sound that could pull people together in this lock down period. With the Spesh Klings and the Bosch Klunks we could be on to something here and bust some serious tunes folks ;)

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Specialized have just created a musical instrument. If we all remove our motors and get together on line with the Bosch guys we could create a brand new sound that could pull people together in this lock down period. With the Spesh Klings and the Bosch Klunks we could be on to something here and bust some serious tunes folks ;)
I would love to play HIM with my Mahle.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If we all remove our motors and get together on line with the Bosch guys we could create a brand new sound that could pull people together in this lock down period.

The less talented of us can bring our bike frames along, most of us have two triangles ...

In terms of names, I think we should immediately rule out the "KKK" the Kling Klunk Klangers.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Has anyone, before any lockdowns, done a significant amount of riding in the wet/mud yet? Any mud ingress into the covers?

Has it been washed a lot?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles