Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
I noticed something about my SL ....
If I have the bike in front of me and i lift the rear tire (approx. 10 cm) by grabbing the bike at the rear end of the saddle and then dropping the bike to the ground (preferably very hard ground), I can hear a sound that reminds me of a loose washer that jingles on a screw ....

The sound has developed more and more after several rides, but EVERYTHING is fixed, and I really mean everything. This is not a rear derailleur or chain noise but should come from the inside of the frame in the area of the bottom bracket (motor area).
Have you already noticed something similar or do you want to check out? I haven't opened anything yet because I want to wait for your opinions on this...
(Note: It should be really quiet, because the noise is really very quiet. Keep lifting and dropping ...

Thank you

zatorki

Mar 23, 2020
Poland
There is no differances. I've been other both spec's before getting the carbon.

The carbon has some slight changes, like the cover on the chainstay pivot.

I cannot believie Aluminum frame is more than 1kg heavier than its Carbon version. There must be some difference in components. 300g - 400g is max in my opinion.

Do you guys have any idea what could drive this >1kg weight difference between SL Comp and SL Comp Carbon while spec says everything is the same but frame?

I'd rather buy cheaper aluminum and replace suspension, than ride stock Carbon, but I won't accept more than 1kg from frame itsef, if that's the case.

Thanks!

Last edited:

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
I cannot believie Aluminum frame is more than 1kg heavier than its Carbon version. There must be some difference in components. 300g - 400g is max in my opinion.

Do you guys have any idea what could drive this >1kg weight difference between SL Comp and SL Comp Carbon while spec says everything is the same but frame?

I'd rather buy cheaper aluminum and replace suspension, than ride stock Carbon, but I won't accept more than 1kg from frame itsef, if that's the case.

Thanks!
components are same sl alu-slcarbon, its the frame.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
There is no differances. I've been other both spec's before getting the carbon.

The carbon has some slight changes, like the cover on the chainstay pivot.

Thanks!
Your right.

People pay for carbon because it has no significant weight advantages what so ever. I mean that front and rear triangle made out of metal cant be heavier even though more material is needed and is thicker in every area.

I mean if I stamp my feet and refuse to believe it because I don't want to pay for it then it must be the case surely?

I mean buying the heaviest version which is only slightly lighter than a normal ebike makes perfect sense.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire

Thanks!

I think the difference is around 800g (18.4kg to 19.2kg, L). Don’t forget for the SL all carbon models have a carbon rear end too. For the full fat Levo that only applied to the S-Works model. The alu SL has alu front and rear.

zatorki

Mar 23, 2020
Poland
Your right.

People pay for carbon because it has no significant weight advantages what so ever. I mean that front and rear triangle made out of metal cant be heavier even though more material is needed and is thicker in every area.

I mean if I stamp my feet and refuse to believe it because I don't want to pay for it then it must be the case surely?

I mean buying the heaviest version which is only slightly lighter than a normal ebike makes perfect sense.

I spoke with a friend who works in Spec and he compared several aluminum and carbon frames in past and the difference was around 0-200g on normal bikes (0g for Demo DH) and up to 400g in XL ebike which has more material than normal bike. This is why I don't believe fame only in the latest version made 1,2kg difference. Unfortunately he cannot compare SL for me as he doesn't have it on stock.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I spoke with a friend who works in Spec and he compared several aluminum and carbon frames in past and the difference was around 0-200g on normal bikes (0g for Demo DH) and up to 400g in XL ebike which has more material than normal bike. This is why I don't believe fame only in the latest version made 1,2kg difference. Unfortunately he cannot compare SL for me as he doesn't have it on stock.

What makes you think it’s 1.2kg? In addition, why not wait until your friend has stock, measure the weight to fully confirm and post your findings here? It would be helpful.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Your right.

There is more weight difference than that between the different types of carbon. Fact 9 and fact 11 I think they are called.

Which is usually the expert versus the s works frame material.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Took the chain and cassette off to give a good clean but couldn’t suss how to get the chain ring off. I slackened the pinch bolt on it but still couldn’t shift it. any ideas.

You need one of these.

095A9706-B6F2-40AA-9C9B-51BE7817D84F.jpeg

You will also require the tool below to fit over the end of your ISIS crank.
Warning
Do not use anything else to do this task as you will risk pressing the crank shaft inwards which is NOT a good thing to do :(

89532D5E-518E-4DA1-BCB9-BBF35465A59B.jpeg

Last edited:

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
The extractor tool must not be placed against the crankshaft!
Use the so-called „brose-hat“.

2C3C551D-45CC-4DE7-8AED-8E55772EB967.jpeg

EC30D799-BE01-4817-A30B-E0ACE76975DF.jpeg

06D39B42-AAC5-4D66-A047-DE8A0BADE379.jpeg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
It would be cool to see a few photos to see how it looks. Tempted to do the same myself.
Sorry but it was on a hire bike. Forgot to take photos.
I basically cut the bottom section in the middle, moved it over and cable tied it down. Didn’t fit as snug as it does on the Levo/Kenevo but still functioned the same and worked a charm. Top section fits perfectly
FCF3EFE1-8464-4209-97D8-7EA361DF6AAE.jpeg

D5745187-8C0A-4BC5-B345-F007580287AA.jpeg

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Last edited:

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Can you explain why please?
Is it because you could actually push/move the entire physical crank shaft sideways which is NOT a good thing to do?
If that is the case I need to buy the Brose cap :eek: and edit my post with the correct details.
I‘m sorry - I did not recognize that the SL spider is mounted in another way than the Levo spider.
My warning is for „normal“ Levo. (Maybe it is also valid for SL).

Levo: The danger is that by pulling the spider the crank shaft can be moved (pressed in).

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I‘m sorry - I did not recognize that the SL spider is mounted in another way than the Levo spider.
My warning is for „normal“ Levo. (Maybe it is also valid for SL).

Levo: The danger is that by pulling the spider the crank shaft can be moved (pressed in).

Thanks for confirming, that is very helpful and I will have to buy the Brose ‘hat’ as soon as possible. I will edit my post above too so it has the correct info (y)

Last edited:

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
I noticed something about my SL ....
If I have the bike in front of me and i lift the rear tire (approx. 10 cm) by grabbing the bike at the rear end of the saddle and then dropping the bike to the ground (preferably very hard ground), I can hear a sound that reminds me of a loose washer that jingles on a screw ....

The sound has developed more and more after several rides, but EVERYTHING is fixed, and I really mean everything. This is not a rear derailleur or chain noise but should come from the inside of the frame in the area of the bottom bracket (motor area).
Have you already noticed something similar or do you want to check out? I haven't opened anything yet because I want to wait for your opinions on this...
(Note: It should be really quiet, because the noise is really very quiet. Keep lifting and dropping ...

Thank you
It could be the brake pads rattling in the caliper. My SRAM G2 rattle like crazy.

zatorki

Mar 23, 2020
Poland
I think the difference is around 800g (18.4kg to 19.2kg, L). Don’t forget for the SL all carbon models have a carbon rear end too. For the full fat Levo that only applied to the S-Works model. The alu SL has alu front and rear.

I've just received email respond from Specialized saying there is 1,4kg difference between SL Comp and SL Comp Carbon and that there are minor component differences.

Does anyone happen to know which components are different between SL Comp and SL Comp Carbon?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles